Fan Art: Why do you do art?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dreweido, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I saw this type of thread at another art board. I thought it was interesting. Why do we do art? Why does it seem like our community (transformers, as a whole) has put together some fantastic artists? Why do we go on and on, sitting in front of Photoshop for hours to find the right shades of red green and blue, drawing-erasing-drawing-erasing-drawing in a tablet until we're satisfied, creating wallpapers that no one might ever use but dangnabit they should. Why? Why does art have such a soft spot in our hearts of time? So I ask, what gives you the motivation to continue doing what you do and what made you do it in the first place?

I suppose for me, I was trying to find something to do when I was extremely bored. I wanted to be able to create great art but since I couldn't draw I needed something else. I turned to coloring. Why do I still do it? I think because I know if I work at it long enough I can only get better and have more oppurtunties to use those skills in the real world. I want to get better at working with Photoshop overall as well and this gives me the best way to go about doing so (in my humble colorist opinion). I guess I'm more utilitarian in my art. I do it to help myself, but I suppose that art is just that. A use of expression while at the same time being a form of expression.

Thoughts?

2. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've drawn since I was 3. It's just what I do.

As to the "why do I do art?" question, the short answer is it's how I make a living.

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I just turn on the computer and things continue from there. ;) 

4. limabean

limabean Well-Known Member

Its a hobby and sometimes i get paid to do it

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    because its FUN

6. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    DITTO!!!

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I wish I could, man I can't draw for crap.

I do my other artisic stuff as a fun hobby to exercise and sharpen the creative skills.

8. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I do it because it's a fun hobby that relaxes me. It also lets me run wild with my imagination and helps me bring things to life that would otherwise impossible to create. Everynow and then it helps bring some extra cash, but for me it's not the primary reason for doing it. And sometimes it makes a few people happy.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    dunno really

never really sat down and thought about it personally

being creative is just a part of who i am. Ever since before i can remember ive been drawing pictures,making my own comics and storybooks. Eventually thats lead into other avenues of creating. I enjoy writing [only when i can think of something i enjoy to write about though :p ], drawings always something i've done, i enjoy playing/making music as well.

Cant say i know for sure WHY it pleases me to create but it does. I enjoy the fact that i spent my own time out of a day and because of that i have something to show that i am proud of, and that hopefully other people enjoy. Theres just something about creating something and having people enjoy whatever it is you've just spent your time making.

i do art cuz i enjoy it, though now that making art has become my job im always trying to be careful to not lose that fire. Getting behind constant deadlines and working on projects i lack enthusiasm for hinders the experience, but i always have to remember that in the end, when all is said and done i can sit back and say "i made that" and know that other people can appreciate and enjoy that.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'm a frustrated artist. What I see in my head I can never seem to get into paper.

I guess it's why I never pursued an art career.

Frankly I need others to appreciate my work. Because usually I'll doodle absentmindedly then toss it away. Only to have a friend or family member insist that my work is great.

So I'm my own worst critic I suppose.

But if I don't let these inspirations out of my head in some form or another they just gnaw at me.

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Personally, it's one way I stay human from the challenges and stresses of life.:) 

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    its a great way to mooch off office hours.

13. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    oh, yesss. For a single man living alone, when he gets bored at night, doing art could be a better thing than ****(you know what I mean).

*cough*

Well, generally speaking, any form of art isn't only to express oneself, but it's also a way to find/understand oneself.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Why do I do art?
    Because I can. Because I'm supposed to be good at it. And most of all, because I want to.

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

thats deep man

very deep

[you been livin alone a little TOO long maybe?] :3
    xD

16. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a good question.
    As some of you know, I used to work in Japan building alluminium parts for vehicles. Now, I work as an illustrator for a brazilian publisher, and have time for nothing else.

I'll tell you, the mental stress is damaging. I used to draw as a hobby, but doing this professionally has been draining my life literally - I work overnight, weekends and hollydays. I have tons of commissioned work to finish but I can't work on them. It's also specially boring when you have to deal with clients all the time and work accordingly to what they want - your creativity goes down the drain most of the time. Some people are really cool and let you work the way you want, but drawing for fun/as a hobby and drawing for a living are two completely different things. I'm currently working for a magazine that deals with japanese anime - stuff like Naruto, Inuyasha, One Piece. I hate anime, so you can have an idea of how painful it can be sometimes.

That's why I envy comic book pencilers like Don - they do whatever they want and they love it. And get paid for it.

Right now I'm just trying to save some money to buy my own place to store my stuff (toys, books, hardware) and then I'll quit my current job and go back to Japan. I'd like to return to 3D, learn more things before I continue with this career. The way it is, it's just stressing the hell out of me.

17. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    Look, now there's another homesick guy here.
    Ganbare, Makoto!

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I wondered what happend to you. I used to love your stuff.

Well good luck and I look forward to the day you can get back to doing it for the joy of it.

19. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

I do art because it helps me to relax, and take my mind off the day. It also allows me to be creative. But most of all, it's just fun. I guess with me there's really no "deep" reason as to why I draw, it's just my way of having fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

20. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess you can say that :lol  I was born in Brazil, but I hate this place. So I'm definitely going back to Japan when the time comes.