Why does this offend people?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Mega Convoy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Mega Convoy

Mega Convoy Well-Known Member

Does it offend you if someone who is selling something you want asks you to make a reasonable offer for it instead of just giving out a price? Why?
    From time to time I decide to list some things and sometimes I don't know demand so I'll just say "make an offer" and either they don't reply back or they get all offended like I stepped on their puppy or something. Why do people feel this way? I don't get it! Any thoughts?

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get offended by being asked to make an offer, but I do get offended if I make an offer and the seller sends a reply back basically saying I'm a moron for even suggesting such a "small" amount. Not saying you would do that, but others on this board have. :redface2: 

3. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I personally prefer when a seller sets a price, then I dont feel like I am being obscene or screwing myself with the offer.

4. Mega Convoy

Nah, I wouldn't be so crass. Everybody's got a budget unless you're Bill Gates. :D 
    Thanks for the input :) 

asphalt, I understand where you're coming from but it works both ways. I mean what's to stop me from setting a price and the OP blows it off thinking I'm crazy? I don't mind haggling. Been to too many garage sales I guess. :D 

5. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I think that people that ask for offers shouldn't be offended at all because they are the ones that are asking. Anyone with half a brain is going to try and get it for the lowest possible price they can. Anyways....if someone makes an offer and you don't like it just say thanks but i was looking for a little more and ask them to make another offer

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with your stand. Almost all of my stuff is sold at cost...and once in awhile someone (in my country) would ask a crazy amount as in 1/2 the price!

7. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

I doubt I have dealt with you, but it does bother me at times because you (meaning best offer sellers) are basically running a secret auction, when just a flat price would suffice. I just let it be because......

What is more irritating, is when I ask about what range are you looking for and get nowhere or the seller keeps on with make an offer stick.

8. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

I also I don't like it when a seller says make me an offer. The problem is that the toy has different prices for everyone. So is just better to set prices, that way you know how much the seller wants.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Sometimes I get ridiculous offers, and I have no problem telling the guys that their offer is, well, ridiculous. People are well aware of the value of things, so I just find it retarded when they offer a price that's totally off. As if.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What he said. Some people will let stuff go for way cheaper than others will.
    *looks at $50 MP Magnus lovingly*

You really don't have a right to be offended when you ask people to make offers and they make one you don't like. YOU ASKED FOR IT.

11. Mega Convoy

That's just the point though. Personally I'm not offended by either having to make an offer or asking for it. But some people seem to be offended by the whole process. I've never understood this, but not offended. Much tougher skin to break than that.

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

In all honesty, I absolutely despise buying from sellers who do not advertise prices. If you don't have a price in mind, don't try selling it. Think of it like this: if you walked into a store and had to ask how much everything was because there were no marked prices, wouldn't you get frustrated? There's almost nothing I hate more when I'm shopping than going into a Wal-Mart or some other retail shop and finding a great item, but no price in sight, it's just annoying.

Plus, part of the thrill for me in buying stuff is getting a steal of a deal. I'm a bargain hunter, pure and simple and I've got some great stories. I also love to haggle, but only if an initial price has been set down. Now, this also works both ways for me. If I think a price is ridiculously low and I like the seller, I have been known to pay more than what the set price is, so please don't mistake my thriftiness for simply being a cheap bastard.

I just love a good deal!

Oh, and as for what megatroptimus just said, I can definitely see your point. However, I have found some insane deals on stuff that normally sells for many times the price I paid, so that's just one more reason to post a price. If you don't like an offer, don't ask for one. Simple as that.

I'll give out one of my real-life examples for the hell of it. I've been meaning to tell this story for a while now and post pics, anyway. A little while ago, I came across a local guy who said he had a "Japanese robot for sale", so I figured "what the hell, I'll bite" and went to take a look.

The dude had a minty-fresh-just-looked-like-it-was-opened G1 Omega Supreme sitting in his garage, absolutely 99.5% complete! The only things missing were the stickers and they had apparently never been applied. Like I cared, anyway, that's why reprolabels is around!

Anyway, I ask how much and tells me $25!!! So, what do I do? Whip out that money so fast I almost hit him in the face (not really, but it's there for dramatic effect). He just wanted to sell it and really didn't know what it was, I guess. He actually asked me if it was a good deal and I said, of course, "hell yes!". I also helped him ID another bot he had, one which we looked up and it turned out to be going for upwards of $400 (some Macross thing, don't know jack about the stuff), so were both happy. Omega had been in his garage for over a decade for whatever reason.

