Why doesn't anybody make repro boxes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Noisemaze2006, May 4, 2008.

1. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

We have a company called Reprolabels that makes replacement decals for G1 Transformers. We also had that company called Transrepro, or something like that, and they made repro parts. We currently have the Chinese KO's & the blue & red repro Fort Max weapons floating around Ebay. So why don't we have a company that makes repro boxes?

I've been trying to get some G1 boxes but they either:

A. Sell too high
    or
    B. Are beat to hell

I know a lot of you will say repro boxes would de-value the originals but that doesn't usually stop anybody from doing it anyway. So why hasn't anybody done it yet?

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Er, there are repro boxes for all the recent bootlegs, often sold alone masquerading as originals...and they are of great annoyance to someone willing to pony up for originals. The last thing we need is more of the damn things.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There used to be a guy on ebay who sold good quality repro boxes of G1 cars with custom inserts for $15, with free shipping, which is not a bad price IMO. I forgot his name, I think it was Strata-somethingorother. He doesn't anymore though, it seems, but it has been done.

5. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Any new updates about Ken from Transrepro?

6. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like a place to get custom boxes for Customs/Kitbashes. I'd love a box for my G1 style MP Prime trailer.

7. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

the site is only still up because it was pre-paid for, and due to ken's stokes, can not remember the details and passwords to get his friends to take it down.

transrepro is a write off. strike it from the records. it's not going to re-open.

8. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Mirage's boxes does a good job

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Pretty sure he is finished aswell as he just had a baby or has one on the way.

10. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    True, true. His website is down, except for this:

11. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds like someone could corner the market. I wish I had the equipment to pull it off.

12. DJ Soundwave

Well this is why sites like that were shut down , and you hardly see anyone on Ebay selling Custom Packaging

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsid=EF50BB4F-D56F-E112-48A85C51782405B1

They haven't put up one on Transformers yet , but they will soon.... if you read the page just pretend that the name GI Joe is replaced with Transformers.....

Hasbro Doesn't want people to use their trademark stuff......

"All Hasbro artwork, such as card art, cannot be reprinted without permission from Hasbro. These assets contain Hasbro-owned trademarks and logos, and cannot be sold or reproduced without Hasbro’s permission"
    "
    Hasbro owned trademarks such as character names and the GI Joe brand name cannot be used without written permission from Hasbro."

i know of GI Joe Customizers who have been warned about this and have even lost their Ebay accounts....and then some.

13. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

What do strokes and popping out kids have to do with Hasbro-established customizing rules? :p 

14. DJ Soundwave

Nothing I was just saying that , this is why you'll hardly see any repro boxes , unless it's made overseas.

15. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    I know I'd be happy to get any kind of box for my poor Jetfire, original or repro......

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Not legally. I think Ken did have some legal problems with Hasbro during the course of his operating Transrepro.
    And while I'm not sure that Mirage's Boxes ever had any kind of tussle with them, I don't think he ever (or at least often) did original G1 boxes - they were mostly for custom characters, as I recall.
    Even so, judging by the Hasbro statement, they might even clamp down on that; that's hard to tell, though.

17. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Hasbro wants to protect their copyright, and theyare in their right to do so. However, it could help alot of collectors if they sold some boxes on their page.

18. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Notice how reprolabels has made a new market of 'custom' sticker sets for TFs that deviate from the original sticker sets? That is because straight copying of the existing sticker sets is copyright infringement and technically illegal.

At least if/when Repro labels gets cracked down upon, they have a nice batch of labels that are technically unique and do not have to be discontinued.

We all know why Repro boxes don't exist. using any official Art, Logos or graphics is illegal, IE: the whole box if it is made to look realistic. If anyone who did start up a website and began making them had a US address, they would be "cease and Desist" immediatly. They would have to be hiding in China to even have a chance at opening up shop.