Why do you like Animated?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by petes2177, Dec 6, 2009.

1. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started watching it on YouTube a week or two ago and finished all 42 episodes in 3 days. I LOVE Animated now.

At first, I though Animated was eh. Although, the character's designs looked interesting so I decided to watch the first 3 episodes of Animated. I did, then 2-3 weeks later, decided to watch the whole series.

On to the point:

I like Animated because of the characters, story, humor, G1 references and because of it's toy line. A lot of the figures are accurate to their on-screen counterparts, which suprised me when I got my first couple of Animated figures.

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great post! But I think this should be in General Discussion.

I love Animated because the characters are all well developed, (even the villains) and because they sometimes surprise you with brilliant story moves. The animation allows for a lot more dynamism and emotion for the characters, making them truly alive and personal. This hasn't been seen since the great Beast Wars.

Other random reasons why I like Animated:

-Optimus as a young, learning kid. Screams Primal to me, and it's so good when he finally learns to pwn the baddies.

-Megatron as a SUPREME BADASS! He literally knocks aside all threats and has a wicked cool voice. Probably the best Megatron ever, if the show lasted longer, he might overtake Beast Wars Megatron as my favorite.

-The ranking system. Having Prime and Magnus as proper ranks are awesome.

-Consistent and deep mythology.

-The humans being actually fun, such as Sari, Fanzone and Isaac Sumdac.

-Tributes to older characters which are downright innovative, primarily Soundwave, Grimlock, and Blackarachnia.

-Lugnut and Blitzwing, need I say more?

-Too many more, I'll think them up and list them next time.

3. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right you are. Mods please move to GD.

Also, I agree with you 100%.

Sucks that they cancelled it.

4. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the TV series, but when it comes to the toys, Transformers Animated pushed TF toy making to the limits. Deluxe prowl is a fine example. I only wish they where able to apply it to ROTF line.

5. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love how simple the transformations are and how accurate they are.

While the movie figures are nice, I agree with most when they say that they're way too complicated to transform.

Another thing that intrigues me is that on some Animated figures, the same slots and pegs can go into various parts. Take Leader Bulkhead for example: those 'clips' on the bottom of his alt. mode can peg the feet in alt. mode and peg the two back wheels in robot mode.

6. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    the humans were actually fun and not annoying, the robots' personalities were fully developed and we grew attatched to them, so when we got their toy incarnation it was actually a pretty cool feeling.
    One word.
    Swindle.
    I think the lack of decepticon appearances, made it all the better and cooler when they did appear.

7. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

to be honest, i was attracted to the toys. i really liked the artistic approach they had on the characters. kinda like a breath of new fresh air or the sort. transformation for the toys were also great, a big difference from the tftm line at the time where this twisted here, this turned here etc and you'd spend 10 min just folding out a leg.
    i decided to watch the cartoon since i was buying the toys and it was actually great. i agree with everyone that the human characters were fun with unique personalities. they felt like they had some sorta role with the transformers than just add ins. character development was good too, and i liked how they kept some certain characteristics from the g1 (like star scream always trying to lead etc..).

8. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i love the cartoon - i probably like it better than G1 - and the figures are amazing.. one of my favorite lines ever.. i cant put my finger on exactly why i love the show n toys so much.. but i do

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Show-wise, a lot of fun to watch, but with just enough depth to keep me hooked. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and it's one of the few TF shows where the human cast really adds to the experience, rather than seeming just tacked-on or downright detrimental.

Toy-wise, most do an excellent job of matching their on-screen counterpart, are relatively easy to transform without being overtly simple or obvious, and have a level of personality and "soul" to the sculpt never seen before or probably since. It's neat to see a robot toy that looks lively even if it's just standing there.

10. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The writing was fantastic, the humans weren't annoying. Toys had simple transformations, VERY accurate to their cartoon counterparts and great articulation.

I started loving the show ever since, in 'Thrill of the Hunt', Prowl came in out of nowhere and BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF LOCKDOWN!! That particular fight scene was really well done.

Also, BLITZWING. Do I need to say anything more?

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    -Sweet character design (I suppose you either love it or hate it..I'm on the lovin' side :) ).
    -Great voice talent
    -It feels refined
    -Lighthearted but some good themes and issues underneath
    -Really feels like a product made with love & care
    -Toys are simple, but have great character

Some things I liked less:
    -I think it started off a bit slow
    -I don't really like Sari. I loved Fanzone and Sumdac, though!
    -Animation quality is sometimes sub-par

It's not perfect, and there's some things in my head I wish they'd done, or might do for the future, but I really loved it overall!

12. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like animated because the makers used a different formula with

Optimus Prime being the leader of a spacebridge repair crew and not the Leader of all Autobots,Optimus is told by ultra magnus not to be a hero its not in his programming,but by the end he is a hero thr greatest hero on cybertron.

The other main crew are all interesting

-Ratchet is the old cranky medical bot,but he is the most experienced.he also has interesting back story with his relationships with arcee and omega supreme.

