Why Does Hasbro Keep Changing The Name Of The Classics Line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Aug 6, 2010.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Just like the title reads why with every new wave of Classics figures does Hasbro change the name of the line?

Why not for continuity purposes let the name of the line stay the same? For example, Mattel has MOTU Classics and it will most likely stay the same the entire time.

I mean I can see changing the packaging art from year-to-year but why go from Classics-to-Universe-to-Generations-to-God knows what else in the future?

Is there a reason Hasbro does this? Can someone help me out? THANKS!!

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Easier to shove repaints in from previous lines, my guess.

Look at HFTD...new packaging make the repaints looks more appealing.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

To appease retailers. Retailers don't want to keep ordering the same stuff, so Hasbro changes the name. This is mostly because the line goes on long hiatuses, so stores don't want to order more of a line they thought had ended months ago. Retailers are a picky and bitchy lot.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Marketing.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The original Classics was just that, Classics. It was only homages designed specifically based off of G1 designs and concepts. Universe was something different entirely, and was actually a continuation of the original Universe toyline as opposed to a continuation of Classics. Though unlike the Previous Universe line, the new Universe stuff was mainly new molds based on characters from all over the history of Transformers. Generations, much like Universe "2.0" is not a purely "Classics" line either, but another catch-all series where they can literally throw whatever they want into the mix. However, unlike Universe, Generations will be nothing but Deluxes and Legends.

All things considered, they are each very different lines and changing the name highlights each line's change in focus.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Easier to market to both retailers and to average customers.

Also MOTUC is a terrible example. It's a online-exclusive adult collector line that releases one figure per month, not a multi-figure per wave line sold worldwide to both collectors and children.

7. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    To me, including the word "Classics" doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be G1 only. There's obviously classic characters from every line/continuity of the transformers universe.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It is a must in toy marketing, you've got to keep the line fresh in some way, and even subtly changing the name or subtitle helps. Kids get bored of old stuff quickly.

9. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    "Classics" was never the name of the toyline. It was just "Transformers", which included pricepoints named "Classic Deluxe", "Classic Voyager", "Legend", "Minicons", "Ultimate Battle two-pack" and then the various store exclusives.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The "Classics" line wasn't even called Classics. The packaging literally said "Transformers: Robots in Disguise" on it. And on top of that, it was just a filler line with the delay of the first movie.

So after the movie, and with the popularity of the Classics figures, Hasbro decided to keep the theme going. Only instead of creating and marketing it under a new line, to use a line that already existed: "Transformers: Universe." Only now instead of being a strict repaint line, they were throwing in some new mold figures along with redecos here and there.

Hasbro then decided that with the first movie's popularity, they were just going to blitz the market with RotF. They cut out every other Transformers toyline so that the entirety it of the shelf space was going to be devoted to RotF (instead of splitting it's space among Universe, Animated, etc.).

They declared the Universe line done. No biggie. Why? Because now under the new Generations moniker, they're cutting out the redeco aspect of the Universe line. I doubt we'll be seeing all the Micromaster "homages" with Generations. Most of the figures are going to be new molds, and if not, then they're recent molds such a Red Alert and Thrust.

The name of the toyline is nothing but marketing. "Hey Target, we want you to pick up this old toyline that we stopped shipping to you last year." versus "Hey Target, we got a new toyline for your shelves."

The important thing is the design aesthetic of the figures and the direction they're going. I could care less what the box says.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Marketing, of course!

12. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    On one of the lower corners of the bubble on each carded figure, it said "classic deluxe" etc. Hence the name "Classics"

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's something they do with all the toy lines. GI Joe keeps getting new names even though the style might be like what has just came out. Star Wars does the same thing. Even Marvel Universe went from Fury Files to Hammer Files with everything else being the same like the one female mold they keep using over and over even though Kitty Pryde is only that "developed" in fan fiction.

14. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

Pick one:

1) Because Hasbro actually hate Transformers and their fans.
    2) Because Transformers has a much much wider range of characters to draw from than He-Man.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

To keep the concept fresh.

16. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Out of everything that's been announced for Generations so far... what ISN'T G1? Universe had a few non-G1 things, but so far, even concepts, are all G1 related.

Don't say Drift or Darkmount, either, because Darkmount is Marvel Comics G1, and Drift is retro-G1.

17. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Easier to sell to retailers as a "new line" as opposed to an old line that already lost its momentum and started warming pegs at some point

18. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

WFC Optimus Prime, WTC Bumblebee, WFC Megatron, WFC Soundwave, WFC Cliffjumper, Perceptor, and Reflector.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    What do you think I'm talking about when I mention the names of pricepoints?

Hasbro still never named the line itself "Classics".

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To shock and confuse people who remain resolutely convinced every time a new movie line hits that the line is dead forever and we'll never see new mold G1 characters again.

You know who you are.