Why don't the decepticons use cybertronian weapon in TF1 (accpet for blackout)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Minh'T, May 28, 2012.

1. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    Yeah, look like they use earth weapon from there vehicle instead. And if they can make new weapon by scanning earth weapon so why don't the autobots do that ?

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

They just had earth-like weapons on Cybertron too maybe? It makes sense for them to use both projectiles and energy because it makes the fights more interesting and gives weapon diversity, unlike Prime. Oh, and Megatron used energy weapons too.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Starscream was trying to confuse the pilots, so he used earth weapons, and the others, possibly weren't weapons experts, preferring brute force?

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Shortcut to save money on cgi?

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Who says they were? Were those normal missiles Starscream was firing, or Cybertronian missiles made to look normal?

6. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Exactly. Or in other words, Robots (AND THEIR WEAPONS) in Disguise.

And when did Blackout use a Cybertronian weapon? By this I assume you mean ones like what we saw in ROTF and DOTM...

7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    His shockwave or pulse weapon or whatever that he used during the attack on the military base. We ain't got anything like that.

8. jametron

News Credits:
    Maybe you don't ;) 

Oh I mean, yeah... that's true...

9. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    I can't understand what you're asking.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    He's asking why the weapons used by both the Autobots and the Decepticons seemed so mundane and just like scaled up versions of what we have.

The only exceptions that spring to mind are Blackout's EMP Pulse and Shock cannon, Ironhide used an EMP like weapon, Jazz's magnetic hands, and Sentinal Prime's rust gun

A little variety would have been nice, see some direct energy weapons in addition to the kinetic and explosive based weapons. At least Ironhide should have been packing any combined selection being the weapons guy.

It's a minor critique but one I share, there was much room for possibility in the sort of weapons they could have used.

EDIT: Thanks Aernaroth! :D 

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Jazz also had his magnetic array.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm guessing it's got to be something to do with the budget because the people over at ILM really wouldn't have any problem with cool weapon effects if they were asked for.

13. Rumbleburst02

Rumbleburst02 Well-Known Member

Considering that in DOTM all that was left of a large portion of Chicago's population was clothes, bones, and ash; I'd say the Decepticons had some pretty unconventional weaponry.

14. jametron

News Credits:
    That's true... there were shots of Chicagoians litterally evaporating... or something! Leaving nothing but their bones to drop to the ground. That seems fairly alien.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    The OP is limiting things to the first film.

Maybe they used bare hands and melee weapons as a way of showing their monstrous nature, so that they wouldn't be humanized? That seemed to be the direction Bay was going in TF1.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

They seem to have stolen that weapon from the War of the Worlds remake.

17. Devil Prime

Devil Prime Well-Known Member

Ballistic, other projectile, and missiles/rockets are not unique to earth. There is no Earth type weapon, in the movies the Transformers have both energy and conventional weapons.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I miss TF having their own special powers and weapons/abilities. It's been lost from the animated shows too.

I suppose though laser blasts and stuff like that was considered not realistic enough for BayFormers to be standard TF weapons. Convential weapons always existed in TF anyway so having them isn't adding something that wasn't already there right from the very beginning of the franchise. But Star Wars type blasters would've probably given the TF too advanced a feel weapons-wise compared to the humans. I feel the TF had their 'futuristic' weapons and abilities scaled back so they'd seem on a closer footing to the humans and as such be easier to swallow being beaten by them.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Thats a good point actually, imagine if we'd had Skywarp in the movies and dicked around by leading the fighter wings on wild goose chases, lets them get missile lock and then teleports behind them and rips them to shred.....presumably while singing "Trolololol" over some loudspeakers.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Megatron, Blackout, Jolt and Soundwave are the only characters to consistently use an energy-based weapon. Everyone prefers ballistic force or in Sentinel's case, lethal acidic compounds.

Bullets and rockets are presumably used, because they can dig into the armour/weaker spots, and then explode, causing the defences of the target to break apart. Characters like Brawl and Shockwave need an insane amount of firepower to bring them down, so this strategy would be useful against their superior armour. Less hardy characters are generally targetted for the limbs or the head, acceptable weak spots.

Interestingly, in the prequel comic to the first movie, Starscream uses a plasma cannon to shoot down the F-22 he scanned, but after that, he uses the missiles/machine gun of the jet. Characters that used energy weapons are either Cybertronian vehicles themselves (Megatron/Shockwave) or use hand-held weapons (Soundwave/Megatron), so maybe their in-built weaponry changes to match the general technology of the vehicle form.