why Elita-One and not Ariel? *missed G1 homage*

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by dark69, Aug 10, 2008.

1. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was watching "along came a spider" and i got to thinking why did they use the name Elita-One and not Ariel?
    they gave her Ariel's head http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Image:ArielWarDawn1.jpg and it would have been really cool for the story
    Ariel becomes Blackarachnia then get's fixed by Alpha Trion and becomes Elita-One just like in G1....but with out the Blackarachnia part lol

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Probably because "Ariel" is the Little Mermaid.

3. dark69

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara used it on there Arcee
    can they use names Hasbro can't?

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    yeah, actually.

notice that takara has only ever had to rename ONE transformer (Mirage/Ligier/whatever the hell it is in japan) where hasbro has to rename tons of them?

Henkei Octane will be named Octane, for example. where the universe version had to be renamed Tankor.

5. dark69

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh cool i did not know that

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Don't you remember? It was that episode where they were under the sea

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I honestly don't know myself, so I can be completely wrong. But then what is the story with Jazz/Meister? Or was Meister always his name in Japan?

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Most likely it was because the makers knew they could not get both of them into Animated, or could not decide who to use, so like Snarl/Slag made her a dual-homage to both while keeping up the original style of most characters.

9. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally like Elita-One turning into BA, didn't at first but it grew on me. :D 

As for Ariel, she might be Elita's sister... HOLY SLAG WHAT AM I SAYING?! I don't want that?! :banghead: 

Sorry for the mental scars peeps. Maybe Ariel will be a completely different bot... better?

Me <--- :noob 

jD001

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Isn't her name "Arielle"?

And wouldn't trademark conflicts only be a problem if Hasbro wanted to release a toy? Marvel and DC both have characters named "Captain Marvel" that are referred to by name within their respective comics' stories, even though Marvel have been choke-holding the name for years, thereby preventing DC to use it as the actual TITLE of a comic.

Takara never had to rename him. His name is still spelled リジェ, the same name he had 23 years ago. :) 

The romanization "Ligier" has always been a purely unofficial Western fan interpretation. The Robot Masters toy was the first toy sporting that name that was released as part of a toyline that sported romanized names on the packaging. By that point, Takara simply chose to use the spelling "Rijie", which is just as much a valid interpretation of リジェ as "Ligier".

It's like calling the capital city of Russia "Moscow" (English) or "Moskau" (German). Both are only interpretations of the real name, Москва (literally "Moskva"). No renamings as such. :) 

Actually, the Japanese verison is named オクトーン ("Octone"). Also the same name he had 22 years ago.

However, Takara did have to rename the Binaltech version of Ravage/Battle Ravage (the Corvette). Ravage's Japanese name has traditionally been "Jaguar", but according to Hirofumi Ichikawa, that name encountered trademark problems (he didn't specify with which name, but he said it had nothing to do with the car brand of the same name), so Takara picked the name of his US counterpart, "Ravage", instead.

Takara reportedly also encountered trademark problems when they wanted to release their version of Decepticharge as "Wildrider". Presumably, Bandai's "Kamen Rider" was too close. The Henkei redeco of Rodimus is now going to be "Stuntron Wildrider", oddly enough.

That isn't the first time Takara used a faction prefix as part of a name either: The TFC reissue of Perceptor was named "Cybertron Perceptor".

11. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

y'know, I kinda take issue with that too, since I'd like a "proper" Elita-One. What can I say? I like G1 Elita's nifty helmet, and I hope that if they don't cure BA into becoming an Elita similar to the old one that they at least upgrade Arcee with a new helmet :D 

12. atomicthumbs

atomicthumbs Bots > Savings Acct

If they had called her Ariel in the flashbacks, they should have really called Optimus Prime Orion Pax as well. But since his Cyberton mode was already established as Optimus Prime, they still should have called her Cybertron mode Elita-One.

Or maybe I'm just over complicating it. Who cares, I just can't wait for figures of her and Arcee (and Blackarachnia becoming Elita-One again in the show)!

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, Ariel sounds damned stupid for a robot name, even Bumblebee is better than that, and the name is freaking BUMBLEBEE, using Ariel would be the same as calling Megatron "Peter Pweller"

14. Wheeljack35

Wheeljack35 Well-Known Member

Not funny

Her name was Ariel in a G1 episode

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, and it's still a damned stupid name for a robot.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

Maybe, despite what all the rabid fanboys want, because the purpose of this show is not to just be one massive G1 reference and actually tell it's own stories in it's own universe?

Dammit, you want G1, then watch G1. Just think of the references in animated as the nice little touches they are, nothing more.

17. dark69

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't think its stupid if she was a jet it would be like all the beast wars names her name would be what she was Ariel the aerial jet lol

18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Not on every single Disney Princess toy that has come out in the last 2 years.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:

Mesiter was always the japanese name for Jazz.

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought that was probably the case.