Why does everyone compare Battleship to Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Megatron1, Aug 28, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Except that comparing Battleship to Transformers isn't 'flipping out'.

2. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

2 - Dumb protagonist with Fanservice woman or something.
    dont forget that the fucking actors sucked balls like the actors in green hornet and battle LA

3. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I generally agree.

I think in general trying to make movies out of toy lines is questionable. What every executive in Hollywood seems to have missed as they bought up toy rights trying to be the next transformers is this-

Transformers is a very special concept. It was always right for a movie, the very definition of a summer blockbuster. It's just that for years nobody really had the tools to make a live action transformers movie.

Vehicles that turn into robots and fight- everybody loves this concept. Could they have drawn more from the history, sure. But they didn't need to. Giant robots that turn into cars. That's all they ever needed (and unfortunately for us, just about all Bay provided)

Battleship is a movie about an alien invasion (which has been done so many times you have to knock it out of the park for anyone to care), and somehow incomprehensibly (at least from the ads) this all ties into a 50 year old game where you call out letters and numbers and look for boats. Wtf?!?!

Battleship only existed as a really dumb attempt to cash in on transformers success. Why else did they add aliens and giant robots to begin with?

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

People make the comparison because the trailers did everything they could to sell Battleship being just like Transformers. If you had missed the part where it says Battleship it would have been easy to confuse the trailer as some sort of early trailer for Transformer 4.

While the movies might actually be different after you have watched them not many people bothered to see Battleship because bigger films were out this year like Avengers, Spiderman, and Batman. The movie trailers are about the only thing most people have to go on.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't agree that isn't possible to make a good movie based on most toy lines/board games. As long as the story is good, I don't see what would limit it. They should have been able to do better with Battleship unless you are saying it is impossible to make a navy ship movie. You could easily just have a WWII movie and call it Battleship. Just somehow work in the grid pattern & have some line about sinking a battleship.

What I think went wrong with the movie is they turned it into a alien invasion movie which people just don't think of when they think of the board game.

6. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I know when I saw the previews, the wheel/shaped robots IMMEDIATELY made me think of the Transformers films.
    -------

Next up! Chutes & Ladders with Bruce Willis...Hungry Hungry Hippos with Jeff Goldblum...why stop now?

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    'Cause before they compared DOTM to BATTLE LOS ANGELES. BATTLESHIP was just next on the list.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I found it strange they made the Battleship movie about fighting advanced aliens when Battleships haven't been a relevant part of naval combat for 60 years, from our OWN technological perspective.

9. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
  10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I hope it's either a gritty cat-and-mouse business drama set in the great depression, or a surrealist piece on corporatism like The Hudsucker Proxy blended with Brazil.

Both ideas feature an alien invasion prominently, naturally.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm guessing they didn't want to do something historical since the best battleship stories are about ships that aren't US ships. Given the special effects that film makers have these days you could make a great movie about the HMS Hood vs the Bismarck, but that would be a British vs German movie.

Film makers seem to shy away from alternative history films, which is really too bad because could you imagine how cool a movie would be of the Yamato taking on the US fleet instead of the tragic end the Yamato had.

Aircraft really took battleships down to just a supporting role so the most famous battleship the US had is known for sinking in Pearl Harbor rather than for fighting the enemy.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It should've been battleships - in space.

Although then that would've maybe just been Star Wars.

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Considering TRANSFORMERS was inspired partly by STAR WARS, I see no problem if that DOES occur in TF4.

14. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Last I heard it was a sci-fi film Ridley Scott was developing- no I'm not kidding. For a while I wondered what he knew that we didn't that might make it better than it sounds.

Then I read the treatment. (I'm sure it's still out there online if you hunt for it). Good god it sounded bad. Some idiot who's obsessed with playing monopoly plays a marathon game (in the present) then goes to sleep and dreams he's in a futuristic monopoly inspired world.

In the hands of Terry Gilliam, Spike Jonze, or David O Russel, maybe they could do something with it. Otherwise it just sound beyond terrible.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's no es bueno. I hate to say it, but it's not a project I'd be happy to see Scott on, given Prometheus. Though a Ridley Scott version of Risk 2210...

16. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

If you're saying the Transformers sequels bombed, you obviously didn't know that DOTM held #4 on the list of highest-grossing films OF ALL TIME! ;) 

17. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Dude, his sentence made no sense any way you cut it.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  19. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Spaceship Yamato Trailer

If it was anything like this, I would gladly have handed over my money.

20. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    I would be more willing to try this than hasbro's movie. But honestly this could be worse then hasbro's. From what I've seen of Japanese cinema their much better at anime than live action (which isn't to say there aren't some great Japanese live action movies).