Why does everyone buy repaints of the same character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you trying to follow the path that was set by ole' TigerMegatron several months ago (or whenever it was he was still around), by posting a poorly articulated opinion that comes off as passive-aggressive to see how much of a rise you get out of people?

People by repaints because they like them. I like variety and different things strike me for different reasons. I buy redecoes sold as different characters, and same-character redecoes as well when I like the look of them. Hello, sometimes I use the latter as different characters when it suits my collection.

If you want to ask the question, then fine, there have been a few threads here and there asking people's opinions on redecoes. Asking why people buy "cheap" redecoes isn't a productive way of asking that question, if you're seriously curious.

2. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The OP is confusing recolors with repaints. A recolor is crap like Roadbuster Ultra Magnus, wheras a repaint is generally a new character like, using his example, Red Alert from the Sideswipe mold. In this franchise, we've accepted that several characters will share the same mold, and while it might not be a perfect world scenario, it is what it is. At least we're finally getting new head molds for otherwise identical figures/molds. But as far as I'm concerned, as long as a repaint is an entirely different character and not something like "backpacker ninja Bumblbebee" or whatever, then it's all fine.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I generally don't buy repeat molds because they are expensive here, but I have nothing against people who buy and can afford them. Some people even get the same figure multiple times.

Sometimes i skip the original and get the repaint, for example my movie ratchet is the G1-inspired deluxe from HFTD, and I never got the first one.

4. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I buy what I like...I don't care if it's the exact same mold of the exact same character. I must ask, why on earth do you care about what other people buy? Does it really affect you that deeply that you felt the need to post that insulting rant? Just let people buy what they want without insulting them for it...

5. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I'm a Mini-Con / Micron collector. It pleases me greatly to have every possible version of each mold.. having 6 of the same tiny toy in various colors makes me beyond happy.
    As far as larger figures go I'd never not buy Thundercracker because I already have Starscream that would be insane. The way I see it, you can't have one without the other two.. or five really. All the movie Bee redecos out there are marketed similar to all the Darth Vader/Anakin figures available.. Hasbro wants to ensure there is a Bumblebee available for every child in America/abroad at any given time.. by changing it up a bit, whatever is currently on the shelf appears fresh or at least slightly different from any previous releases.
    Releasing the same toy multiple times as different characters or not, whether they have been extensively retooled or not is a toy industry staple. (see vintage MOTU/Marvel Legends/G.I. Joe etc.)
    And finally, Lisa was unhappy with Malibu Stacy not because of the dolls deco or accessories but because the the talking Malibu Stacy's voice chip said things like "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl" etc. Lisa wanted a talking doll that would empower little girls by saying things such as "I can be President someday!"

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Eh, haters gonna hate, Foster's going to play with his Terradive AND his Space Case :lol 

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    there is one toy that justifies repaints like no other:

Cybertron Cannonball

8. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Yeah, but...it doesn't even make sense. This is a guy who wanted to slap a Bumblebee head on Generations Wheeljack and repaint it as DOTM Que, but claims he has a problem with superfluous repaints? :lol 

9. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "This is the same Malibu Stacy with a cheap hat"
    I'd be the first guy to go. "IT'S GOT A NEW HAT! I WANT ONE!"
    That's good enough for me.

This brings us to that over used phrase 'it's personal taste'

10. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy repaints if I like them. Sometimes, at least if it's the only version of the character I have, I use a repaint as the character its mold was originally for, and sometimes I make it a separate character, such as what I'm planning to do with Cyberfire Bumblebee.

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i like seekers!

12. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me, each transformer in my collection is a representation of a character in the TV series/cartoon

If the repaint has been given a character like starscream, thundercracker & skywarp then that is no different to me than a new mold - they are all indvidual characters.

With a toy like Classics Megatron I used him as a placeholder until I got Henkei Megatron...which I wasn't happy with, and then replaced with Universe Megatron, so I do buy recolors if they are truer to their TV show counterparts...rarely happens, but for 3-4 toys I have bought upgrades as they were available in retail here a few years ago.

Whilst I'm not happy with characters that doesn't share molds in the TV series/comics being made into toys that do like Tracks and Wheeljack I will buy them...but if Wheeljack were to be given a new mold I would be all over it.

At the same time I'm not going to buy repaints that have been shoehorned in like Acid Storm or other wannabe seekers.

I do however buy limited repaints and more exclusive exclusives like Japanese transformers or lucky draws.

And I can understand people being upset about not getting obvious recolors like not getting Frenzy when we get Rumble, even though in this particular case the toys didn't make the cut due to other reasons.

I hope that makes sense.

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Actually, it seems a lot of people don't buy repaints, and some people find them aggravating, especially movie Bumblebee and his constant rehashing. Same-character repaints, like what was done in Animated constantly, are usually pretty boring or unattractive. They either make the character look exactly the same so they are recognizable as the character, or radically different to the point of being goofy. Different character repaints are what people adore. Seekers, Wheeljack and Tracks, etc. While I'm not huge on either kind of repaint, I like repaints because they give me the opportunity that if I miss out on a toy or don't like it's color scheme, I can wait for a repaint that I might enjoy a little bit more.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Welcome to hell.

15. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I try very very hard to only have one version of any particular mould. I have limited space and a budget, I don't want to blow it on toys that I effectively already own, unless the repaints are either very special (Buster Prime) represent characters that I really like (see my DOTM Ramjet custom, even though I already own Breakaway) or are limited edition or highly desirable (Fansproject Munitioner and Explorer/Warcry and Flameblast)

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Depends on the character. I collect Ratchet, and I like having both a green movie Ratchet and the inevitable red and white repaint of the same figure next to him on the shelf, in vehicle form.

Also, I collect Ultra Magnus figures, so I know my Magnus collection is going to be half Prime repaints in white.

17. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

THIS

Sometimes I don't buy the original, or do buy it, because I dislike or like how it looks.

Then along comes a repaint, Same scenario. I do/don't buy because I do/dislike
    how it looks

(EXAMPLE: I don't buy typical Starscreams because I find the colours bland but I buy the crap out of most of his repaints, whether red, Blue, green, or black. I just dont like grey as a primary colour.)

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plastic Crack. Meet slightly different colored plastic crack.

I'd rather buy several repaints of a mold I like rather then the crappy molds once.

19. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people like repaints, some hate them. Some repaints are welcome, others are dreaded.

When it come to Bumblebee, we have too many repaints. Some characer repaints are just pointless. Oh, lets add a gold GMC logo to the front. SOLD, REPAINT!

Now on the subject of some people, ask yourself this.

Is buying a repaint really buying a repaint for some?

Some people buying the "repaint" cause that's the color scheme they want on their figure, not the original release.

For them it really isn't a "repaint" but the original color they wanted it to be.

Repaints are 2 things to me. Some are there for hasbro to make more dinero. Other repaints are there as super cool color schemes that some of us prefer that wasn't present on the original figure, whom of which we probably didn't buy.

So when people buy repaints, don't assume they own BOTH versions of the toy. It's very likely they only own the paint job they want and love, whiil the other ends up shelfwarming.

20. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Repaints that are new characters or just better decos of a mold that remains the same character are fun. I love how the op has not posted again in this thread though.