-Prowl is the moody loner who learns to be a team player and care for others .
    also He is a Ninja who proves he is worthy to be be one.

-Bumblebee is the young and annoying bot who is extremely cocky,despite being an elite guard failure,but he grows throughout the series and becomes less annoying and becomes a really important part of the team, a real autobot warrior.

-Bulkhead is the clumsy unintelligent bot who eventually becomes the brains of the team,one of the most likeable characters.

-Also i like the way the makers have designed every character so that they are all likeable even the characters with the smallest part in the series.

-The decepticons are also much more powerful one on one against an autobot
    often needing the whole team to take one down,meaning they are real threaths.

-The Megatron in this series i think is the best ever as he is so calculating always 2 steps ahead of the Autobots,and extremely powerful.

-The human characters are actually important in this series ,they are actually likeable and helpful.

-I really liked the idea of the starscream clones having different aspects of Starscreams personality its so funny when they are together.

-The voice acting is amazing perfect for every character.

All in All this series is in my opinion the best ever,the mix of cool characters ,character growth ,humor and an awesome Story all add up to an amazing series.

Also the toys are great they are all really show accurate with great transformations ,best toys ever.

13. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

The series, to me, was the definitive Transformers show. I grew up with G1 (according to my mum, I actually wore out the tape on my copy of the '86 movie from watching it too much), liked Beast Wars a lot, tolerated Beast Machines and RiD and skipped every other series until Animated. The characters in BM through Cybertron just annoyed me. Animated on the other hand had excellent characters, each with their strengths and flaws, really great stories and just generally a better over-all story arc. I liked how they gave every character a fresh new spin.

As for the toys, they are the most expressive Transformer toys I've seen. They ooze character and each toys seems to match perfectly with the character displayed in the show. The screen accuracy from toy to cartoon is simply amazing and while some have bits of kibble here or there or a cheat (Bumblebee), they still manage to attain a level of accuracy not seen before Animated. Plus, they're just plain fun to pull off the shelf and fiddle with.

14. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebees cheating chest is show accurate it is included on character model.so he is even more show accurate.

15. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I think animated was brilliant while some episodes were very goofy plots they were entertaining. I love how they had so much g1 in it in new and unique ways such as the headmaster. Yes the character annoyed me but the idea was great.

The characters were also birlliant. Megatron was great and the starscream clones. Blitzwing and lugnut are an awesome pair. ANd swindle. Swindle was great.

As for the toy line i have not been a big collector but the ones i have are great. Someone mentioned leader class Bulkhead which is an amazing figure. I love swindle and the gimmick for "arming" his missile launcher. The Safeguard figure is also amazing and so show accurate.

While animated is gone sadly i hope that some of the things that animated did so extremely well will carry over to whatever the next animated tf show is made.

16. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

it was definitely the story which sold it to me. how it could be funny and serious at the same time, and how the characters interacted with each other :) 

17. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

somebody mentioned it on the first page, but soul.

i absolutely loved animated, it reinvigorated my interest in the franchise and i went from jonesing for my geewun nostalgia fix on ebay, to a fully paid up member of the fandom (what ever that means). i don't think it's hyperbole to say that animated will be remembered as being utterly brilliant and it's cancellation utterly inexplicable.

it feels like the guys making animated genuinely loved what they were doing, and the incredible character design is some of the freshest the franchise has ever seen. the toys being brilliant always helps too...

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

At first, the designs put me off from ever wanting to watch Animated. Finally I just caved in and watched it, and boy was I wrong about whatever assumptions I had of the show. I loved the fact that it was written absolutely well, and the characters were just unbelievably fleshed out. Plus, all the homages from previous Transformers series (especially G1) were fun to look for. Such a shame it got canceled, and that the final episode seemed rather rushed.

Toy wise, I have to agree that for once the figures are show-accurate. I can only hope that this sets the bar as far as coming out with Transformers figures that are accurate to what they look like on the screen, big or small.

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved the character growth too. Rather than just static characters, most of them grow throughout the series. Starting the Autobots out as lowly repairmen gave them the opportunity to grow and learn.

20. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

for me it wasn't that the series starting slowly was a bad thing in any way - if anything i felt the story in the last few episodes of series 3 was paced a little to frenetically, but they didn't have the luxury of a 4th series to tie up any loose ends.

either way, the slow reveal in series one was brill and as tfa built up a head of steam, we were watching more fully evolved characters rather than random cloned 'bots or single-appearance cannon fodder. lockdown was a really nice idea - the neutral transformer - and the origins of waspinator was a neat idea. and whilst rebooted prowl owed more than a little to tigatron, i thought he was easily on a par with the gritty security officer prowl from the IDW continuity.

TFA has more in common with beastwars in terms of pacing, cast and characterisation than the g1 cartoon, which i liked a lot and made it more watchable as a series rather than individual story arcs without any real thread tying them together.