Why do you collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TJOmega, Apr 22, 2007.

1. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I searched for this topic and found nothing, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

So I'm sitting here with a MISB Alternators Camshaft that didn't require selling a kidney to afford, and my usual knife for opening up packaging... 529 Transformers in my collection and never before did I consider keeping one MISB until this one.

Personally, I collect because I enjoy the figures, not because they're going to be worth more someday. I enjoy transforming them, posing them, displaying them proudly with the rest of their series... I don't enjoy a figure left in the box and reduced to a statue. At the same time, seeing how much it already goes for on eBay and it hasn't even been out a year yet... it makes me hesitate like I may be doing something very dumb by cutting him out. It's not that I ever intend to sell the figure, but I may be tempted enough by the right trade someday, and I've heard plenty on here say they never intend to sell any but sure enough they have a sales thread a year later.

While I'm still debating, it got me curious. Why do you collect? Is there any importance to you that a rare figure will be worth a lot someday open or not, or is it simply having a figure that rare that's important?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I collect mainly because of the complexity of them. Their kinda like puzzles, but more entertaining in my opinion.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I collect because I love the toys. I do have a few that are technically MISB, but only because I've been too busy to open and display them or I'm saving them for a rainy day (those TF lulls we all know and love). I've never been concerned about reselling a figure in my collection.

4. AMG

AMG Old School

I collect because I'm a fan of Transformers as a whole, including the shows, toys and comics. The value of any given toy is nothing more than but a bonus, and has no baring on my Transformers collecting habits.

5. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

This hobby is the only thing that really gives me a rush. It's made life soo much easier, enjoyable and bearable. Please, open up your Camshaft...neatly with an exacto knife.

6. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

Ditto. Although, this doesn't explain opening repaints like Alt Nemesis. I already had Alt Prime for 6mo and have transformed him enough to be familiar with every detail, so why was I compelled to open an $70 black version of him? Must be that other voice in me that screams for equal ranks between bots & cons.

7. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Sometimes I wonder.

I first started "collecting" during Beast Wars when the Transmetals and Fuzors started appearing on shelves. I only bought a few, out of nastalgia for the G1 figures from my youth and because i loved the BW show. It kind of just snoballed from there. A few I bought becuase "hey, they may be worth a couple thousand someday" but mostly just because I enjoyed them.

My habits have changed a lot. Beast Wars only. Then Alternators. Then i sold my Alternators and went back to BW hardcore. Then i sold off most of my US BWs for NEO. Now that I've completed NEO, I've gotten into Macross. I'm contemplating selling/trading most of my NEOs (as much as i love them) to feed that desire...

ugh.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I collect, because I never grew up. :) 

9. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I collect because I LOVE the thrill of finding an oddity that I don't have.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collect TFs in particular (and only TFs really) because nothing looks cooler on my shelf than Giant Robots, or cool cars. Take your pick. When the ladies come over, you turn them into cars and then you look like a car-lover, and when your friends come over, you can geek out and have robots on your shelf. Not that I'm ashamed of my collection, but it's another way to exploit robots in disguise.

11. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    My reason: To increase the ever expansion of knowledge, thinking, and the mind.
    And because the figures are awesome.

12. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    To find that good deal, the short-packed figure in the case assortment, or the next big thing like MP-05. I've liked tfs ever since I can remember and what else am I gonna spend my money on? And tfs appeal to need to know how things work or tic if you will. I love taking things apart and you kinda get to do that with a tf without having parts and pieces lying around when you're finished.

13. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Why do I collect?
    I have an imagination.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I collect because its fun, the figures are fun to pose and transform.

Though I do have one of those, 'I wish I hadnt opened this' moments with my Alt Nemesis Prime.
    That lasted as long as it took to figure out how to get the shoulders to line up correctly in Alt Mode, which was 1-3 days....:( 

15. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Because I'm sexy.

16. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

Why do I collect and I know allot of other members will agree.

"BECAUSE TRANSFORMERS ARE F'ING AWESOME"

17. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Same here, and I just have this overwhelming urge to collect things and have them neatly displayed for all to see. It used to be CDs, then DVDs, and now it's Transformers and books, although the TFs have slightly slowed my book buying down here latley... I still have so many I haven't read yet, and I don't have any TFs that I haven't transformed at least once yet so... you know.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Because kewl toys are still kewl when yer an adult.

19. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

For nostalgia mainly.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why do you collect? Because I can! (and I love Transformers).