Why do you hate the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kickback, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I'll decide if I hate it or not after I see it.

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

There's a number of people on this forum and elsewhere who have already stated that the movie sucks and thusly they will not watch it. They've come to that conclusion based solely on what they know of how the source material will be treated, which has next to nothing to do with what makes a movie good or not. We're all entitled to love or hate the film. I myself may end up hating it if the source material gets too abused without good cause. But we shouldn't spout off to others that the film sucks just because of our own deep emotional attachment to the source material. Doesn't mean we have to love it either.

The details we fans are getting all hung up on, which are mostly aesthetic, will not effect whether it's a good or bad film. And the things that actually will are not things we can decide upon until after leaving the theatre in a year. But at the same time, no one should go into the theatre expecting to see the complete works of William Shakespeare. It's going to be a summer action film with robots from space that turn into cars and shit. And stuff will blow up. And things will be loud. And if we hate it, it was only eight bucks.

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

And on that we don't even KNOW how they treated said source material.Some members of the fandom have come to that conclusion for some reason

This isn't any different then any other fandom

Believe it or not I've seen posts where people hold that VERY expectation.

But you're right it is just basic summer action movie.Don't see how to expect anything more

4. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

The reason why Hollywood gets away with putting out crap is because, we, the customer pays to see the crap. You say that since its a summer action flick, all we really should expect is lots of "blowys" and "boomies". Where in the "Audience Member's Guide to Hollywood Movies" does it state that we can't also expect a great story with solid character development and a convincing plot.

I'm basing it off the rumors we've heard:

• the 70/30 split of screen time between humans and TFs
    • the "magic glasses" plot
    • the idea that Decepticons get minimal speaking lines and Megatron only is developed 80% of the way through the movie.

Those, I think, are bad ideas and will lead to a bad movie.

• the idea they made Bumblebee mute for a stupid "war wound" reason
    • the idea that they were considering making Soundwave a 4ft tall midget character who gets decapitated twice

5. Shaun_C

Except ALL those 3 things were said to be false or just exaggerations by Robert Orci.I even posted links to that very info.For you and others to see,yet you choose to hold faith in those rumors.

You're just a hater pure and simple

*EDIT*

Read this post & this post.Those 3 things you're worried about have been disproved.Now you can't hold on to those rumors as they have been disproved

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I read exactly those same things on donmurphy.net. In fact, if you were to look into that thread, you'll see that Sideswipe3 is the poster who asked the 70/30 question. Guess who that is! Me. Thats my screen name on that board. I can even dig up the post where Sideswipe3 says he posts here as Superion33.

I already explained this Shaun, people are going to read into those comments what they want to see. Roberto Orci's comments were so vague and ambiguous, they could have gone either way. I didn't see any information that was actually worth anything said in that entire thread.

To the Soundwave thing, he responded something to the effect that "he will be similar to the character we all remember". Now, I remember a big tall Decepticon who was one of the Decepticon leaders. Orci might have seen a robot that transformed into a music player that dealt into reconnaisance. Now, the Soundwave I remember wouldn't fit into this Soundbyte character however the Soundwave Orci remembers could fit into the Soundwave character.

You didn't disprove anything. You saw what you wanted to see in his comments and expect everyone else to come to the same conclusion you did.

I am not a hater. I don't want to hate this movie. I take no pleasure in seeing something I am very fond of not being made properly. Don't get me wrong, I am no Geewunner or whatever. I don't care if Prime is red, blue, or yellow. I don't care what kinda truck he is. I don't care who does his voice. I don't want to see a rehash of the old cartoon movie.

7. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

And on the flip side, we have what I call the Defenders of the Crown- those so blind and loyal that they spend all their energies defending this film and flogging others for their distrust of this production.

People bring up rumors by one source, these defenders dispell those rumors by another source... this source, not that source... "you're wrong"- "no you are"- "I'm worried about this film"- "no, you're just a 'hater'..."left wing, right wing... you're a hater

And lets say that the early critics of the film feel this film sux. Do you honestly think they will be allowed to feel that way? Just wait for the bloodshed next July 4th, when these defenders of the crown hate the haters for not loving the film and "embracing change" (man, I hate that phrase), that they are narrow-minded GEEWUNners, narrow minded, looking through G1 colored glasses...

I personally am taking a wait-and-see attitude. But, as for this fandom, it needs size 6 Huggies.

Isn't this thread alone all about that?

Uh uh uuuhh, that wasn't very nice.

