Why does Botcon Darksyde Megatron command such high prices???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jigga, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As my title implies, why does Botcon Darksyde Megatron command such high prices on eBay???

2. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Beyond being expensive (even for a Botcon exclusive) in the first place, he's a redeco of a great mold into a fan-favorite character and only 400 were made, I think. I'm pretty sure that next to the Seekers he's the most in-demand Botcon exclusive since FP took over.

3. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True but seekers from Game of Deception boxt set is around $200 to $300 but I've seen the Darksyde Megatron fetch well over a $1000. I guess the 400 limited run explains a lot of it.

4. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I put it down to the limited run of a popular character.

I sometimes kick myself at the fact that I never had my card punched to say I'd bought the souvineers, and could have got another set.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Because he's a brilliantly done repaint with an entirely new head sculpt, and he's extremely rare. Most people want to keep hold of him so there aren't many out there for sale.

6. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    This, and I believe the production run was 500.

Plus he's a major part of the overall "Dawns of Future Past" set. Besides people just wanting him because he's an awesome toy and a popular character, there are also in the neighborhood of 1200 or so sets(boxed or bagged) of the main set with Primal, Rhinox, Cheetor, Rattrap, and Dinobot. I'd guess a lot of the people that have that set really feel a need to get the Predacon leader of the storyline.

7. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yup all of the above pretty much. toss in darksyde waspinator and now you got a lot of money going on.

glad i got both!

8. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

The CD Red Alert mold isn't even that great IMHO.

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Actually, the 2006 set was limited to 750 Box Sets and 125 Bag Sets, Well below the 1200 people tend to think it was.

The Megatron & Waspinator 2-pack only had a run of 500 sets.

The big deal with this set was that not even everyone at the convention was able to get their hands on it. It sold out before everyone got their sets.

To make matters much worse on the Megatron set, the system for checking to make sure that you could only purchase one set per box set was broken. I know personally at least three people who walked away with 3-5 Megatron sets even further reducing the number of convention goers who could get one at the show.

-Massively popular character
    -New head sculpt
    -Key to completing a very popular set
    -Limited even to those who had a "right" to get one

A perfect storm for ridiculous pricing.

10. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Because some jacka$$ is willing to pay that much for a toy.

11. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Why is it cool to say something like that when the turnabout would be even worse?

You can call someone a jackass for buying something that they want but would probably not appreciate it if the same person turned around and called you either cheap or worse yet too poor to buy the things you want.

I can't believe I get to put it in these terms, but really, "Don't hate the player..."

:bay 

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

No, I wouldn't care at all what someone on the internet called me; especially if it was a negative comment based on me not spending over 3 to 4 figures on a toy.

..and I don't hate any TF buying "players." Buy away, man. If I think spending a $hit-ton of cash on a single TF is silly, then that's just my opinion. My girlfriend thinks I'm a jacka$$ for buying a third flat panel TV over 40inches for my house because it's a waste of money... it's not a waste of money to me, because I like them, but it's her opinion.

I'm not that sensitive, so feel free to call me cheap or poor since the most I've ever spent on a single TF toy is $65.

13. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    its all to each their own. some ppl want to spend the cash and others dont. me? if i do and saved for it you bet i will. i enjoy having a few rarities around.

im with you vader on the tvs. my girl thinks im nuts. im always wanting a newer a bigger flat screen. we have one in the bedroom and our main living room (apartment). really want a samsung LED!

14. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I hear ya, man. They don't get the whole HD thing as much as us guys for some reason. I think with my girl it's because she isn't into sports and that's almost all I watch.

This third one I bought is for my little play room, so she really thinks I'm a jacka$$. How does she expect me to play the Xbox 360 if it's not in HD? Silly women.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You know, we don't have swear filters here. Feel free to use the dollar sign correctly.

16. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
  17. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Will do. Thanks, Fosterlager.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
  18. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad I got my Botcon Megatron several years ago. Still need the paperwork for it though.

19. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

i got the botcon megatron ...owned it...held it....stuck it on a shelf for a few weeks...then traded it away for other transformers...i did hold onto the waspinator botcon figure though...that dude is just fun to have around next to shackwave's gun mode....

botcon megs was just not keeping IMO...he is neat...but not that $$$ cost that goes with him neat....so i did not regret trading him off for a nice gaggle of TF's...all of which i still have....

20. 77camaro

77camaro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine at BotCon 2008 at the Charity auction. No paperwork though which kinda sucks