Why does bay always have to have that one real cringe worthy scene?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, going by the actual posts in the thread, there's actually been a few possible explanations posted, and frankly, better discussion than average (albeit a little heated) for around here.

What exactly were you hoping to get out of telling people this thread didn't deserve to exist?

WRT to the Romeo and Juliette law scene, implicit/explicit aside, it was a scene that decided to define one of the characters by being so aware of how his romantic relationship is perceived to be inappropriate that he carries around a legal defense on a card on his person. That is how the discussion between the overprotective father and the turborevving young punk that defines their initial conflict was played out in an already meandering and bloated script, and I really don't know why.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    To avoid the inevitable shit storm that will ensue.

3. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

And I still fail to see how Happy Time" is not creepy but the other stuff is creepy. Furthermore, Shane was trying to justify the relationship to an understandably pissed off dad, which is really not any different from Judy suspecting her son of doing things.

Like I said, I don't think one is better than the other. They're exactly on the same level. Whether one thinks one or the other is funny or not is fine, but there isn't this big difference between them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

If you fail to understand the difference, especially in American culture, then I guess I have nothing else to say.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

"American culture" (whatever that even is) is not the same in every place. Relationship rules are not the same in every state, but they are what they are. Americans of specific regions, like most humans, think they're the center of the universe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Why do I keep telling the same stories and making the same jokes at work?!

I know why bay does this!

It's pattern behavior, born from mild neurological dysfunction!

He thinks, this robot movie needs an edgy joke/scenario to make it cool for the kids, but he forgets he had the same thought on the last movie, and that it was a horrible cringy mess... Or he thought it was great... because of his issues with feeling empathy.

8. WEEGEE

WEEGEE dont stop letting people not help!!!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_21wu54.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Ouch!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Over protective dad is over protective dad and it doesn't really matter if his little girl is 17 or 37. Cade could still not like her idiot boyfriend even if she was old enough to move out. Heck you could have made Tessa 19 and it would have just added more to the family tension of how long does she put off living her life to look out for her father?

• Like Like x 1
  11. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

i hear you & i agree.....bottom line is shane was a horrendous character & should have never been in the movie in the first place..."lucky charms" i guess that can be considered racist but no one gives a f (rightfully so) people need to lighten up

still stand by what i said earlier though...it was meant to be a parallel between cade/tessa & optimus/bee..a common bond between alien species...even in the finale both are told to stay away (tessa & bee) but both defy their elders..seems odd they based an entire romance around the "romeo + juliet" law hearkening back to the whole 'forbidden romance' angle which would have been absent if she was of age & cade would of been viewed in a different light i feel...shane was a pretty unlikable character in my opinion...especially the line about making out with his daughter? excuse me?

even have a neat parallel between lockdown & attinger...hired to hunt down transformers to restore the perceived 'natural order' of things

happy new year! :bay 

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lepidoptera

Lepidoptera Antisocial butterfly lady

I thought he was under 18 when he and Tessa started dating, but he went over 18 first because he's older than her. He is the boyfriend she wasn't supposed to have if I recall correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

Correct, but they could have avoided all that borderline pedophilia by making them both underage, or both adults. Protective dad can still be protective dad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Nothing about that scene involved “pedophilia”.
    If it involved the chick from TLK, maybe, but the case of Tessa and Irish Texan is barely ephebophilia and the joke doesn’t make sense, since the age of consent in Texas is.................17,
    soooo the entire joke was unnecessary.
    Cade was just being an idiot lol

If she was 16, the joke would’ve made a little more sense in the context of Texas, but it still would’ve been idiotic and unnecessary.