-TFW2005 Staff

8. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

We've disagreed in the past, but I'm not holding a grudge over it... what I want to know from you is just one thing:

Do you feel your (or others' in similar positions of disappointment) requests for what the movie should be like were blatantly ignored by the ones who asked you for your input in the first place?

Hating the movie doesn't necessarily mean a G1-loyalty getting in the way of changing times, it could be something as simple as thinking Michael Bay is the absolute wrong guy for the project (an opinion I've seen voiced many times). It could be resentment toward the fans that seem to be getting a movie they want. It could be that Arcee really, really was important to a person and having her cut was like a stab through the heart. Some could just be boycotting Don Murphy over past grudges. There's a myriad of reasons why someone might have a preconceived dislike of this film, that's what the thread's asking about.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Y'know what, there is something about the movie I do hate already; having to wait till next summer to finally see it.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, I hope that the fandom has a decent supply ready for themselves, because the movie is a year away.

What I really want to know is why is anyone hating on a movie that they have yet to see based on rumors? Whether you believe that the rumors were debunked or not shouldn't matter, because they're just rumors. I'm hoping for a decent flik myself and have a certain distaste for both Don Murphy and Michael Bay (nothing personal against them, but the movies that they've been involved with that I know about haven't been to my liking personally) based on what they've done in the past. However, I want to like the movie and for the most part if I go in willing to see something different than it can't be much worse than any of the "reimaginings" that Hasbro and Takara have given us over the last couple of years.

Than again, Bay could turn this movie into the same shit hole that he did with The Island. He didn't stay true to the novel at all and it came across very much like a full fledged action film instead of the suspense movie it should have been. Just my two cents on that.

11. Shaun_C

I see no flogging,I see these so called "Defenders of the crown" trying to put forth a valid view point

And here's were you lose that argument.

That's the same remark you made last time in a thread regarding the movie.And that thread got removed

Lets not bring in that kind of stuff onto the boards, he didn't mean anything by it -TFW2005 Staff

12. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Silver Built, from what I can gather, the fanbase is divided into two groups:

1. People who say the film sucks, or is going to suck.

2. People who tell those people that they can't possibly know that already.

I wouldn't call group two "Defenders of the Crown". I would call them rational.

Now the film may very well end up sucking hard. And it may end up being totally awesome. But even if it's a great movie, in the end there will still be people who hate it because of character designs they find unforgivable. But everyone should at least be opened-minded enough to pay eight dollars to go see it, and sit through it entirely.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    It's not rational to defend to the death a cheesy little trailer.

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "rational"?

15. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

Ther are 2 more types of people:

1. those who say "the sky is red, not blue"

2. those who say "let the sky be blue".

If people want their suspension of belief to have some credibility, I believe that is their right.

If people dislike movies by Bay, then I believe that their distrust is rational.

If people don't like the fleeting glimpses of the 'bots from either the leaked BB pic, or the trailer, then their concerns are rational.

If Bacula's script review is accurate, and people don't like it, then they are being rational.

That's the way I see it.

If people use words like GEEWUNner, that is not rational.

If people criticize haters, claiming they are looking through G1 colored glasses, that is not rational.

If people flog others for not "accepting change", that is not rational.

So, how can you hate a hater because that hater hates? Is that rational?

Nope. Not at all.

Nope. Not at all.

No, the real question is this: why are we so worried about what the other person is thinking- to the point that we try to change their thought? Do we actually think ourselves so superior to our brother that we deem their beliefs and values as un-authorized? By our standards?

I personally made no request.
    I personally am taking a "wait and see" attitude.

However, I think many take that attitude. Is it rational, or valid? To a point, I think so. In the end, they will do what they want... so why even ask us?

Personally, I feel a little like we were sold one bag of goods... but will receive another when all is said and done.
    In the beginning, Don Murphy announced that he wanted to do a live action TF film. He- and I will paraphrase as close as I can- wanted to see an 18 wheeler turn into a big robot. He said he wanted to do a live action G1 film. We all cheered.
    The packaged eventually changed. Some will use the word "evolve". But whatever word is used, it is different from the fiorst.

Sorry to offend the offenders, but I call them the way I see them. Making people feel comfortable isn't always at the top of my list of priorities. If you think my POV is wrong, it's only because I have felt that same wrongness from here and other boards (allspark). Just because the package is different on the outside doesn't mean the contents aren't the same.

Think about it: why do these threads last 30 pages? Is it because of the haters, or those fighting them?

