Why does Bay get the hate for the robot designs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

He didnt design them...all he did was ask the designers to make them more realistic, its the designers you should be mad at, not Michael Bay.

Sure he had the final say and he approved the images but he could only choose out of what was presented to him....

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Because he's an incredibly easy scapegoat, basically. He's the public face of the movie, so people think that everything that they don't like about it has to be his fault.

3. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    He's the face of the production of the movie. For people who doesn't like some aspect of the movies like the designs, it's far easier to blame someone who's out in the public and familiar than some unknown entity who designed the robots or had their input into some other part of the film. Happens all the time in Hollywood. Directors and the script/screenwriters seem to get blame most of the time. Could be warranted on a movie-by-movie basis, maybe not warranted. There tons of other people who have involvement and work with these invidividuals in developing the final product, but these people are usually the public faces.

Edit: Or what Draven said.

4. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

true to a point

True Bay is the main face that everyone blames, but all the designs have to get his ok before they are put into production. However I have found that the people who complain about the designs are the ones that have little or no imagination, someone has to give a new spin on it to keep it alive or people will become bored with the same characters and the same storylines.

5. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

You do realize he was incharge of the artistic direction of those designs. He ultimately was the one who decided to scrap any resemblence to the original series of any tf line.

That might just be the reason he gets the blame. They had very G1 concepts that got scrapped early on. I mean only fans outcry got megs head changed from that crazy design they had prior.

Essentially he didnt draw the designs but he picked em out from a slew of others . I mean on alot of the early images we saw there was a check box on there that says it gets the ok from him with his name right on it

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea in the end he's the guy that said okay this is what we are going with. He could have easily sent them back saying they were not exactly what he was looking for and gave the artist imput into what he was looking for. When he went to ILM and everyone wasn't excited he could have taken imput from ILM's team.

So until someone takes the power out of his hand to approve or reject designs it's all his fault. Just look at the behind the sceens stuff of any film and you can get the bits where the director talks about the evolution of characters between what the director wanted and what the art department was doing.

7. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Same reason Lucas gets shit for Jar Jar???

8. Bottom Out

that doesnt make it his fault..he gave the artists his ideas and then the artists designed them....the robot designs that were selected where the best the ARTISTS could do, if the artists designed something else that fit the bill and was better those would have been chosen, but the artists did not do that...the blame should be on the designers and not bay...if you were in bays shoes you would have picked the same designs since they were the best options

well as i understand it lucas wrote the character jar jar to act the way he does, i dont think people dislike the way he looks, its the way he acts...

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    he's an easy target. he isn't exactly the director that everyone loves (see: Armageddon, Pearl Harbor...) People are just loathe to admit maybe he was right for a change.

10. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Besides, you are also assumin' that people always think things through before directin' their anger.

That and along with the fact that it is most impossible a mission for some of us to simply enjoy somethin'.

11. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

He gets hate because he gets to direct a Transformers movie and they don't.

Same reason alot of people hate Shea Lebouf (sp?), because he's in the movie and not them.

and because people like to bitch apparently.

My GF pointed out something interesting the other day when I was watching the movie that I thought was cool. When the black soldier (can't remember his name) said, "Bring the Rain!" you see two jets go streaking by over his head. Since I'm always taking about camera angles, lighting, etc. when I watch movies she's gotten into the mindset of, "how are movies really made?" and she said something to the effect of, "I wonder how many times he had to shoot that one shot to get the jets over his head at the right moment. Since they were using the military and real jets."

Which made me think of how much choreography and planning it really did take to get a couple seconds of film. Which made me have even more respect for him. And then the fact that supposedly he sets up and gets more shots in the can per day then almost all other directors.

He did a good job, a damn good job. Whether people (fanboys) will ever admit it or not. The film made a ton of money, got 2 more sequels and brought in a ton of fans.

Good job Mr. Bay, can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us.

12. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

I thought it was his voice and dialect, but we're on the same page... We're all pretty much right... The guy who has his name above the movie title gets blamed for anything people hate... I remember when Unbreakable came out, many many people HATED M. Night... I specifically remember one guy hating it cuz it "gave away the twist at the very beginning" with the paragraph about comic sales in America... which I think is stupid... I see the twist not being that Bruce Willis was an actual super hero... but instead the revelation that Jackson was his Villian, and caused those accidents...

I mean really, who got all the praise for LotR trilogy??? The guy with his name above the title.

And for the Matrix... The directors were praised... then the sequels... they were boo'd

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because he likes the designs, and that's funny because people that like 'em here get yelled at as well.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This.

I'm still not sure what the hell is wrong with the robot designs.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same reason Hasbro gets all the shit for something done by a Takara designer or some Chinese factory manager - They (or Bay) may not directly control every last detail of everything, but is ultimately responsible for it as the one in charge.

16. Bottom Out

i think you nailed it with those statements, thats actually very funny too

17. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Hasbro has somewhat to do with it too.

Strange, I recognized Optimus Prime, Jazz, Bumblebee and several others right away. Odd, since ALL resemblance is supposedly gone.

Hyperbole. It's not your friend.

18. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

And yet

And yet all those people how hate Bay and the robots designs will still go and see the sequels. The man still has to try and keep the filming of the sequels as well as the storyline/script as secret as he can. I take my hat off to him I envy the fact that he gets to make the film, I don't envy the hassle that goes with it.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't have any problems recognising them either. Like you say, strange.

20. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

lol.

naw man, your wrong. That big red and blue truck. with the blue helmet and samurai looking peaks on the sides of the helmet, the one with that mouthplate and two cab windows on his chest, the one with the truck wheels on his legs and red forearms, who extends an energon sword out of his right arm replacing his hand? Looks NOTHING like Prime man, nothing.

Bay raped my childhood man, raped it. Right up the bunghole. I hate him and wish he'd die......(*after he makes 2 more movies that I can bitch about.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.