why does misb seem better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by untitledblinkfa, May 5, 2011.

1. untitledblinkfa

untitledblinkfa Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel weird after they buy stuff loose? I don't know what it is but lately I've gotten some universe deluxes and cant help but think a misb would have been better, even though the loose ones arent beat up by any means. I thinks its just in my head. Like I'm gonna magically open a misb and it'll be infinitely better somehow

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well the way I've understood it, one of the things that we've gotta factor in is how we're used to buying transformers, or even toys in general. In other words, if we're used to buying them from stores, then we're probably used to buying them in packages. I mean, there's the obvious factors of wondering about where the toys have been & whatnot, but I really think habit has a lot to do with it too.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Its just how it is sometimes. But I don't care most of the time. I'm perfectly fine with my used/loose Fortress Maximus. Lol.

4. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

I generally buy sealed items cuz I'm greedy and like to be the first one to open said item. :) 

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I'm fine either way myself. MIB/MOC, or loose, it don't matter to me!

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think it really depends. Most G1 figures (especially the ones from 87-90), I'm just glad to have in nice shape. As for newer figures, I have no problem buying something second hand if I can save some good money doing so.

Regardless, there's always the fun of opening a brand new toy for the first time. The only other things that trump that feeling for me is opening a shipping package of something I've bought (like a loose G1 Thunderwing), and completing a custom after all of the hard work. Seriously, there's no other feeling in the world like holding a custom that's just been completed for the very first time. It's like a toy almost coming to life.

7. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    it seems better because it is, its never been touched so ts gonna be clean and un-broken most of the time. How ever second hand can be a great way to get some good deals, aslong as the figures been taken care of and clean.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I buy a lot of figures loose from car boot sales so it bothers me not. Of course there is always that thing of not being 100% certain if everything is there and unbroken and a few times I've got a loose figure home and later discovered a cracked joint or something missing that wasn't obvious when I bought it.
    I've been collecting TF since 1984 but never felt it strange to get figures not MISB. In fact my first ever TF was a loose G1 Brawn I swapped with a school pal for. And it had a snapped off fist.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    loose figures do not bug me in the least, in fact i prefer to buy loose complete to save money as i am not a MISB collector.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Because we like virgins?

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Becuase no one else got their grubby hands on the actual toy.

I have no issues buying loose. The price difference between ML and MISB is astonomical so it took care of any issues I may have ever had. lol

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I ONLY ever buy MISB on vintage stuff when I am really concerned about making sure I have all the parts (sme of those old guys where there were a million missile sprues to keep track of etc.), generally since I'm an "open and display" collector, I'll take loose complete, and its lower pricetag, any day of the week :) 

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same concept as buying a new car versus used but on a smaller scale. You can have a mechanic check out the used car but at the end of the day you don't really know how the previous owners have used and abused the car. There's always the what-if factor.

There's also the every-day-is-Christmas factor. If I order something international I could save half on shipping if the item was new but removed from packaging but the little kid in me doesn't get to rip open the box!

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Loose is better for me. Because I play with my toys. I don't have OCD about it being touched by another. I prefer to buy it from another loose collector rather than a kid throwing out his toys. Yes, there is a difference in how things are treated. I look for good conditioned ones.

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't mind buying loose toys from people on the boards (as long as they have good seller feedback ;) ), at least I know the toys are from someone who know what they are selling. As a rule I avoid buying loose toys on eBay, it's hard to tell the condition of the parts.

I try not to think "this toy could have been anywhere" way. I disinfect thrift shop finds though :tongue: 

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    for the bacteria aspect, I go with the mentality of, "if you don't think about it, it will be alright"

17. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only prefer misb because you know you're getting a complete product that has 0 wear on it.
    I have no problems buying loose, but if the price is only a couple bucks difference you can bet I'll get the misb one.

I do this with video games also. Can't stand when a store wants to offer a used copy at a $5 discount compared to a retail sealed copy. I go retail every time unless theres at least a 50% price difference.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dunno, i don't care either way

19. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Its just in your head man. Sometimes its better to get loose, at least you know what you're getting.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't really care if my aftermarket toy is loose or MISB, I just try to find whatever's the most affordable (which isnt usually MISB, but some days it is!). People think MISB is better because it's "new," but that doesn't really guarantee the toy is in better shape. With a loose toy, the seller can confirm that it's got good QC. You buy a MISB toy and you could wind up with a headless toy that no one ever suspected was in there. Plus, the boxes usually either get thrown away or waste space in my closet, so why should I care about whether my toy comes with it or not?