Man, lets just drop words like GEEWUNner, ARMADIOT and the like, let people have their say, and be done with it. We aren't them, and they aren't us; and it aint supposed to be either.

C

16. Shaun_C

Except that scene isn't even a part of the movie.Hence why harping on that is beyond useless

Except that's pre-judging.And not a good practise to get in the habbit of.

Oh it's most likely accurate,just that it's a review off of an 4+ month old script.So it's most likely NOT an accurate view of what the movie's like

No different then the term fanboy,except it's a specific type of fanboy.

Except that's called being closed minded.In another situation other then TFs that person would be labled as "closed minded"

No, the real question is this: why are we so worried about what the other person is thinking- to the point that we try to change their thought? Do we actually think ourselves so superior to our brother that we deem their beliefs and values as un-authorized? By our standards?

In the beginning, Don Murphy announced that he wanted to do a live action TF film. He- and I will paraphrase as close as I can- wanted to see an 18 wheeler turn into a big robot. He said he wanted to do a live action G1 film. We all cheered.
    The packaged eventually changed. Some will use the word "evolve". But whatever word is used, it is different from the fiorst.

Except there's a good reason to hate and a bad reason to hate.And I think the point of Kickback's thread is that from his POV and many others including myself.There really isn't a good reason to hate the movie yet

17. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

The thing I find the least rational is hypocrisy. You only see the haters getting criticized for not liking the rumors they are hearing. You don't hear any of the people who "wet themselves over the awesomeness of the rumor" being criticized. No one tells them "Your enthusiasm is mis placed. You can only be happy after you walk out of the theatre, then you can judge.

If believing in rumors is inherently bad. Then its bad no matter if the reaction is positive or negative.

There really isn't a good reason to love the movie yet either...

So what if it isn't a part of the movie? I wasn't criticizing it cuz I thought it would actually be in the film. I was criticizing it cuz it could be a harbringer of what the movie would be like. The lack of attention to detail or the adherence to realism. I understand its only a trailer and hope that the studio heard the gripe. Not cuz I want to feel good about myself, but for the fact that the audience notices things like that. They WON'T be able to get away with a half-assed product.

18. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I can't understand how anyone could hate a movie that hasn't even been released yet. We all know that the teaser trailer has nothing to really do with the movie. The cars kick ass. Optimus is a truck, not a monkey. Starscream is a jet, and Megatron is a machine of mass destruction. What else could anyone ask for? Dumb question huh?

19. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Can I ask for a reasnoble looking bots that don't look like a pile of tubes and pipes ?

Can I ask for a script that won't bite ass and will have more bots ratio and not 70/30 ? Or maybe a better storyline ?

Can I ask for better actors ?

can I ask for Cullen and Welker taking the lead role V.A?

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    People in general will always be like this. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not going to say it's iherently wrong either. The question you're asking goes far beyond this movie though and seems more like a dive into an individual(s) psychi. Personally I do not want to even go there.

In my personal opinion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, that doesn't mean that if someone's opinion of something is different from mine that I'm not going to say that I disagree with them. I'm going to verbally disagree. Doesn't mean I'm trying to force them to see things my way, but just to let them know that not everyone feels as you do. I excpect the same in return and me and those involved have learned from these things. Sometimes we agree to disagree, but find some respect for the other persons point of view. Other times either myself or the other person is won over to either's point, because that's why people discuss there opinions in the first place. To try to make others see thing from their point or at least acknowledge a different opinion.

The problem I see on these boards (and other message boards) though is that there seems to be a small number that simply can't have a rational discussion and have to resort to name calling and the like. I'm with you... let's do away with the terms Geewunner, Kiddieformer & Armadiot. They're more childish than our beloved franchise if you know what I mean. On the other hand there's also people whom will wave their flag until they're blue in the face... like everytime someone brings up how great a particular show was and how it was better than what we get now... and they continue to wave the flag... to death.

But in the end, people are people and they're either going to love this film or hate this film. Personally, I don't think there is any reason yet to hate this film, but god damnit there's no reason to be in love with this film yet either. And some people seem to be in love with this film just because it's a TF movie... guys... it could very well turn out to be utter garbage... but it could also turn out to be great. Next year we will know which way it goes, but right now I think both sides are yelling just to hear themselves yell. Either point is mute right now. Not saying that opinions aren't valid, but the two sides points are mute. There is currently no reason to hate the movie, but there is also no reason to love it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.