Why does Target lie?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dr Kain, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Why do the Target employees always lie? A little while ago I asked two guys just standing in the toy isle chatting with each other if they have the Protoforms in, and they just say, "Protoforms? No movie figures come out until June." I explained it to them, and the guy then says, "I don't know anything about those," and finally denied them existing even after telling him their Hasbro vendor told me they are in the stockroom.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Just be patient. I found them at Walmart today, and I'd imagine they're going to be filling the pegs within the next 2 weeks.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Because they were two kids just hanging out at a place that gives them a minimal amount of money for a minimum amount of work and probably know absolutely nothing about toys. I think a better question would be why do people think that those kids who work in department stores actually know about, or care about, anything they sell.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Exactly. My wife used to work at Canadian Tire and somehow customers were expecting her to know everything they had in stock and on order by heart, down to the last tiny bolt. That's just ridiculous.

5. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Yeah, they don't really lie, they are just ignorant.

6. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I think the better question is why can't people be more patient? It's movie toys, there is going to be TONS of them.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It always amazes me when people assume that just because someone works in a department, they should know everything about every line they carry. We here might be into Transformers and could instantly tell the difference between Skywarp & Thundercracker but why would anyone that isn't into TF really know the difference? If you worked in toys and someone came up and asked about a certain Barbi, would you know what they were talking about? Probably not. It doesn't mean you are stupid, you just aren't into Barbi and know/have detailed info on the Barbi line besides really basic info.

As for the 1st post, he seemed to know enough that the movie toys will be out in June. Maybe he wasn't told about Protoforms (or even has any idea what they are). The amount of lies collectors (not saying anyone here) try to tell store employees to try to get them to get stuff out of the back room, can you blame him for not believing you? Especially since he knows there is a street date on most of the toys, he isn't going to risk getting in trouble getting something that might also have a street date on it (which they do - May 1)

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I have a friend who works at Target and he says that most of the toys that are considered collector's items don't even make it onto the pegs (the McQuarrie Concept sub line in the new Star Wars figure series, for example). The people in the toy department look out for themselves and anybody else they know who collects toys. My friend went into work one day and there was an entire case of new figures set aside for him.

Since Transformers isn't as collector-based as Star Wars, I don't foresee any problems picking up any of the movie figures, even the Robo-Vision Prime. All the Classics are on clearance to make room for them so they should be out soon.

Like someone said earlier, they're either kids who don't care or they're greedy scalpers. Unless you're lucky, you can't win.

9. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Thats true, however, thats either there fault or the store manager's fault, because people just assume when you work somewhere, you have an idea about things, so they either need to be trained better or have more intelligent people working there, same with walmart and all the other places like that.

10. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I would love to see you work in that kind of place. It's not humanly possible to know everything about everything, you do know that, right?

11. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Who said you have to know everything about everything? If you work in the toy department though and someone is asking you about toys thats not an unreasonable assumption to think you could help them. Here's an idea, if you dont know, get someone who does like an associate or a manager, how hard would that be?

12. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Yeah, besides if you work in a specific department, you should know what's going on in that department.

13. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not true i work in "garden center" and i know nothing about plants. they just put me
    there. i told them i know nothing but they said you will learn. so theres not really any specific department that any body works in. i know more about toys and TV's then most of the people in the store i work in. that being said he should have looked around and maybe checked the back stock room but customer service is very rare now days ​

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I worked at Target about 7 years ago. I can't speak for how things are now, but I have no reason to believe they'd be any different. Except for front lane cashiers, Electronics, and department managers, no one "worked in a specific department". When you clocked in they told you what area to go to that day. So they may NOT work in toys regularly.

Even if they did, collectors expecting them to have intimate details about everything is ludicrous. If you haven't worked in a toy department, you have no idea. I'm serious. There are literally dozens of different lines adult collectors collect, and they all demand you have as intimate a knowledge of their particular interest as they do. Most of them also treat you like crap, which both leaves you unmotivated to really try to help them, and also leaves you wary of other adult collectors who come along who might initially seem polite at first.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say both questions are relivent. Too many people are impatient and run out to the store as soon as someone finds one scent of a figure on store shelves. Heck, sometimes you get a Hong Kong sighting and some of the nuttier people start complaining about wasting gas when there hasn't even been a US sighting yet! Not saying that's the case here mind you, but people should learn to wait until there's a sighting in their state at least before they run all over creation and fill themselves with wrath because they can't find a couple hunks of plastic.

Furthermore, I agree with Zie... I work retail and I'm kind of shocked that anyone actually expects our underpaid teens to actually know anything. These guys don't have time to learn anything even if they do actually care, because most of the teen help only work part time and get thrown in a different department every night for the most part. So, even if you have a rare one that might actually care about their job... they still probably won't be able to help you out, because they haven't been properly trained!

If that's the case they can get into some serious trouble for that...

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I find it's best to not ask employees about this stuff. Years ago when I was in middle school I'd call Toys R Us asking if they had in specific X-Men toys...sometimes I'd get someone who would go and look for me, but 99% of the time they'd tell me they'd go check, then five second later get back on the line to say no or they'd tell me they did have that toy even when they didn't. So that's rubbed off on me as an adult. If it's not on the shelf I assume they don't have it and won't bother talking to any employees.

17. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    BTW, they're not "underpaid" since such a job doesn't require much education or specific training. Anybody can do that kind of job. It's just what it is : a minimum wage job. Now if the job is stressful or boring, that's another story.

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I think asking in friendly manner about a specific item in a generally descriptive way is ok and should be attempted if you really are looking for something that should be out. But arguing with someone who probably doesn't have the slightest idea about what you are talking about is pushing it. If you ask nicely, and don't push it, you stand a better chance of someone going the extra mile to help you, assuming they can in the first place.

Though you could always just enlist the help of an attractive girl, that always seems to motivate guys to go above and beyond what's asked of them.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've had a few very helpful Target employees in recent experience. Those tend to be the ones that ask me if I need any help. But if they're avoiding me or if it's toys like these Protoforms that I'm not very hyped about, I just see them when I see them.

20. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

No they can't. When I used to stock shelves at Walmart, all the employees were allowed to shop when we were done for the night. It's not fair, but if an employee wanted to buy the latest figures that they just put on the shelf, at the end of their shift, they could. Collecting is first come, first serve, and unfortunetly sometimes it's the stocker who's the first to get there.