Customs: Why dye?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by jonnald, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jonnald

jonnald Member

i dont post much but but i read pretty much everything that goes into the radicons section. and through this ive heard a lot about dying figures; the different processes, brand names, figures that dye well....but ive never understood the reason of dyeing a figure when you can paint it, so what i would like to know is what are the benefits of dying and when would you use it instead of painting?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Dye, from my experience, will last longer than paint will, depending on how well kept the figures are after they are customized. When painting a figure, you have to worry about build-up around the joints and other parts that are going to rub against each other. Where as with dyeing, it's much less of an issue. Though you do have to worry about warping and shrinking the plastic.

There are benefits and downsides to both methods. When painting, you have better control of the end color result, but there's a good amount of work you have to do to ensure that once everything is put back together, that it's still able to move and transform properly. Dyeing can be tricky, but done properly, the end result can be really smooth, and you don't have to worry about any small details being obscured by layers of paint.

In the end, I would love to be able dye the figures I've kitbashed/are kitbashing/planning to kitbash, but for most of the time, it's just not a reality, as you can only dye a figure to a darker color. In a perfect world, Hasbro would release every figure they make, in addition to the normal version, a copy in all white plastic and no paint apps. That way they could be dyed any color.

3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

whilst we're on the subject of dying, i've never tryed to dye aves fixit sculpt or milliput - presumably it'll take on colour entirely differently to bare plastic, leaving a built up part looking nasty?

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Painting involves adding layers to the plastic, which can lead to rub issues if painted parts make contact with each other. Dying changes the color of the actual plastic, but some plastics don't take dye very well.

5. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

I too would like to know some info on trying to dye aves products.

6. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Just to chime in on this discussion. Dyeing is much easier and longer lasting than paint. But never let your dyed figure come in contact with rubbing alcohol. The dye comes off scary fast much faster than any paint. It was like paint sitting on top of the plastic actually .