Why "Enter the Nightbird" is among the greatest TFG1 eps ever...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, Feb 17, 2011.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    In case 25+ years wasn't long enough for you to watch it, spoilers ahead...

Now that that's out of the way:

According to my reliable reliability, this is episode 10 of season 2.

The premise involves a Dr. Fujiyama creating a robot called Nightbird. Nightbird is kidnapped by the evil Decepticons for evil purposes! Gasp!

The first thing I'd like to talk about is the first few scenes, wherein Dr. Fujiyama, presumably of Japanese descent, contacts the Autobots at their base. Politely beginning the conversation with a bow, Dr. Fujiyama explains his creation of a female ninja robot (In case you weren't convinced enough he was Japanese). Fair enough, Mr. Japan-Man. At the end of this conversation, Dr. Fujiyama once again bows to Optimus Prime. To my recollection, Optimus Prime reciprocates the bow. Wheeljack and Ratchet, the team scientist and doctor, exchange jokes regarding the inefficient of human technology. Much to their surprise, the ninja robot turns out to be awesomesauce.

This plays against the Autobots, as the Decepticons reprogram Nightbird for evil purposes. HILARITY ENSUES!

Many great lines are had during this episode. Optimus continuously restates the phrase "ninja-robot", much to my happiness. Optimus Prime also states, in response to Nightbird's feigning defeat, "SHE'S PLAYING ROBOTOPOSSUM!". That made me happy too. o.o

Megatron and Starscream later have a great exchange.

Starscream: She's not so hot!
    Megatron: She's hot enough to replace you!

Seems Megatron found a new EFF buddy o.o

This joke continues later when Megatron states, "You're definitely on my replacement list, Starscream. Hehahaha! She's everything I ever wanted!" At this juncture, Starscream punches Megatron like a bitter unloved housewife. Megatron, in turn, puts Starscream into a cage. An insightful look to domestic violence of today's time.

Megatron later views Nightbird's status through a TV screen. Seeing Nightbird kinkily bonded in "electro-mesh", Megatron utters a strangely elongated, "impressiiiive"...

FUN STUFF!

Now, onto Nightbird! Nightbird does not speak throughout the whole episode, characterizing herself as a true ninja. Despite her approximate 2 ton+ weight, she moves across the Autobot base without making a single sound. "Impressive. Most indeed impressive."

And with that Star Wars reference, let's talk about this episode's Star Wars reference. Nightbird, amongst her arsenal of sai blades, nunchuks and shurikens, also possesses a lightsaber, with authentic ILM lightsaber noises. After a certain amount of time, Optimus Prime consents to using his blaster on Nightbird in self defense, in spite of his promise not to do so. Nightbird, then holding her lightsaber, is defeated by the blaster, reaffirming Han Solo's statement that "hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side".

...THEN NIGHTBIRD DEVELOPS A CONCIOUSNESS OMG THE END!

On a completely separate note, I'd like to point out that Cliffjumper is the only one who is unsuccessful at jumping up the cliff in the Autobots's pursuit of Nightbird. Juuuust saying. .__.

In conclusion, this episode was (not) great, (but) definitely fun. It's among the more memorable of the season 2 episodes, and Nightbird would kinda live on as one of the few female robots ever prominently featured during the first two seasons of the Transformers.

Granted that I am rating this episode in comparison to other cheesy Transformers 80's cartoons, I'd give this an 8/10.

To hear me wax more Transformers lyrical, click here.

2. AMG

AMG Old School

I really enjoyed that episode, it was a good change of pace.

3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I laughed hard reading your post, KOREANdude! :lol 

When you put a lot of the G1 eps into perspective like that, you realise how silly a lot of them were.

Am I the only one that would like to have seen a sequel ep. to "Enter the Nightbird"? I wanted to find out if Nightbird was ever reactivated and developed a consciousness.

I liked Nightbird. Honestly, I'd like to see another deadly Japanese or Oriental-styled fembot one day. It could make for a very cool character.

4. tehKOREANdude

News Credits:
    Thank you for the compliment! G1 was definitely a memorable series, and there's no wondering in my mind why it has such a nostalgic presence in long-time fans' minds.

A sequel to Enter the Nightbird would have been fantastic. After all the abuse and chasing the Autobots inflicted and things she witnessed hanging out with the Decepticons, who knows what kind of angsty stories she has to tell? Actually, now I'm imagining personality Nightbird as Dr. Smoov's take on the fembots from "The Search for Alpha Trion".

I question whether or not a ninjabot can be as well portrayed as Nightbird. I remember my initial reaction to Animated Prowl was a little weirded out (though I came to accept it over time). You need that campy 80s setting in order to truly capture the awesomeness that is a female ninja robot of implicit Japanese origin.

5. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

It's episodes like this that made the pre-movie Transformers great.

Awesome recap, tehKOREANdude.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That whole sequence is just way too fun not to read all kinds of stuff into. Your synopsis is proof of that.

Which is why your subject was Why "Enter the Nightbird" is among the greatest TFG1 eps ever.

Consistancy!

7. tehKOREANdude

News Credits:
    ACK! The bane of a writer's existence >.<
    The reason for this can be attributed to my having written this synopsis/review for my blog, some time ago. Perhaps this episode is like wine, seasoning with age (not that a 15 year old knows much about this phenomenon >.>)

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's great because now we look at it without pretense or expectation, and just have fun with how crazy it is in it's concept, the gay undertones, and all the other campy stuff.

9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HILARITY ENSUES!

I read a heavy discussion about this episode over on ATTCM, and maaaaaan, I like your review far better. Cuts right to the important parts! On a side note, I always thought that Dr. Fujiyama wanted Nightbird to get captured and overhauled by the 'cons. It was all a big ruse so that the 'bots would return her to him with all this alien technology inside her. Yeah, yeah!

10. tehKOREANdude

News Credits:
    Yeah you'd expect some ulterior motives from a guy who made a ninja robot...for 'peace' and stuff >.>

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a great assessment. I like when people can look back at G1 episodes and just have fun with them, not over-analyze them and apply adult logic to them. Nice post, man.

12. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

MEGATRON YOU FIEND! :D  Gotta love it lol

13. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

haha altho that "adult logic" sometimes works with season 3 eps... sometimes ;-)

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will be watching this episode tonight, lol

15. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though my interest in Transformers has existed for a long time, my actual status as a fan is pretty recent. Thus, there is a lot of the various series's I haven't seen. G1 is among them, my having only seen season 1 and the '86 movie. :eek: 

Before I read your post I looked the episode up on Youtube. Had a few chuckles while watching, and overall found it to be a fun episode. Got some laughs reading your summery, too. Thank you for getting a rookie fan to watch an episode he otherwise wouldn't have watched for a long time. :lol 

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually this thread reminds me of what some "not all" writers for Transformers recently have missed. Yes, they can beat the shit out of eachother and it looks awesome, but we stuck around because they were written like people we'd love to hang out with.

Yes, it does come off as cheesy some times, but I don't want Transformers to be enlightening. I watch it to enjoy characters that are fun and often beat the crap out of eachother.

17. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

Ah Nightbird, the inspiration of my female seeker scientist build in WFC MP, in color and name. If only she had a katana as a melee weapon.

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

And don't forget, Nightbird is Robocop's sister! :D 

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember the first time I saw the episode, I was sorry it wasn't a Two-Parter. I've even read fiction about the episode. Enter the Nighbird is one of the best episodes of G1. Nice review.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I never got why they never brought Nighbird back but as in a Transformer shell.

:bay  That woulda been awesome.