Why does it matter how much the movie makes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grandum, Jul 9, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Ha! No, you're trolling because you asked to shut down a thread you disagree with.

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
  3. Archer

Archer Well-Known Member

You clearly don't know the meaning of that

I'm not asking for the thread to be locked, I just said "let it die" enough people already said why they care about how much the movie makes, the original poster stating again a again how much it botters him and why he doesn't see the importance of the other guys arguments is not productive.

Question was asked, answers were provided, anything else is just meaningless bitching.

4. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
  5. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice going avoiding my question by talking about my wording, really proves your point. *sarcasm*

Really? you haven't seen a thread that discusses something and then seen the ******edargument of "oh yeah? but the movie made xxx so therefore..." arguments all over the place? I k you'd better start reading some more threads.

I do find it kind of ironic though that you are posting in a thread that bothers you stating "If the topic bothers you that much, like another member said...IGNORE IT!!!!" don't you?

Yeah...see this is you making up your mind about what I've said instead of actually listening to what I'm saying...

here's what your rant reminds me of:

[​IMG]

Fans: Yay, the latest TF movie is making a ton of cash! :) 

Grandum: Yay, TF recognition

Grandum: Yay, sweet, it's a success

Grandum: Yay, awesome, they're talking about a 4:th movie

Grandum: Ok, great

Grandum: Yeah, ok we get it

Grandum: enough allready - it's a hit, we're bound to get a sequel - what more do you want?

Grandum: *sigh*

Grandum: *starts thread*

Grandum: It's a success allready, which is great and all..but beyond that, what's the point of the constant money updates?

Greyley: ZOMG!?!? WTF!?!?! It's liek teh bestest movie evvar in liek the entire world and like explosions and liek robots and liek did you know that nobody evver heard of transformers before the movies? Liek the entire world knows about transformers now!!!! *scratches head* why you a swedish g1 fan?

Grandum: *sigh*

@whiskeytango, thank you for your input - You have no idea how greatful I am every time I see someone able to conduct himself properly on these forums.

6. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    It's fun to see movies I like doing well.

7. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I think it's not entirely unlike sports. For a particular team, Fan A's only concern might be whether or not a team got the win. Fan B wants to know not only the final score, but what each guy on the team scored, how many assists he made, etc. I've seen that happen for a lot of movies, whether it was "Are you going to make a profit?" or "How much more can this movie make?"

And from a practical fan standpoint, the more money DotM makes, the more money Hasbro makes, and the more profit they see from the Transformers line, the more likely they might be to try things that are financially questionable, like, "Hey, why don't we give doing a new Omega Supreme a shot?" I don't think Hasbro making a big profit on the Transformers brand is ever a bad thing.

8. Grandum

News Credits:
    I hope you're not talking about me, but rather the guy in the video that was posted.

I think he's pissed because he really didn't like the movie and then got upset over people equating box office grossings with quality, which I guess is less of a TF movie phenomena and has more so to do with hollywood blockbusters in general and how they market it.

If however you think it was me that got upset then, no - my position is that it's great that the movie made fuckloads of cash, but that after stating that the movie is a huge hit and a success that it really doesn't matter from a fan perspective if the movie has made $600 mil or $700 mil.

9. Grandum

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think you're absolutely right in that. I can see similarities myself in it. I guess that where I start to deviate from it is when I look at transformers stats and go "wait a minute - money made? That's a kind of silly to go by, isn't it?"

I mean, if you compare it to sports again - take baseball for example. The fan B type of people want to know everything about say Babe Ruth - pitching stats, hitting stats etc, etc, etc..but no one in their right mind would say that Babe Ruth was a bad player because he made $600 a year whilst Alex Rodriguez makes $32,000,000

As for your Hasbro point. Well, we do see about the same amount of toys now as we did before the movies, so I think that Hasbro has a set limit for the amount of toys released, using some research that says that that amount of toys is best from a sales perspective. More toys would take away from sales from the other toys too much and then that would take away too much from their profit margins.

And looking at the movies so far the only toys we keep seeing are the popular movie characters because of the massive promotion with the movies. I mean if you were to make the decision to release either a Movie Leader class toy of someone that was depicted in the movie or an Omega supreme char the choice becomes obvious.

I dunno...I guess things would be alot simpler if Transformers were the sole product of a company and if that company both made and distributed the movie - then I could see it making more sense. But as it stands it's more along the line of "Yay - movie success - now we will get more...furreal friends? wtf?"

Oh, and thank you for keeping it civil, really appreciate that - you make some good points.

10. JazzSanti86

JazzSanti86 Rockin Out! Latino Style!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    With any movie I see and I really enjoy, I'd like to see it succeed, for me its that simple.

11. Deceptijohn

News Credits:

He's not mad he's just explaining how it is possible, in today's movie market, to make a lot of money even with a shitty movie and thus how profit is not a good indicator of quality film-making.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hahaha, bloody fucking hilarious. Now copy and paste this into just about any similar griping post. Also, expect heavy denial of this, because "it touches a nerve." -Rattrap.

