Why does Universe Cyclonus look like junk, despite the awesome pics shown previously?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dilectus, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm no longer bothering with Hasbro's Universe line, the plastic is crap, the paint apps are shit and rub off just by touching them. Plus I really don't feel like paying triple of the US price on a toy that is just as shit as in the US.
    I now collect Henkei, importing those is cheaper then buying Hasbo stuff of the shelf, plus it'll be a higher quality.

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If only we weren't forced to buy these things at gunpoint!

Oh wait, we're not.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Getting Henkei Cyclonous instead he'll probably have a more accurate color scheme...

4. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

top heavy

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Buying something you don't like, when there might well be a version you WILL like later, is about as intelligent as giving an Admin a load of shi--OH WAIT.
    Why? Did they wipe out your entire family in a botched mob hit?
    Repeat after me, smiler:
    IT'S ONLY A TOY. IT'S ONLY A TOY.
    If you don't like it, wait for the inevitable Henkei version. See how that works?

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i agree that hasbro's not been doing very good jobs on some figures lately, but there's no reason to 'hate' em...cyclonus doesnt look as great as the early pictures we saw, but it still looks decent and im definitely getting him..henkei version will probably look better and more toon accurate...any other complaints u have apart from prowl? i mean, everyone had that problem..i didnt, strangely, but almost everyone else did..wat other reasons u got for hating hasbro?

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    re: the topic title

Photoshop.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Wow you'd think they had made cyclonus in to some moronic helicopter with a tank stuck to the front of it.

I really don't see what the fuss is al about, universe has been pretty damn great so far for me, sure the paint in the catalogue is different, I don't hate the toy nor do I think its worth waiting for the henkei version, really not a fan of chrome.

Also every one with paint rubbing off or other problems with there toys, you know if you have a faulty product you can contact the company that made it and they are obliged to give you a replacement one, hell even Hasbro UK can manage that with my alt wheeljack.

God you’d think some of you people had never heard of a customer service line.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You forgot squirrels.

Heh. They could always do a redeco based on that white KO. That'll show those rip-off merchants... :p 

Oh, yes.

10. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Dude I think you are a little too intense for toy collecting? You hate Hasbro but collect TFS.........HUH???????

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Overreaction of the year much? Honestly, the major differences between the first Hasbro stock photos and the later one's of the final product is the reason I don't usually form a full opinion about a toy untill we've seen plenty of pictures of the final product (usually in someone's review of said toy). Really the only opinion I can truly form around those heavily photoshoped pictures is about the mold, and even then that can even get a couple small changes before the final product. A good example of this is Hound. He had one normal hand and one solid hand, aka no hole for a gun, in the earlier pictures, but ever picture we've gotten since then has had him with two normal hands. This was something I hoped would happen with Cyclonus, as he too had the same issue, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. I'll still get him, as I oddley enough do like his color scheme. I actually like how it's not exactly like his G1 counterpart, toy or show. There really isn't any reason, imo, to "hate" Hasbro. It's not like they've done anything to actually cause harm to us in any way shape or form.

12. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    I somehow picture him as this spoiled, whiny brat who suddenly shifted from "I love Hasbro! YAY!" to "I hate Hasbro! BOO!" in a heartbeat and threw a tantrum in his bedroom after seeing the paint apps. Kids like him give Transformers fans a bad name. :peoples: 

13. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    But, but, but...This is the internet. My opinion is important! I must be heard.

If you think you have a reason to hate Hasbro, wait until you get a load of this...

Hasbro stopped over my house and stole my turtle. That's right they STOLE MY TURTLE! I also saw them kick a dog on their way home and steal medicine from a crying baby.

14. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    At this moment, probably not.

How so? Some of the best decos were repaints of existing molds. You also need to remeber that not only Hasbro, but pretty much all other toy companies put out repaints to maximize profits on a mold. If you take into account the complexity of a transformer and put it against a figure from another toy line in the same price range, the Transformer is usually the better value in my opinion.

I know it's already been explained, but let me repeat it just for the sake of providing you with as much information as possible. Prototype pictures are always, if not most of the time fully hand painted and/or photoshopped and will always look better than the retail product. Also, to say they didn't feel like painting it is absurd. The bottom line is Hasbro tries to keep their costs down to make their product more affordable. They market mainly to children. If they fully painted all of their releases then they would be priced higher, in the range of collectibles. Take a look at the Universe special edition figures, the TFCC exclusives, or the BotCon exculsives. They all cost more. So does Henkei. Why, because they're marketed to collectors who are willing to pay more.

You see, this right here is an attitude that should have no place in this fandom. How can you make a broad generalization as ignorant as "Don't they have any devotion whatsoever to the fans?". I mean really, if they didn't do you think there would have been a Classics and then the current Universe line filled with updated molds of characters from the past? Or prior to Classics and Universe where they were pumping out homage after homage in lines such as Energon and Cybertron? And one more thing. . . . .

The person you said this to happens to be someone who's been around the fandom for a long time and has made plenty of contributions to it, not to mention the fact that he's also an admin here. You should be a little more respectful than that. And furthermore, this is a message board. If you are going to post a rant about how you hate a toy company because of one figure that is not painted to your liking, then you should be mature enough to deal with any and all opinions that are contrary to yours.

15. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Keep trollin' trollin' trollin'

Keep that troll a rollin'

[​IMG]

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:

Huh? :sly: 

17. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are we sure those are photoshopped? I thought those were handpainted prototypes they use for their pictures? In any case, I'm sure Hasbro listens to fan outcry. Later next year we'll probably get "Premium Cyclonus" and then people with bitch because they already bought the first one.

Chris

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't get it either. For me at least, buying things off of store shelves is not only a lot cheaper than importing the Henkei versions, but a whole lot easier.

Actually they usually are heavily photoshoped pictures of the hand painted prototypes, which almost always makes for the huge difference in how they look compared to the final product. Honestly, I'm happy enough with how the Cyclonus we're getting looks. If they were to make a Premium version, he'd more than likely be an HTS exclusive, so I wouldn't really care about that.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    No, we'll get people who were glad they bought the original because its an awesome mold, but will also be pissed off and bitch because they just recently caved and bought the very similar to the Premium "Henkei" version.
    DN

20. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I usually get the Henkei version after I get the Hasbro one anyway, so I'm not really too worried about how crappy the Hasbro one looks....he's only a placeholder after all.:lol