Why does every shot in a Michael Bay Movie look like a Hyper Williams Video?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Jul 27, 2011.

1. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Why does every shot in a Michael Bay Movie look like a Hype Williams Video?

I could swear I am watching Puff Daddy's "Been Around the World" or Busta Rhymes "Gimme Some More" whenever I see a Michael Bay movie.

The Island , Transformers 1-3 all look like they are shot at weird angles and everything has some sort of reflective look with way to much shiny and bright light coming out of nowhere. It is like you cannot see one scene without seeing something glaring out high bright shininess!

What is up with that? It is like watching a 90's rap video.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    I can practically see hype directing a bayformer rap video :lol 

Yeah i told u no we wont stop yeah i told no we stop NO MATTER THE COST *sample the touch chorus*

3. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Because Bay demands awesomeness

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Because it's the only way that Bay can make a movie. Characters might change and the threat might change but if you've seen one Micheal Bay movie then you've seen the full extent of what you will ever get from a Micheal Bay movie.

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I noticed the blinding glare a lot in the first TF movie but not as much in the last two.
    Other than that, I love all the angles, etc. It makes the movie even more exciting for me.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's almost... ALMOST... as if Michael Bay got his start doing music videos...

His work is just so similar to the video for "I touch myself" by the Divinyls and "Falling in Love (Is hard on the knees)" by Aerosmith...

Nahhhh.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    If there's one thing I like about Michael Bay - and always have - it's his eye for cinematography. I hate to give him too much credit, but in all fairness the guy has an insane eye for foreground, background, color textures and panning movement all within each singular shot that he does. He might be a shit director, but as a cinematographer, he gets an A+ for almost every shot he does being perfect for a screen cap or advertisement. Mute the volume and forget the story lines from some of his movies, and just watch the shots for what they are. Bad Boys, The Rock, The Island, and as much as I hate to admit it, even Armageddon... it's gorgeous cinematography. His work with music videos & commercials trained him well in that regard.

8. Militant

Militant Police

I kinda find some of his angles awkward. Like some of his shots are way to close so its hard to know wth is going on. I was like :sly:  in some of TF1 and most of ROTF

9. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    Didn't Bay start out directing music videos and car commercials?

Its why I think he should only ever be a cinematographer/action choreographer.

He kinda stinks at directing people. The best performances in any Bay movie comes from actors who are more convincing in their improv.

10. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I see what you di there.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Michael Bay's style works better in the short form than in the long. He just can't carry a narrative.

I remember hearing him on a dvd saying something about how he always likes to have at least 3 things going on in each and every shot. Watch any of his films again. This explains a lot. There is always at least one superfluous thing there to distract you.

Maybe it's the sunlight glinting off the hood of the car, maybe it's the lens flare, maybe it's foreground and background explosions. Maybe it's Rosie or Megan Fox bending over. Even when the plot calls for relative calm, Michael Bay will decide that if no one's running around, and nothing's exploding, he better start spinning the camera around or something. He knows his plot doesn't make sense, but he's hoping that if he does enough to thrill and disorient you, you won't notice that. I almost admire the way he's able to throw nonsense up onto the screen.

I always say his films need to slow down a little and have more suspense. But if they did that, the audience would start thinking "hey, waita minute, what's going on here". Typically you sit there almost stupified, and it's only later you start wondering how the film managed to switch from one thing to another, and what the hell were those guys trying to accomplish with that other thing? A lot of people like these films after one viewing, but they just don't seem to hold up as well to repeated scrutiny.