So, you see, the point is that he offered the price, I took it, we were both satisfied, case closed. Now, if someone had posted it here and asked for offers for the same fig., I am sure they would have laughed at a $25 offer. Am I right? (a rhetorical qustion, really)

And, that's how I feel about that.

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I dont know if offended is the right word, but I do find it kind of annoying. Cos usually the person knows exactly what they want, and them asking you to make an offer is just a formality. I'd rather just get a price and pay it, then tell the person "well, I'd like to pay this, but I could go higher." (especially because when I say that last line, they know they can mess with me)

14. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

People are often intimidated with it. I will offer what I feel it's worth. If it's not enough then so be it.

15. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I can say from my own personal experience with the matter that even if my item is for a best offer, 99 out of 100 times I end up making up a price. Whether it's a good price is a different story. Problem is I have no guideline except what I paid, what it costs and whatever I have to mark down from it being loose, used, etc. Still, I like setting prices privately and if the other end doesn't like it then we part ways, no harm, no foul.

See you're expecting to walk into a store when in fact best offers are more like auctioning because it's whatever it's worth to the buyer. Not everyone can or is willing to sell at a bargain. Not all best offers are costly, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

16. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I usually don't buy from anyone unless they have set prices, I might haggle a bit or ask for a deal, but to me, MAKE OFFER, just sounds like something has a big price tag on it, or the person wants more than it's actually worth, or atleast more than it's worth to me. Of course I realize this may or may not be true in any case, but that's just the way I see it, MAKE OFFER kinda makes me uncomfortable and uninterested, no offense to anyone. :lol 

I'm the same way in shops and at yard sales, if it isnt marked, I usually dont bother asking about it.

17. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Most of the time when I try to sell stuff with the "Make an offer" type of sale, it's because the stuff has no value to me, and i'm willing to let it go for whatever someone's willing to pay for it.

18. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Samana Rombuca -

The store example was a crude one, to be sure, but it shouldn't be discounted entirely. Obviously, buying from people on here and elsewhere is not the same because prices are (typically) fixed at stores, but the same principle applies.

As I alluded to before, when haggling, it is always best to have a starting point on the seller's end and I find also that more people are inclined to buy stuff from you when prices are advertised. When I, myself, see a thread without prices, I usually walk away as it's just one more hassle I don't need. It could be greatest deal ever, but unless it's something I must have and rarely see, I doubt I'd jump through the necessary hoops.

And don't forget that I also said that while bargains are my forte, as it were, I also can, do, and will pay higher on occasion depending on several factors relating to the item in qestion (eg. rarity). Obviously, I must pay the full average cost when buying at retail, although I do look for sales and such then too.

19. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I'm not "offended", but I am always suspicious when a dealer won't name a price. In most cases it is not because they don't have a price in mind, but because they are fishing in hopes that someone will offer a price higher than they are thinking.

A few years back, I had a guy one tell me that he had a "sealed" Wheeljack he'd sell me. When I got to look at it, it turned out to be bubble-sealed, but the box had been opened. I had asked him for a price and told me he didn't have one in mind - he knew "nothing" about these toys... I made him an offer of $50 (which at the time was maybe a little low, but certainly respectable as an opening offer).... All the sudden he went from "no price in mind" to telling me how he's seen these go for $300 on Ebay. Basically it was a complete waste of everyone's time and if he wouldn't have been so secretive about his expectations, we could have each made better use of our day.

From my experience it's always in your best interest to draw a price out of the seller. It's their item - They should have a price in mind... And 99.9% of the time, even if they say they don't, they do.

20. Mega Convoy

Some good debate going on here guys. :dj  Here's another thing to consider. I've noticed that in some parts of the world, people are willing to pay more because prices are higher there to start with, or they just really want whatever it is and are willing to pay more no sweat. I like to give people a good deal as much as the next guy, but hate it when I end up just giving away something I really liked to start with just because I have no idea what they're willing to pay. The "make an offer" to me is a great ice breaker just to get the ball rolling. It's certainly not meant as a slight to anyone, and use it only when I notice a considerable demand or I just don't have a clue what it's worth. That's happened a lot more than you might think. It's hard to keep up sometimes. :dunce  :D