Why does everyone buy repaints of the same character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Why do you people buy repaints? No matter if it's the same character or just the same character with one new molded feet or hand? I mean it's the same character that you first buy, so there is like no change.

Think back if you watch the Simpsons, When they released a new Malibu Stacy that can't say anything good. So Lisa talks to the creator to make a different doll named Lisa Lionheart that give support. But the toy company did not want that to happen so they just release the can't say anything good Malibu Stacy with a cheap hat. But the girls plus Mr. Smithers still buy it and leave Lisa's doll unsold.

Sorry about the reference, I was thinking about that episode and it made me think about you guys buying repaints.

Now tell me this, Does buying repaint make you any different from the girls? Axor, Evac, Wheeljack and Grappel, they were retools so there is no problem with that, but repaints like Roadbuster Ultra Magnus, Soundblaster, Red Alert, Elita-1, why would you still buy cheap repaints of the same character when you've got the original?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Probably because they like the different colors and the character they're supposed to represent, are completists, and/or they enjoy the mold and therefore collect every iteration of it?

It's kind of a silly question to ask, unless the OP is somewhat new to the concept of collecting.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Because I like them. Simple as that.

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Sometimes, despite the fact one already likes the mold....a repaint might make a world of difference. Different colour schemes might provide you with a whole new look on said mold.

5. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

For a second,i thought this was in response to my thread.I buy all the classic seeker repaints because 6+ Starscreams just look silly.

6. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    I don't buy repaints very often unless they are better than the original (Atomic Lugnut) or a new character.

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    For the same reason people keep starting threads about the release date of certain toys when there's no actual new information available.

I don't know, maybe you're actually tying to be ironic.

8. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why by cars in different colors? Different tastes.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Other than my KO G2 Bonecrusher (which I think I had before my Grandma gave me the G1 toy that belonged to my cousin or something anyway), I've never bought a repaint.

However as others have said, why not? Like, I think it's kinda silly to own two of the same car, but that's because they're generally large purchases, not toys. For this, I just seem them as small pieces of art, and where there's nothing wrong with exploring an alternate paint scheme. Like if anything, many of the repaints that we buy are drastically different anyway, meaning that we're not even getting them for silly reasons.

10. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I buy repaints because I like them, simple as that. And no, that doesn't make me any different from the girls. THAT is something that can be clarified by minimal study of the human anatomy.

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    :lol 

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I typically only try to buy repaints if it means its a different character. I have no Tuner Skids nor Mudflap, yet have Chromia and Elita-1. Red Alert, as a character, is entirely different from Sideswipe. Roadbuster UM, however, fits into the Tuner category from before, which is why I didnt get him. Dont have a Soundblaster.But you catch my drift. different character? Its mine

13. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

If I'm a fan of the character, I like to get any repaints or remolds that add something different to the original toy. If I'm a big fan of the character, I just want every version of that toy that I can find. I have five different versions of Beast Wars Waspinator including Dirgegun which is a pretty extensive remold. I also have four different versions of Beast Machines Blackarachnia.

You also have to keep in mind troop building. How many people bought multiples of Cyclonus, Scourge and Wreck-Gar for their collections? Everyone has their own personal collecting preferences...

14. Ejicon

Ejicon Well-Known Member

Because some of us are collectors. Simple.

15. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I buy a repaint, its because I want to. Does it make me like "those girls" you refer to? Maybe, it depends on who's opinion. But honestly, I don't care. Its my money, and I will do with it whatever I please. Is it your collection or is it mine? That's the way I see it. As far as the repaints being cheap, you have to realize by now that sometimes repaints constitute a different character/toy altogether even if it is from the same mold. You want to call Generations Thundercracker a Classics Skywarp? Or how about calling Skywarp a black and purple version of Universe Starscream? No? I didn't think so.

16. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Plain repaints I tend not to buy unless they're a new character.

The only times I'll consider it is when I think they capitalise on something inherent in the mold to a way that the 'standard' one doesn't (such as a 'premium' deco) or when it's an interesting take on the character (Fireburst Optimus Prime, for instance, has my eye because I see it as a future version of movie Prime where he's just out to kill everything and has to be put down. It helps that it looks lovely, too.) I'll occasionally be interested if it comes with a new accessory that adds something to the mold -or that I'm missing elsewhere (again, Fireburst Prime has the movie's axe. Can't get that anywhere else.) but I'll tend to skip these unless something else about the new scheme appeals, or it's dirt cheap.

I don't intentionally set myself limits ("No this, every that.") because I hate artificial constraints, it really boils down to whether I like it enough to pay the money, and if there's nothing else I'd rather get with said money.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  17. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Well, you do know that some characters do in fact share molds right?

Some repaint are cool and I buy them. Sometimes the repain or remold is better then the original. Let me ask you this. You obviously don't buy repaints/remolds. Why limit yourself? You mean to tell me if you see a figure that's really unbelivably awesome you're going to stop yourself because you already own the mold?

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I buy remolds of the characters I collect because I'm a completist and appreciate the (new) small details.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

I buy what I like, and some repaints are very nice.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I only buy a repaint if it appears on screen. Other than that repaints are just the bane of my collecting existance (that and movie toys lol)