Why Does Optimus Prime Always Get Beat By Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Revolution, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Revolution

Revolution Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime seems to always be on the losing end of a battle against Megatron. He is always beat.

It is in the comics, and in the movies...and well based on the clip the animated series....he is always out matched.

They seemed to be most evenly matched in G1, but in the movie he (spoiler ahead?) died...Megs lived.

Why?

:duel 

2. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I guess. . .because Megatron is powerful, and Prime is weak, with his love for his fellow Autobots, humans, etc. :) 

I have noticed this in the cartoon as well. More often than not, the Decepticons beat up on the Autobots initially, but then something wacky happens, and the Autobots end up winning. . .

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they were more than evenly matched in G1 Megatron always had to cheat in some way to beat Optimus one on one and in the movie Prime alone was what gavethe Autobots the upper hand in the battle.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Megs wins because he cheats. (I still think in 86 Unicron somehow helped Megs in his fight against Optimus Prime including getting Hot Rod not to listen to Kup).

5. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Megatron has always and will always be stronger. if Prime could beat him on his own, this war wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

6. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Prime is too soft!!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    G1 Megatron was a whimp, no challange.

Every Megatron since has been way bigger than Prime, on the premise that Prime is not a fighter, and Megatron is. Decepticons are always (usually) bigger. In the Movie (2007) Megs was savage, and brutal. In BW, Megs was cunning and brilliant. In AEC, well, it was so screwed up it basicaly depended on what mood the episode makers were in wether Prime was weaker or not. RID Megatron was a loser, he would rarely ever lead the Predacons/Decepticons, and when he did he faired worse than than his troops.

Animated Megs was said to be (and seems to be) a mix of '07 Movie and BW Megs: cunning, intelligent, and when he shows up it's "a big deal".

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Optimus Prime is compassionate... that's why he doesn't go and outright beat the living spark out of Megatron.

9. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb."

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Dammit, I was going to use the Dark Helmet quote.

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Spaceballs mania ahoy!! This is the second SB reference this day that I saw.

And Megs and OP are evenly matched. In the series Megs couldn't be portrayed as a competent and successfull, because of the kiddies. Censors wouldn't allow it. I mean, who wants their kid to grow up and be a dictator or a criminal overlord??

12. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

ahhhh, you beat me to it! :lolol 

13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Also, it's dramatic, and a touch of Worf Syndrome - Prime is supposed to be the toughest Autobot, aside from the really huge ones. So, he gets the crap kicked out of him to show that if he loses, everyone else is screwed.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I was also beaten to the quote dammit.

I think I'm in the minority in LOVING the fact Optimus isn't an all-poweful demigod anymore.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Agreed. There's good drama when you know the hero can't break out some super move to win but has to do it with hard work and guts - it makes you wonder if they will win, or how they will pull it off - when Prime has a supermode, you know he'll either break it out, or pull out a super attack to turn the tide. There's not as much drama in that as there is in snatching a dropped weapon, rolling out of the way of an attack, then turning and throwing the weapon at the guy he is fighting.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Exactly :) 

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I know it sucks to think like this, but I hope Prime loses from time to time, just to give that little bit of doubt each time he fights to make the victories all the more sweeter.

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    in most versions of TF fiction, Megatron is usually depicted as one of the oldest and most experienced Decepticons, while Optimus is generally younger (he tends to comes after Megatron kills the Prime before him). That's as good a reason as any.

19. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime doesn't fight dirty, Megatron does. That's definitely a huge advantage for megs right there. Megs is also designed for and around combat, OP is designed to haul cargo across the interstate.

Plus there's the whole issue of it being far more dramatic to have the hero get his ass kicked around and then have to rise up o the challenge, or best hero be flatout defeated and then have someone else try to gain more power, blah blah blah.

20. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

^ What he said.

Also, IMO, all Decepticons were built for combat. Autobots were not. While Prime was supposed to be the toughest of the Autobot "grunts," he's still no Decepticon, i.e. he's not programmed to destroy adversaries or perceived threats at all costs, thus his and the Autobot's methods of fighting and protecting themselves and other life forms can come off as being a bit...limited.

:dj