why do you like the movie toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Jan 13, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Yeah, the 80 dollar toys could look cool, but the new ones popping up look nothing like what IML will produce on screen. Blackout is the only toy I think I might buy based on the pictures we have seen. The new autobot toy images are kinda nice...but not classics nice....

I think what kills it for me is that the ALT modes are as acurate as the Alternators line....but the actual transformations suffer because they have to look like a half assed atempt to look like the bots in the movie. I dont like that.

What do you think?

2. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    They may not be the best TFs ever, but they look darned cool. Nice vehicle modes, robot modes with KILLA YOU GOOD faces and detailing. And the larger the size class, the better they'll be. They're quite a nice compromise between the movie aesthetic and a more toy-ish form, and most importantly, they're something different. The current aesthetic is nice enough, but it's time for a change.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Classics look like baby toys compared to the film. *ducks chairs*

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

classics can probably hold chairs...movie toys just break them...rendering them useless!

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Aside from the faces, I generally like the toys. The developers have said that they have tried to design the bots by trying to figure out how the real objects could go about TF'ing into robots, and I dig that "realism" aspect of them. Realistic or not, though, they still need to be attractive, and I feel they have mostly accomplished that.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i like them to spite you.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really like the median they reach between the CG models and usual toy looks. Nice to receive 3D representations of another artists' interpretations of the designs. The little touches to achieve CG Model Details have a great amount of thought put into them, and truly rub me the right way. :p 

They're...they're also pretty to me.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In at least a few cases, I like the movie toys better than the actual designs they're based on, due to the simplification inherent in translating to a 10-20 dollar toy form.

So far, I like Ratchet and I expect to like Blackout. I think Scorponok is neat as a monster scorpion thing. I'm indifferent toward Bumblebee, Barricade, Ironhide, and the protoforms (don't dislike, but don't find them overly exciting either), and can't stand Starscream. I am quite curious to see a robot mode pic of the Jazz toy.

In terms of overall "feel", I do admit I prefer most Classics/Energon/Cybertron/G2, Many BW, and several BM, however.

9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

You play nice now, like the other kids!

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

To spite people that hate them.

{EDIT}

Damnit KA beat me to it.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Because they kick ass. :p 

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Realistic alt modes.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Like Feralstorm, I like them BETTER than the movie versions.

I find the movie designs are too busy, and lack the bigger chunks that make Transformers "feel" like Transformers. Because of the simplification of the designs, I find the toys come out a bit more traditional. Of course, I don't like all the toys I've seen so far, but Ratchet, Blackout and Bumblebee are alright in my books.

Barricade has some potential for kitbashing. Brawl is a bit goofy looking to me, and Starscream is a mess. Scorponok is just a robot Scorpion, but somehow doesn't appeal to me in a big way (weird since I adore the Zoids Deathpion). I'm still waiting to see some more pics of Ironhide, and Jazz obviously.

I do love the more realistic vehicle modes, especially the 70's Camaro version of BB. We just don't see enough TFs that turn into "old" vehicles.

zmog

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cause....

We'll never get Ironhide, Jazz, or Rachet Classics. So These are just as good to me.

15. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I dont really compare the moive line to any other line, while personally I'm a bigger fan of the Classic or Ol' school look and the blocky Transformers but im also a BW/BM fan too. I just take the line as is, It's the moive line and they look good so far, some not great and some amazing but overall should be interesting.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    'Cause they're cool. Especialy the legends class ones.

17. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    So far, I've only liked two that I've seen: Ironhide and Blackout. I don't really care for the rest seen up to this point.

I like Blackout's prototype simply because it looks damn cool and Ironhide looks a helluva lot like Trailbreaker.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow! I didn't notice that before, but you're right! Now I want it. :) 

zmog