Exactly, for "shitty" is based on his opinion, and that opinion is not the only one. In fact, I'd say it leans heavily on folks NOT thinking it's a shitty movie. The thing that happens is that the ones from the comic example above tend to make more noise, while the ones who enjoyed it move on with their lives. I mean the only people I see post articles explaining why the movie isn't "really making that much money" are the ones that are bother enough by it doing so, that they spend time writing about it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  13. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Oh please the fanboys are WAY more vocal than any of the people with less than stellar opinions of the movies. You can see it in any thread where someone has anything that could conceivably be considered negative to say. And I don't think I've read anyone say they are upset that the TF movies made money, but they ARE upset(me included) when people trot out box office figures as proof that their opinion(the films are great) is supported by evidence. A big box office take =/= a good movie.

14. Grandum

News Credits:
    Sure by all means - but do expect this to be copied alongside it:

Ahhh yes - thinking that it is shitty is just an oppinion where as thinking otherwise is fact, right?

You do realise how that sounds right?

Really? you don't see how much noise the people who enjoyed it are making? Read the forums!!! And just to set the record straight - I'm not bothered by the movie making money. I am bothered by the constant spam of it and the less-than-intelligent context in which it is spammed.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course they're vocal. They are excited that a movie based on something, that 20 years ago was almost non-existent, now has some powerful legs to keep the franchise alive for who knows how long.

That's how I look at it. I don't even have to love the movie to celebrate the fact that an "adult" transformer movie opens Hasbro's eyes to the fact that not only kids are watching, and we may get more adult-related content in the future, like a more serious cartoon and other direct-to-DVD movies (like Gi-Joe did). even if Hasbro is delusional enough to think that Transformers has Star Wars status, that can only mean good things for the fans. Somewhere in that mess of ideas, we might get something that works for almost everyone. Why the hell would someone who posts in this board want it to fail? Michael Bay won't be attached to the movies forever, and he doesn't even touch the comic or TV shows, so he's only opened the door to more creative interpretations, like TF Animated and Prime.

And of course no one is going to use the language, "I am upset the movie is making money." That makes them look like trolls. They will understandably say exactly what you said. But, unfortunately, it falls on def ears (or blind eyes), because not everyone has to agree with you, and just because you are presenting the negative opinion, does not indicate that you are right. Not liking something does not make an opinion more valid. It doesn't make one "less tolerant of crap." It doesn't make one more versatile in the quality of film. It is simply an opinion. And again, an opinion on a summer movie, that will make money because people are watching it and judging it as such.

Which is another way of showing the activity in the initial comic, LMAO. And the fact that you went through so much effort to create it indicates that you are REALLY pissed that people are not getting your angst at the movie's success.

Yes it sounds like someone creating a thread, and pages later, continuing to drive home his opinion, because he is trying to make it fact.

Anyway, this thread, as many others like it, begin and end the same. Ciao!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  16. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    That's true, but I think the big difference is that the ticket grosses do provide some information as to a movie's popularity with the general population. True, a lot of movies are going to have sold more tickets when you adjust for inflation, but we can at least compare the films of this year with one another and say, "Hey, it seems like more people liked this one."

I do agree that the movies will have an impact on what we see, but before the first movie, we essentially got core line of figures, with Universe a largely repaint/re-release line. Right now, we have two lines going(though Generations has slowed considerably), offshoots like Kre-O and WAY more subsidiary merchandising than we saw before. There's just more stuff out there in general, and I really do think having more money let them revive Universe not once but twice, and we've gotten some cool stuff out of it.

And a final thing I think that's good, if Transformers continues to make more money, and that's longevity. I remember when Action Masters warmed pegs in every store in town, and then Transformers went away. It almost happened again before we got Beast Wars. Now, even if a Transformers 4 bombs, someone will see profit in the brand. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

And no problem about being civil... it's far more interesting to discuss differing opinions than screaming the person who disagrees with you was speaking with the devil on the roadside.

17. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Because we want more toys and a 4th movie.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not really sure on some of those ideas.

Yes the film has made money but I think Hasbro knows that not everyone who purchased a ticket for the movie will purchase Transformers toys. Some people are just there for the movie and they move on to the next big release that gets lots of hype as a must see event. While it will bring some more people into the toy brand it's a tough call as to what percentage that might be.

Since Hasbro makes so many different products it's hard to say where any Transformers profits above the norm will go. For all we know Hasbro could be pumping the Transformers profits into gearing up for a big Avengers push next year to take advantage of buzz around that film.

Maybe Hasbro has something super secret up their selves for Comic Con or Toy Fair next year, but so far there hasn't been that really big pay off for the fans of transforming robots that aren't related to the movies. Generations got down graded to deluxe figures only and we were not exactly flooded with Transformers Prime figures in the display case at Bot Con.

Somehow I'm just not seeing hey the movies increased our profits so here are some deluxe sized Classics Construticons.