Why do you hate the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kickback, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'm curious.

There are people on various websites that are all about hating the TEASER, hating everything to do with anything that's been released regarding the movie.

My question is WHY?

I have my theories - mostly that some people have a hard-on for hating Michael Bay because they think their imaginative minds can do better than the millions of dollars Bay has made from his movies.

People hate Don Murphy because he's actually not afraid to come out and tell you how it is. As much as we've gone rounds with the guy, you gotta respect the whole "balls on the table" approach. Yet he's probably done more for the movie than we realize (or he's full of it, really depends on who you talk to I suppose).

So what is the reason you hate the movie? And I don't want to see a bunch of "I don't hate the movie, but..." responses. If you're bitching and complaining about the teaser, the rumors, the apparent script ... you hate the movie. That or you're just wanting attention and feel that expressing your complaints will somehow get you in the popular minority.

You need to realize this:

Michael Bay? That whole crew that are out there shooting the movie, putting the dollars forward, etc.? They're not making the movie for you. They did not go, "Hey, let's go make a movie for John Doe, he's been kind of bored lately". No. The reason this movie is being made is because Hasbro, Dreamworks, and Paramount believe there is money to be made in it. Transformers have not been as popular as they have been in the last few years except for back in the mid 80's when they were released.

So why SHOULD you see this movie, if it's not being made for you, if every freakin' detail is off and it's pissing you off?

Because people like Don Murphy, people like Aaron Archer, the type of people that every freakin' "TRUE FAN!!!11!" has come to hate whether it be that Don Murphy somehow insulted their mother or Aaron Archer designed a toy they just can't stand .... they are the people that are trying to put the shit in the movie that will cater to you. They are the ones trying to make sure little pieces of what you grew up with are thrown in to this movie.

I guess what I'm saying, as a FAN, is that before you expect to see your G1 characters in 3D running around a real-background, you should stop and do the one thing you've refused to do the last 20 years.

Grow up.

Because that's what this beloved franchise of ours has done with this movie. Sure, it still may be targetted at kids. It still may be a little unbelievable. And there may be some corny lines, corny dialogue, and moments that make you cringe.

But this is the evolution of the Transformers. So many of you have wanted this franchise to explode, for everyone to see WHY you love it so much. Here's that opportunity. And they've given it to the Hollywood experts to make it possible.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Personally. I'm looking forward to the movie. But I still think Murphy's an absolute tool.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have a theory, and it's only a theory. I don't claim to know everything or understand why people act the way they do, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that something that is a hobby to many people "their" hobby, "their" toys the thing that "they" are into is about to go mainstream big time.

Maybe it's like when you have this great local or underground band that you really love, and you tell people about it all the time, tell them how cool they are, how much you enjoy them, it stats to feel like they are "your" band. People get this sense on entitlement. People feel like it's "their" thing, their cool little underground thing that only they and a select few are fans of - then they sign with a major label and everyone knows who they are.

They are not cool anymore, they're not "underground" anymore, you can't act like a pretentious dipshit by saying you like them anymore - because now everyone likes them, everyone knows who they are, and suddenly it's cool to hate on them, cool to say they sold out, that they are "not the same anymore".

Could this be at least part of whats going on here with transformers?

Is Hollywood and Michael Bay and Don Murphy stomping all over "your" transformers, changing them, making them into "sellouts" if it were?

...I don't know, but I have a feeling that deep down inside, somewhere in your mind that many of you may not even be aware of, this might be at least part of what's going on here.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'm starting to think the same thing. When this all began, I thought he would be a real awesome way that the fandom could have some input or sway in the way this film would turn out.

...but some pretty big concerns have been raised, all of which he's decided to handle by being cryptic, confusing or by bashing the people on his message board.

Tough digs, kiddo. On the one hand, I wonder if the more vigilant fans killed any communicative ability between us and Murphy. On the other hand, if he's opening up a message board for fan input, he better be ready for all the crap that comes with it.

It seems like he's turned a deaf ear to us. As have most of the other production staff.

I'm disappointed with how the Hollywood types interacted with us. So far, it's been a lot of "yeah, we'll do this - oh, actually, we're not going to do that." responses. I feel we've been given that shaft with Peter Cullen as Prime and I now feel like we're getting that with the designs of the robot modes.

NOW - does that mean I hate the movie? Fuck no! I can't wait to see A LIVE-ACTION TRANSFORMERS MOVIE IN THE THEATERS WITH MY FRIENDS. That'll be AWESOME. I can't wait. In the end, they'll get my cash, because I still get the giddies each time I watch that teaser.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. They may not get my cash, but I'll still see the movie.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Can somone tell me what Don Murphy's role in this whole thing is...

What did he do before?
    Why do we hate him?

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Just before anyone says anything:

I don't have any beefs with Don Murphy anymore. Yes, I think his attitude might not exactly be helpful, but any differences I had with him have been sorted out, he himself told me that "we're cool", and I respect what he's doing with the movie.

7. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

First of all, I don't hate movie. No buts. I'm looking forward to it.

As to why some people hate it, I have my theory....

They believe they know more about Transformers than the people making this movie. And you know what? They are right. We are on a TF message board because we love TFs. I bet 90% of the people on this board do know more about the characters than those involved in this production. All of us will watch it, and will see something that we know is wrong, and will instantly think of a better way it could have been handled because we KNOW the character in question. Even those of us who come out of it thinking it is the greatest film ever will still think this, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that.

8. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Until now we don´t have enough data about the movie to say: "Will be a CRAP" or "Will ROCK!" - I just think we have to wait for more information. But the teaser show the movie is at least promissing.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Why do I hate the movie? Because it killed off all the good characters, and replaced them with a bunch of boring or annoying bots. And Hot Rod as the new leader? WTF? He's not a Prime, he's the Prime Slayer!

Oh wait. You mean the one they're still making....

I don't hate it. I'm not sure what my expectations for it are, right now. But, I don't hate it. I will say that I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the robot looks. They're too much like endoskeletons in poorly fitting armor. They look lightly built, big without much mass. They need to be less Terminator, and more Robocop. Better yet, they need to look like Transformers.

I am afraid they're going to have some cheap cop out "cheat" transformation, like all the panels folding up into nothing, and sliding out of sight. I keep thinking of the '89 Batmobile armor, or either version of the TV show Viper. (Probably more like the second one, than the hex plate one.)

All that said, it should still be an enjoyable movie.

Just so long, as they don't have Gary Chalk voice Prime....

10. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

My theory

D_C you and UltraPrime have probably hit the nail on the head.

My theory is actually a combination of UltraPrime's and your's.

I've been reading the boards LONG before I ever joined one.And I noticed ONE commonality.

When I read posts saying "We kept this franchise alive for 20+ years,this is our movie" To me I think of one word ARROGANCE

D_C; you're most likely right,part of the hate probably comes from the fact that Transformers will be hitting the mainstream.So it won't be some cool underground thing anymore.The fandom's afriad of that and the only way they can deal with that fear is to project hated/negativity towards the very thing that'll bring Transformers into the lime light.Namely the movie,which is why even on this board you see posters complaining about the color of the sky in the teaser from the inaccuracy of the Rover 2.

UltraPrime;you too raised a good point.Another commonality of the fandom is that they feel they can do everything better.You have people criticizing Don's art when they themselves can't draw squat.Or fandom members who think they can run a convention better then a company who's run successful conventions for almost a decade.I'm no slouch when it comes to certain aspects of TF history/cartoon/comic trivia.However every now and then I learn something new about the cartoon,the movie or even the old Marvel comics

Kickback;you too raised a good point about growing up.You're 100% right Transformers have evolved SO MUCH since Generation 1.However since Beast Wars some members of the fandom have fought against this evolution.Do you think the kids who the newer toys are marketed towards are complaining about things like head scuplts or script errors in the cartoon?Nope,they're just like we were during G1.They just enjoy the show and play with the toys.

And this ranting about how the movie needs to follow G1 or else it'll fail has to stop.G1 ended 20 years ago and with good reason as it passed it's prime.The core target grew and the concepts were pretty boring as there was no new show or comic to heighten interests

And about the arrogance I mentioned,there's a certain arrogance regarding this movie.The fandom's feels slighted because THEIR hobby will no longer be their's.Once the movie hits many people old and new will quiet possibly get latent interests reignited

Oh well that's my take anyway.

11. ABoMiNuS

ABoMiNuS Who Knows? Im new?

my concern is that all the characters will be changed modes... like how can you make one guy who was a car in the cartoons turn into a tank in the movies. I just hope these rumors arnt correct.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Because it's a new incarnation of Transformers, just like RID and the Armadaverse.

Similar characters, re-used names -new universe.

13. † Sunstorm

† Sunstorm Sunstorm member 1

i did argue with Don himself in two thread full of crap and got banned :p  so when i actually think about it "exacly WHAT em i arguing about? i havent even seen the teaser...what a dumbass i em :( " pretty lame eh? anyway im posetive in this movie once again :) 

14. Shaun_C

It's funny THIS is the one thing the fandom can't seem to grasp.

Which is weird since we've had 10 yrs of character names being reused but with different alt modes

15. † Sunstorm

† Sunstorm Sunstorm member 1

ok ok ok i got THIS complainet already, when we are being told that we get DEVASTATOR in this movie then we actually EXPECT to see devastator too :(  and not a lousy truck with spears in the front, i mean, i have seen far more AGGRESSIVE cars in carmageddon 2 :p 

16. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

Everyone who says they hate the movie for any reason before they actualy see the film come off, to me, as arrogant.

I can understand that some ppl don't want to see it because of the fear that they'll screw up a character and their childhood will be raped, but I really don't care. I want to see this movie, I'm going to go see it, and I'll judge it as such when I have a reason to judge it.

17. Shaun_C

And even that fear of having your childhood reasoning is faulty.I mean HOW can you rape someone's childhood memories?

I mean memories are memories and they're always there.Besides if they hate the movie that much they've still got the G1 DVD sets,the G1 movie and the special edition movie set to come out.So their "precious" childhood memories of G1 are safe

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I hate it because they're not going to exhume Chris Latta and use black voodoo magic to reanimate him so he can voice Starscream.

It's like the people in charge don't even care what the fans want.

:p 

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I like how there are more long drawn out theories on why other people hate the movie than people who hate the movie answering the question :lol 

Anyway, I don't see what to really hate yet. But I don't pay attention to the rumors and junk. G1 come to life on the big screen is a dream come true, and I am ecstatic:D 

The trailer did look cheap though. It got the point across, but still cheap.

20. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    IMHO, I'm basically going to keep an open mind until I see the official trailer or see the movie in the theater a year from now.

Yes, I have some reservations, but I won't critique or complain about things until I personally see the whole movie. And yes, I'm willing to accept change as long as the movie does not pull a Tristar Godzilla. Considering the director, writer and producers involved (especially Spielberg) I am still looking forward to the movie with great interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.