Why does megatron have the worst movie leader class figures ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Vincymon, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

I'm trying my best to look at the plus sides here, but I still find that 2009 leader class megatron looks very cartoon-like when compared to leader optimus, and leader class starscream.
    prime: [​IMG]
    megatron :[​IMG]
    I've heard all sorts of rediculous praise going for this figure.. why ?

I don't think its that great, and here's why :

On a simple browse through radicons, almost any custom done on leader prime looks awesome, because the skulpt of the figure allows for it.

However, almost every custom of leader megatron involved heavy kitbashing to his arms .. just to bring it up to parr with prime. This only proves the point that once again, we have an excellent Prime figure, and a lack luster megatron.

I don't know why is it that movie megatron always looks so kool in his concept art, and so terrible as a toy.

On screen he looks like he has a cannon on his right arm, on the toy, he looks like half his left arm has been chewed out.

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro was working with Concept art when making the figure, there could have been changed down the road....

..... or Hasbro FAILS.

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I would admit that Megatron's Leader class toy for TFTM was pretty rough, but for ROTF I would say that Jetfire has been the worst so far. Yeah, there's Megatron's gimpy arm, but aside from that his robot mode and tank mode are pretty cool!

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Part of that is because it takes Hasbro about a year to actually design a figure. When the Megatron/Optimus designs were (nearly) finalized spring/summer 2006, Hasbro had a year to design/make their figures in time for release summer 2007. Given the complex nature of the movie designs, near-accuracy is incredibly difficult, if not impossible.

In the case of Revenge of the Fallen, Megatron was given a new design, so repeat the 2006-2007 cycle. However, seeing as Optimus was going to keep the same design in the movie, Team Hasbro had another TWO years to improve on the one-year-in the making design. Result? A masterpiece.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like him, I think he looks pretty bad ass.

6. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me ? He looks like a potato with the limbs just tacked on. His right arm is immovable like a huge tumor, his left arm is shriveled, has a transformation of 10 seconds.. and he is supposed to be a leader class.

Where is the sofistication ?

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I really hope the RotF design carries over to the next movie. I love the robot, and the tank, but we've yet to have a toy that accurately captures both.

8. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

This is pretty much the best answer you're going to get.

It was just his opinion. Just like your opinion is that the figure sucks. Also, there's nothing in the rule books that says Leader class figures need to be "sophisticated" or have a complex transformation.

9. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

More or less this. Prime is awesome because they got to try again and were given more time. Megatron had zero-hour alterations to his design for both films, and they had to completely start all over again for the second, so if he keeps this new design then I'm sure we'll see the definitive toy for TF3. Jetfire is clunky and inaccurate for roughly the same reasons Megatron is, and because he had that combination gimmick that ruined his ability to be so well-sculpted and movie accurate. Starscream looks awesome for the same reasons ROTF Prime is; this will be the umpteenth time that Hasbro is taking a whack at this guy, so he's going to rock.

Now, Brawl is a crazy fluke that falls somewhere in the middle and ruins the formula. He got a kick-ass toy the first time around, and that was that. I see surprisingly little info circulating on the design process that went into his toy, and I'd really like to know how he turned out to be such a success out of nowhere.

10. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    I'm a split end on Meggs.

On one hand, he is awesome. The fact his chest resembles The Fallens face is ingenious, and he clicks into place VERY well in both modes.

On the other hand, His tank is too tall, His arms are jokes, and his head looks stupid. I have made a jet mode for him and it looks fairly nice, better than his tank mode fosho.

I just wish we had a more complicated transformer with a menacing alt mode.

HOWEVER, I do feel he is underrated. I mean, what about his Voyager version? Sure it's got a cool tank and jet mode, but that backpack is really bad, but everyone seems to love him. And The Fallen! What the hell is his alt mode even supposed to be? A cybertronian destroyer my ass, it's just a pile of green with a cockpit. And jetfire can't stand for the life of him.

11. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like him I don't think he's the best figure and he could have been alot better, but I'm okay with it. What do you mean by cartoony?

12. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I still say that the one thing that would have saved that figure for me is if the "Murder arm" bit could have actually folded in half over the cannon. That would at least have created a much more solid looking design, closer to the on screen model like the Voyager has.

An elbow wouldn't have hurt either.

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't really like him either. I like the Voyager Megs much better.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    because megs' agent sucks? but seriously its likely and early model the leader class was based on

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Idk that they'll change to much on his toy the next go gents. Design new arms, change the head sculpt a bit, maybe put it on a ball joint and slim the back and shoulder area's down a bit so he doesn't look so hunched, and they'll have a pretty decent leader figure.

16. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

There is no head or waist articulation. Either would have been nice. ROTF Megatron's head is waaaaaaaaaaay too small. A larger, more accurate head on a balljoint would have been very helpful as well as a couple of retooled accurate arms. I hope for a retool in the possible premium line coming out next year.

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The Voyager ROTF Megs is the best iteration of Movie Megs so far, IMO, but the Leader classes ARE getting better. Hopefully, due to his main character status, Megs will get an awesome Leader toy next movie, one on par with ROTF Optimus. Perhaps Optimus might even get an even MORE epic toy.

18. Zarscream

Zarscream Well-Known Member

Meh, I couldn't of made the design for the toy and the movie, in a year, and i'm pretty sure anyone else could have either, so I applaued the toy designers. :thumb 

But, to save these drama's , they should post a design on here , half time, and then get these little, feed back from the fans.

19. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    If the Leader was more like the Voyager mold, except with a movie-accurate paintjob and a way to fold up the back kibble more compactly, he'd be a lot better.

20. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like leader Megs. The first movie figure was lackluster and I was happy to sell it off to make room for ROTF Megs. He's just a fun figure to play around with and his transformation is cool! Once you can get past the gimpy arm that is.

But yeah, hopefully Megs will retain this body for TF3 and we'll get a masterpiece like ROTF Prime.