Why does Hasbro set collector-oriented toys up for failure?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Severus, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

So, with Alternators, Classics, and now Titaniums gone, I'm feeling a little bit jerked around, and I've begun to wonder: why does Hasbro set all of the collector-oriented toys up for failure?

There's some poison pill in every line that kills it: Alternators are just a bit too hard for the kiddees IMO, something that could easily have been fixed by a slightly less firm insistence that the interior be as perfect as it is. The case assortments and distribution on them were miserable as well. Mainlines don't get treated that way.

Titaniums were made of metal and don't hold up well under play, and their distribution sucked as well. And Classics? Well, Classics had none of those problems but were apparently given an end date before they were even released.

Why did Hasbro feel the need to stick these two collector lines with these distinguishing gimmicks that made them less attractive to the kids? Why did they kill them with bad distribution? If Hasbro isn't going to support these lines to a full conclusion, why even bother with a separate line that can be easily refused by retailers?

They've shown that they have no problem selling toys that aren't in the anime. Why did Classics have to end? Why can't the new Classics figures just poke up in the next main line from time to time? Why couldn't the Botcon seekers have been repaints in the TF:Animated line?

I understand that Hasbro is a business and needs to make money. But I'm beginning to feel a bit used and confused here. They throw out these collector-oriented lines for the bit of extra cash we can provide them, but as soon as these lines hit difficulties, difficulties largely created by Hasbro, they're gone.

Let me state that I don't think that either Classics or Titaniums had a "good run". I'm bitter about both. Neither lines produced enough toys nor made enough iconic characters. There aren't really enough of either line to look good on display, particularly given the lack of the big iconic characters. I'm about this close to selling mine off. Alternators were acceptable, but barely. Still no Ironhide or Ratchet or Bumblebee.

If they're not going to support these lines, why don't they front-load them with iconic characters so we can at least get a good set? I'm sick of it, and I don't think I'll be buying into any future collector-oriented lines unless this changes. Why does Hasbro keep sabotaging these collector-oriented lines?

Why can't we get something more like Classics that continues inside of these main lines or get an actual working plan to make money off of these collector lines instead of just throwing them out there and hoping they stick?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Thats what being a collectible is all about!! If they kept making the products on end, they wouldnt have value to them. Titaniums were never meant to be played with and some would argue the same could be said for the alternators. The classics line in itself told me at least, that it would not be around that long. For the most part, I think the Classics line was meant to get fans from the 80s back into the fold right in time for the movie.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

and stuff

4. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

because they want to irritate YOU!!!

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

As a collector, I'd have to say that both the Titaniums and the Alternators had flaws that kept me from going completely nuts over them.

Alternators were too limited in scope, it needed variety (military vehicles, planes, construction equipment, mechanical dinos) and the figures themselves had those dinky ass guns. The only mold that had a decent amount of weaponry was the corvette.

Titaniums were too much like statues. Way too much die-cast, too small, and too simple. I'd have rather seen them reworked and released as Classics.

Both were setup as niche products inside a niche area of a fanbase.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think it is very telling about how fickle the market it.

Do look at it that Hasbro set it up to fail, look at it like the Collector market is not strong enough to keep it going.

From what I have read, titiamums haven’t gone over very well and the alternators are more of a challenge to produce.

Honestly I get sick of rabid fan boys whining when they do not get their own way about toys.

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Something everyone learns in life... "you can't please everyone."

Some lines sell better than others. Sometimes companies want to move in a different direction, often ending things we like.

I guess you should just enjoy each aspect of your collection to the fullest, b/c tomorrow they might stop making it.

8. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

the altonators are goning to be picked back up after the movie run is over

9. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro didn't set them up to fail.

Alternators ran a good run of around 3 years. Sure they were complex but that's the point. Yes realistic interiors mean more kibble, more difficulty, but then it's a friggin model car besides being a transforming robot toy thinger.

Classics was always intended to be a short line. They weren't going to slide back the movie toys because of that movie thing being advertised. I don't think that Mr. Bay would like that much.

And Titaniums got the fujuckings from bad store distribution. Hasbro ships things out as they're ordered, blame your local Wal*Mart for not stocking things.

10. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I agree that Hasbro did doom the 6" Titaniums along with Alternators because of poor distribution and terrible case assortment. The merit; or lake of merit, of these toys may have caused them to fail at some point, but I believe they were cut down prematurely because of Hasbro's shotty distro. Anyone who wants to argue the fact that the distribution sucked is arguing simply for the sake of arguing. It's also a shame that Hasbro never even planned on giving the classics line a fair shake. They could have done a lot more with it, but the suites at Hasbro lacked vision and failed to see the possibilities.

And I'm sick of people on these boards who think they have a God given right to insult people just because they have a different opinion. This happens every time someone points the finger at Hasbro for dropping the ball. Hasbro is not almighty...they do screw up.

That's a pipe dream.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Titaniums = not intended for play.

12. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Maybe they like us enough to give us something we would like despite the lack of interest from everybody else?

I mean, if we didn't remember Transformers then this line would have just died like so many other old TV shows.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Titaniums = teh suck

14. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I'm sure I read that Rumble and Beast Ravage were the last Alts we'll see.

I also read more than than once that Hasbro would stop ALL the lines to promote the movie line, and once it was finished they would retake the lines that were succesfull. Now, with the really big amount of movie toys being produced, and the upcoming TF Animated series, I doubt Hasbro will offer us anything from the previous lines.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

You know, Alternators was originally intended to be only 10 figures, including repaints, the line was actually much larger and more expanded than initially planned.

I do agree on the distribution problem though.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Big tax dodge.

Orrrr....

Maybe we just overestimate our 'pull' as collectors and we can't support too many niche items on the market.

17. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Hey, nothing lasts forever.

18. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I have to agree with Case assortments being a big problem. Especially with Titaniums and Alternators. Classics were awesome but without a Cartoon behind them only the collectors bought them(and my 7 year old nephew but hes awesome like that)

19. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No kidding. They're friggin' statues. You display em. Not bash em together in the sand box.

20. cms64

cms64 Active Member

i wish i had gotten back into transformers before the movie. I missed out on classics and I'm not allowed to buy things online.