Why do you like Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by -Wreckage-, Aug 27, 2009.

1. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    Everyone has to have a reason, right? So, why do you like/collect/buy/play with transformers? Really?

I just like it if it's really cool (and a good deal of them are!)

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Engineering, and some of the designs

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Pretty much the same as brr-icy there, I really dig the engineering and puzzle aspect of them (one of the reasons MP05 is my fav fig ever) and I just dig the way some of them look. Plus they have that 2 (or more) toys in one aspect going for them.

4. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I buy them based on their show personalities. I enjoy my figures more if I have a previous "feel" for em. I don't like to just go out and buy a random movie toy repaint/ rename that was made just because that I have no positive or negative feelings for. Oh and...combiners ftw!

5. hotrod422

hotrod422 Well-Known Member

It all started with a small interest in Gobots way back in the day. The toys weren't great, but okay. Then Transformers the cartoon came out, and then the toys . . . and it was over. So I guess the cartoon started it. As a child, I was always curious how they transformed, and how they worked. That still intrigues me today.

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's always been about the toys for me. There's alway been a basic curiosity there, because they are 'more than meets the eye'.

Over the years I've developed an appreciation for the basic challenges involved in designing a transformer. I get a kick out of some of the character designs and vehicle designs. The other thing about a transformer, is not only does it have to look good in at least 2 different modes, but the journey from one to the other should be fun and inventive.

I also enjoy the tactile nature of the transformation process. I like good use of diecast, and joints that click just right.

7. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Because I couldn't afford any as a kid during G1 and had cheap parents. This is now a time of making up for my childhood I missed out on. Reliving moments is the #1 reason for me.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine as well

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I like robots in general. So Robots that can turn into stuff is even better.

I buy the toys mostly for the fact that I love the concept that I can have a toy of something like a car, and then shift it around and now it's a action figure.

I watch the fiction(TV shows and Movies.) because as said before, I like robots; so stories about robots have always had my interest.
    I..Try and read the comics, but the comics actually tend to bore me most of the time.
    To be fair though, I've not read too many of the comics...Mostly just the "Ation" series, which seemed to start out pretty good but got dumb pretty fast, and the movie tie in comics, which were a waste of money.

Character's in the fiction can actually sometimes get me to buy a toy just because it's that character. But not always.
    Case in point: Universe Ironhide. I like the character, but I just can't bring myself to buy that toy...That toy is awful. imo
    But then again, I bought Universe Cheetor...Sooo...I guess I'm just a bigger fan of Cheetor then I am of Ironhide. *Shrug*

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    this is my reason and just for the love of the toys

11. BurnZ

BurnZ Soundwave Superior...

News Credits:
    My four reasons have already been said:
    - Design
    - Engineering
    - Puzzles
    - What I couldn't have/get as a child

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    My love started in 1984 with the toys and the cartoon at the same time. Then it spiraled out from there. I loved the characters and stories in the cartoon, and then the design aspect of the toys were (and are) amazing to me. The fact that a thing can be changed into something else! Then a couple years later, into 3 things!

I remember playing with Astrotrain as a kid and my dad asked to check it out. He was amused and amazed at the same time and it was at that moment he "got it", he understood the appeal and supported my addiction.

13. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i like the mental challenge of transforming it and i love the fact thats its two toys in one. thats how i originally got started. i like animals so my mom said theres a show on fox kids called beast wars ( not knowing it was transformers).

i started watching and i fell in love with it. the toys were just gravy.

i love robots!!!

i love animals and cars!!!!

therefore!!!.....

I LOVE TRANSFORMERS

14. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    From a collecting standpoint it brings me back to when toys ruled my life (even though it was 10 years ago)
    Edit: I do buy figs because they are cool, looking back I wish I had kept buying TFs, I stopped buying early on during RID and began again this past March.

15. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Cuz they're two toys in one!

16. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Two toys in one indeed. That and they were so unique and different - still are. Sure, there are plenty of cheap knock offs. They can patent the logos, names and 'Transformer' brand, but not the concept.
    They are just cool. As a kid it was fascinating, something never before seen, then as an adult you find a whole different side of cool, that they are still loved today and have this huge legacy.
    For me, probably many others here, theres also a thrill of being there when it all began. Glorious.

17. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for me, its the 2 in 1 combo. not just the 'car and robot in one', but also the 'art and math(engineering) in one'.

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    And some of the stuff they can pull if (again this does fall kinda under engineering) is just insane. I'd use MP05 as an example again but..eh the figure speaks for itself enough IMO. But something like say..RotF Wheelie (mostly because he is my most recent purchase, but also because he is a good example). Wheelie, in his RC car mode, is almost a scout sized vehicle, but take him to robot mode and you have probably the tallest deluxe figure ever, I mean he's taller than Voyager Fallen, who is pretty damn tall for a voyager, taller than Animated Lockdown who pretty much did what Wheelie did first..kinda, but not in quite as impressive a manner (at least not anymore). Lockdown is tall for a deluxe, yeah, but it's just that his vehicle mode isn't all that small in comparison to other figures in his class, not like Wheelie.

19. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I like robots.

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

They're fun.