I assume Bay left it in, because this kind of awkward discussion is always brought up by meat head overprotective fathers in real life, so the teenagers in the audience can relate
    xD

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Well-Known (?) Member

I'll be completely honest, all of the TF films have multiple 'cringeworthy' scenes- usually unfunny humor about something conventionally juvenile, as that's the general kind of humor in the films. This kind of stuff, appealing to younger, male audiences, often, is everywhere, and I generally disagree with the claim that each film has only one.
    TF: 'Sam's Happy Time', 'criminals are hot', 'stop lubricating on the man'
    TF2: 'weed brownies', 'yack it', everything in the museum until Jetfire, a majority of the Twins' stuff, 'I am directly below...the enemy scrotum'- well, basically all of the dialogue in that film, actually, as well as the humping and schlong robot appliance
    TF3: 'Deep Wang', most of the scenes with Simmons and Alan Tudyk's character
    TF4: obviously 'Romeo and Juliet Laws', probably a lot else but I can't even recall the film well enough to say
    TF5: All of the kids' 'jokes', Jimmy and Wheelie on the PC, the entire submarine scene after Burton leaves (except for Cogman brutally beating a fish, that was kinda funny),"Finding the staff" with the caretakers' commentary
    And that's all I can remember. There are some parts that I think are actually funny (most of what Burton does, though an unpopular opinion, 'the boy's pheromone levels suggest he wants to mate with the female), but most is silly and generally doesn't land for most.

16. Lepidoptera

Lepidoptera Antisocial butterfly lady

Honestly, I think "I am directly below the enemy scrotum" is one of the funniest lines in the franchise because of its absurdity. Sometimes I repeat it when I'm in a situation that is too ridiculous for words. That's just my opinion. Most of the humor in the movies outside of the Romeo / Juliet thing happens to be up my alley. Then again, I don't have a very ladylike sense of humor, so cheap fart jokes or dirty double meanings always make me giggle a bit.

The Doctor said it best: "There's no point in being a grownup if you can't be childish sometimes."

But for me, Optimus accidentally causes the funniest moment in the entire DOTM movie. It's the Chernobyl scene where the Driller makes Optimus go flying. He makes a noise like the vocal equivalent of keyboard mashing and it made me laugh water out of my nose in the theater the first time I heard it. It's still funny to me all these years later! XD

• Like Like x 8
  17. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Well-Known (?) Member

I still chuckle at the absurdity of the scrotum line but it is admittedly childish. I also attest to loving the Optimus sound, can't imagine how I forgot that. For one part that I do snort at from RotF is Simmons' first appearance in that film, spouting vaguely Polish terms rapidly in his meat shop. Is it culturally sensitive? Probably not. But I do giggle at the way he says it after turning towards the audience and the fact that it's one whole phrase with no pauses.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree that there is never just one really bad attempt at humor per film. It's just that in all the attempts at a joke that fall flat there is some extra juvenile attempt at humor which seems to stand out from the rest. It's a bit like unless characters, the movies are packed with unless characters that don't really contribute anything to the movies but there is always that one unless character that stands out from the characters who could have easily been cut from the film.

It's great that Bay understands you need humor in an action film to break up the mood from time to time, but his idea of humor always seems to fall into the same range of people that think his stuff is funny while other people feel like the movie came to a screeching halt to set up something that isn't that funny.

• Like Like x 5
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That is the best description of that noise ever.

What must Cullen have looked like? Was he just shaking his head and bouncing like a maniac? Did Bay come up and shake him violently? :lol 

I feel like half of it just comes down to terrible timing. The worst, and I mean worst, joke for me was the awkward big dick talk with his parents in DOTM. It's hardly the most ridiculous thing the movies have said, but it's so freaking poorly placed. It's smack dab in the middle of Sentinel's betrayal, almost like it was placed there by accident? But it can't be because the whole reason it's there is for Sam to tell his parents to leave the city because Sentinel went bad. It just murders, violently destroys even, the mood of an otherwise effectively somber and foreboding development.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I seriously don't see anything wrong in this scene. It has a fine irony on childish, irresponsible point of view of Shane and Tessa and I feel sorry for Cade, because his daughter has been deceived him for years. About other jokes I don't care, really. I understand, that they are needed, because general audience like it. It is adult Movie, not cartoon. I genuinely can't understand, why people here (and critics) bash it so much.