Why do you love Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galvatron II, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's just the core concept of the toys. It's too irresistible, for anyone with an imagination. And then envisioning such things in the real world. It's a staggering proposition. There was no way I could ignore it.

You're getting two toys in one, and yet the sum is greater. It's a toy car, it's a toy robot, and yet it's infinitely more exiting than either on their own. There's the whole mystery and inventiveness of that process of going from one form to another.

Couple that with the iconography of the franchise. The Autobot/Decepticon symbols, the metallic lettering, the airbrushed space battles on the packaging. And then you have these unforgettable, monumental character designs. Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Jazz, Bumblebee, Starscream, all so unique and unmistakable. It was too much.

The fiction I initially didn't care all that much for, but what really cemented it for me was the work of Simon Furman. I think it was Time Wars that did it. Transformers seemed biblical in scale. The scope of it was incomprehensible. It made a vastly bigger impression on me than any other franchise of the time and that stayed with me.

And yet for years, in the days before the internet, it seemed everyone had just moved on. I remember other kids being into it for all of about a year. I definitely wasn't done with it. I was the only one I knew like this, I thought I was alone, to the point where it became that much more personal, almost a single-minded obsession.

Great post... I think a lot of us had moments like that when we first encountered TFs. Discovering the extent of it, becoming obsessed, it was at times, mind-blowing.

although I was appalled by the Unicron trilogy, and still think Animated was the best thing in decades.

Animated, starts out as Transformers as super heroes, battling human supervillains, with the occasional decepticon villain of the week. A lot of people have found this off-putting. Running in the background for the first season is the machinations and manipulations of Megatron. It gradually, at times dramatically shifts gears and does become Autobots vs Decepticons by season 2.

2. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Me like big cool fighting robots.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I have read every response to this thread, and may I say, this is simply the best.

4. Steve321

Steve321 Member

I'm not really sure. Being 21 now, I can still remember a lot of it from when I was a kid (mostly Beast Wars etc and some of the later stuff). Being just a kid it was amazingly cool lol.

As the movies started to come out, I'm not sure what it was. I've always believed that things like that could exist somewhere (I know,some people think that's beyond stupid, but meh lol). I always enjoyed the on screen chemistry between the Autobots and the likes of Sam etc (especially Bumblebee), and as characters them selves I grew attached to them.

Who knows, we might get extremely lucky one day and I could be proved right that they do exist (ha) the movies them selves could be a cover up to make us think that they aren't real...lol.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Transformers- Good times. Always has been, always will be. Oh and it's Grok, a little more than love.

6. gregles

gregles quintesson

childhood brainwashing coupled with some good post childhood fiction from beast wars, animated, prime and more than meets the eye.

I love the more sophisticated modern toys and customising also adds a creative outlet to this franchise

7. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Giant robots beating the shit out of each other.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I suggest rewatching Animated. After Season 1 it gets back to Autobots vs Decepticons.

Still a cool backstory for how you got into Transformers.

9. Michel_Beckers

Michel_Beckers Well-Known Member

difficult... i think, cars, robots, fighting...all in combination... thats just what i love i think

10. King Kaiser

King Kaiser BEARS!!!!

I love transformers because I remember going into Kmart back in 2006-2007 ish and getting a classics Optimus prime I loved that figure.That is why I love transformers

11. maku098

maku098 ; solves everything.

News Credits:
    I like big-ass metal robots that beat the crap out of each other.

And this was the first cartoon I ever watched.

12. Dexter Brown

Dexter Brown Well-Known Member

I despised Animated. Armada and Cybertron were the real crown jewels to me.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nostalgia plain and simple.

I think it has kind of lost its way in the last few years. Animated was the last time it was fun and didn't take itself too seriously. Now it is like every single detail needs to be explained about how they function and the history of their race.

14. mastermega

mastermega terrorcon

It's alien robots hiding in plain sight who wage battle for the fate of two worlds. Its captured my imagination since childhood.

15. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Transformers will always be special to me, because they are literally the first happy memory I have after my younger brother passed from cancer.

We had a few Gobots, and some different Japanese figures that we'd pick up from the local flea market. But the Gobots were our favorites. Scotty's first was Spay-C, and mine was the white version of Crasher. We played with them all the time, even when Scotty had to come to the Children's Hospital for his cancer treatments. He passed away in the summer of 1984.

I pretty clearly remember the trip to K-Mart when my father first showed me the new Transformers line on an end-cap. The first one he picked up was Rumble and Ravage, followed by Soundwave. We didn't end up getting any until that Christmas, when I got Ironhide and Ratchet, while my brother got Prowl and Sunstreaker.

I tend to associate Transformers with happy memories now, everything from those first Christmas presents to my girlfriend(now fiancee) buying me a new Ravage at BotCon. I doubt I'll ever really be able to give them up, either.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SunStorm86

SunStorm86 Well-Known Member

They are the ultimate 80s toy I loved them from the 1st time I saw them.My 1st ones were Gears and Windcharger.They just remind me of some of the best times in my life.

17. Peter Welker

Peter Welker Vector Sigma

The animation by Toei (to me, outstanding). The animation director Nelson Shin. The voice actors. The demand of perfection while directing the voice actors, by Wally Burr.

18. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    At first it was due to Beast Wars. Then over time it mainly became the fact Transformers are basically action figure puzzles.

19. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

I love the concept. The technology is cool.

20. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I was a little kid flippin' through the channels when I saw Beast Wars. It was the episode where Cheetor puts those big dildos in the ground in a lightning storm. The CGI hooked me instantly, and, soonafter, so did the transforming robots. Then BW gave me Dinobot, whose tale made me cry and was what I remembered the most from the show.

So I loved transformers because it didn't stop at cool transforming robots. It gave us great lil narratives and lots of fun.

...It hasn't been doing that lately.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1