Why does bay always have to have that one real cringe worthy scene?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Dec 28, 2017.

1. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For example. The deep wang scene in dark of the moon. Its unnecessary. It’s humor for the sake of humor and it’s bad humor at that. If it was me I would have cut wang completely as the movie would have been all the better for it. Such a pointless character it ruined the over all tone of the movie. But I’m grtting off track.

Pint is Why does bay always have these cringe worthy moments. Just stick with good good characters and action and the humor will often come naturally. Just feel so forced.

• Like Like x 3
  2. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    What do you expect to get out of this thread? Do we really need another bitch about Michael Bay thread?

• Like Like x 12
  3. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a result of pandering to the 12 year old demographic which makes up the majority of the audience for these films. Bay and Co. assume that "Deep Wang," jokes about poisoning your grandfather, and whatever god-awful joke was in TLK that I don't want to remember will be enjoyed by that demographic rather than such frivolous things as coherent plots or character development.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agent j 15

agent j 15 Unfuckwittable

Probably just friendly conversation among the multitude of fans who don’t like Michael Bay and what he’s doing to the franchise. We don’t really NEED any threads but this IS a forum after all.

Also, just ONE cringe worthy scene? I can name more than a few in TLK alone. All the scenes with Vivian’s female relatives talking about how she needs a man and making BBW jokes were godawful for a film in 2017, some of Cogmans lines were terrible and sounded like a 12 year old trying to be badass, that fake Arthur C. Clarke quote that’s supposed to signify that Vivian and Cade are smart was painful, Anthony Hopkins saying Dude and Bitchin and giving the finger were totally undignified for a Knighted thespian actor, and that’s just some of them. I understand why people like these movies and if they do more power to them but fuck there’s parts in these movies that ruin it all.

• Like Like x 6
  5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Highly doubtful this thread will end friendly by the time the mods shut it down. Best case scenario it's a thread of people just listing scenes they don't like. Doesn't seem like much potential for discussion.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Galvatross

Galvatross Complete Trainshrek. Veteran

Yeah, I can understand something like a "flaws and strengths of Michael Bay as a director" thread, which would actually be interesting because too often in fandoms and critical circles people only look at the good if they like a filmmaker or the bad if they dislike a director.

Bay isn't this perfect, immaculate director who can do no wrong, nor is he is this awful, irredeemable human being who gets nothing right.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    first person who says "my face is my warrant" was cringe gets kicked in the warrant by yours truly.

• Like Like x 6
  8. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

Well this thread is about to be shut down

• Like Like x 4
  9. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

agree the deep wang scene was highly silly...it was a play on deepthroat/wang=penis..haha get it?!...it was a double entendre of sorts...i was watching lincoln the other day & i thought it was cringe how the union soliders were reciting the gettysburg address..now maybe this did indeed happen but it was cringe...i thought the ending of gotg1 was cringe at it's finest but hey..

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I don't need to list all the those cringe worthy cenes, I'm sure we're all aware what they were. Every transformers movie had them.

But the biggest shocker for me was when I learned some people love that stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If you look back over all the Bay films they have some cringe worthy moments. It's almost like some sort of compulsion he has to put such scenes in his movies even if the movies would function just fine with those scenes cut out. His idea of humor only reached a certain point and as he has gotten older his humor hasn't actually matured a bit from his The Rock and Bad Boys days.

That the studio never steps and says hey you can't put balls on a robot doesn't actually help things a bit. When he's given free reign to craft his cringe worthy moments he must figure it's okay because no one ever bothers to step up to say hey don't put that in the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll be honest, I think they're digs at us.

Hear me out...

To a lot of people on the outside looking in, what we do, how we act, etc, is considered cringeworthy to some.

If you notice, the cringiest content comes from "weirdos".

-Sam? Awkward and holed up in his room with a case of horny.

-Simmons? The jock strap, all of it, the getting "peed" on, all of it.

-Leo? Just... Yeah, all of it.

If you notice, all the military guys and most of the brass are the most competent on the planet, with no cringe factor.

As for the Romeo & Juliet scene? I think that was just an unfortunate inclusion. I think the writer was responsible, but if it was Bay, I'm not sure what the deal with that one was.

Anyway, I think he put those scenes in to make fun of us.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Honestly, these scenes are a recurring trend that seems consistent across the Bay TF films, and that's fairly uncommon in similar films. Whatever else they are, they're an iconic feature of the Bay films (see also: the ending speech / Linkin park song, etc.), and I think that makes them worth discussing. To turn your question around, if we don't need another "bitch about Michael Bay" thread, do we need another post in that thread saying it, and criticism of the films, isn't needed?

What they are is sort of simple, albeit subjective; a scene or sequence played up for comedy that a falls flat with, or even alienates a significant part of the audience. What they appear to be meant to do, and how they do it, seems to be more varied however, sometimes they serve to develop the plot, sometimes they don't, sometimes they play with the relationships between characters, sometimes they don't, though at least from how I see them they all try to bring catharsis before or after a bigger moment.

That makes me thing these scenes are being used intentionally, rather than just being thrown in on a whim or for the amusement of Bay or his production crew. So if that's the case, why do they turn out the way they do? I can't say for sure, but what I think is that, well, comedy is hard. Comedy requires sharp writing and a strong understanding of both the characters and the setting in order to solidly deliver the unexpected in a humorous way, and... well... the writing in the TF films is not their strongest part. It could also be that there was a lot more material like this in the film, but other scenes were too superfluous and were cut at various stages of the production, and that the scenes we get (which often do tie into the main plotline or character relationships), are what is left from that.

• Like Like x 4
  14. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    But my entire point is what is there to actually discuss? Criticism is one thing, but just making a thread to point out scenes people don't like seems pointless.

15. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I dunno. Maybe its his modus operandi?

16. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Why do you care so much? Toilet jokes are normal phenomena in Hollywood. Some of my friends, who have the same education as I am and currently defend PhD dissertation, enjoy these moments in TFs very much. That's why I think that they are not flaws at all.

17. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Maybe because it's his ego. It's like he wants that scene to be in the movie because he likes it personally. So when he watched that movie by himself, he could have a good laugh

18. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    OMG I could so see him sitting there having quite the chuckle with himself.

• Like Like x 2
  19. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

I remember how he laughed so many times when suggesting and describing how funny it is when Simmons looked up and see Devastator's balls from the ROTF's behind the scene featurette.

• Like Like x 2
  20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    There was a video a while back describing the "genius" of Michael Bay, and it said something along the lines of these movies being clever satire because at his college he was actually a renowned film student. So if that's true, it's not him saying "Haha, Romeo and Juliet," he's playing it as seriously as possible in order to make us go "Why the fuck is this law a thing?"

• Like Like x 2