Why do you collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GotBot, Sep 14, 2016.

1. GotBot

GotBot Titan class

I recently heard of a challenge where people were asked to explain why they collect Transformers. I hadn't really thought much about it before. But, I figured, why not tackle the topic with my ten best reasons to do so. Naturally, these are just mine, but it would be great to see why other people do it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    1. Transformers has been an intrinsic part of my life, childhood to the present.
    2. Shopping and collecting is cathartic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    in order of importance
    1.ever since i was three, i was into lego sets. i liked transformers back then too, but didn't collect. most of my life revolved around lego, but depression started to hit extremely hard in my mid to late teens, to the point that nothing excited me, movies, tv shows, lego sets....it got to the point where i started getting suicidal thoughts......then my brother showed war for cybertron. it was the first thing that sparked anything close to happiness in a long time. by the time the fall of cybertron figures came out, i was enjoying life like everyone should, and i started collecting TFs with the purchase of foc blast off.....

2. me and my brother have a problem with gaps from certain groups, ex. if he got the flash, then he'd need kid flash, retro flash, blue lantern flash and everything inbetween.....my case is more for combiner teams and wreckers....

4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Ron Swanson

News Credits:
    To impress girls.

And boy, my wife is sick of that.

• Like Like x 7
  5. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    Oh, to fill the vast emotional hole inside, of course.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaany day now.

• Like Like x 9
  6. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I have an addictive personality and a love for fiction, robots, and design.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Trailbreaker26

Trailbreaker26 Shields... SHIELDS!

Instagram:
    I collect MP versions of my favorite G1 Transformers, which were my childhood heroes. It's awesome having updated versions of those figures with robot modes that much more closely resemble the characters I saw on screen, both in appearance and movement.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Megasquared

Megasquared I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now.

News Credits:
    If my wallet has too much money it will become so powerful that may try to usurp me.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    You know for as long as I remembered I always had something I collected!

I guess Transformers is that next step in the evolution but unlike other things that I grew out of Transformers has stuck around the longest and will continue to for a long time.
    I was brought into this franchise in 2007 through the movie. As I moved on to my teen years I started to develop depression and suicidal thoughts. I didn't know where I belonged, where my life would go, etc. But still I'd come home go, start on my homework, and I'd bring up Youtube to watch an episode of G1, Victory, RID01, Armada, or Energon and I'd be at peace.

I get this wonderful and joyous feel every time I purchase a Transformer and an even bigger feeling of joy looking at all that I've amassed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Because I'm a collector and robots that turn into other stuff is pretty cool to me.

11. FeatherBat

FeatherBat Law or Lore?

Collecting is something of a relieving experience to me. It's what I've loved doing since I was a kid & I have a real knack for rare things.

Or this happens:

Wallet: "Hey, hey."
    Me: "Oh, what now?"
    Wallet: "By that Masterpiece Tracks."
    Me: "What? I'm trying to-"
    Wallet: "Oh, are you going to let dear Tracks down now? Damage his reputation? He's rare, you know. Do you want to lose this opportunity and let some kid chew on his beautiful chassis? Shame, shame on you."
    Me: "I just got his G1 toy. I'm trying to save for, you know, other things I might need to survive."
    Wallet: "But won't it be a riveting experience?"

12. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Well ive always done thpugh ive writen a list and said after this list is done ill only collect mps.

But at the end of the road of collecting one asks them self why, well for me it started with cards as prizes i got hooked then it kept going intill i completed my dragon ball z card collection, i still had some transformers from a child and decided to buy primus well i was so thoughly impressed i just kept going.

Classics, beast wars, rid, amarda, energon, cybertron, titianiums, altanators, 1st movie triliogey, prime, beast hunters and once i have a few of my missing classics i will mp only its been a long road over a 1000 transformers.

13. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

Collecting is one of my hobbies and is one of the many endeavors that make life worth living.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only real reason I have. It allows me to keep in touch with my inner child and my imagination flowing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Because consumeristic society has brainwashed me into hording cheap, useless materialistic hunks of plastic that'll eventually spend millenia in a landfill after their brief tenure crowding my flimsy shelves.

or...
    Because I like 'interactive' things as well as robots/aliens/non-humans, and Transformers are both.

• Like Like x 3
  16. atomD21

atomD21 Well-Known Member

I grew up in the eighties and loved Transformers. I had quite a few of the G1 toys back in the day and always held a love for the figures. I didn't start collecting until two years ago when I picked up a G1 Skywarp at a second hand shop and then found this site. It was all downhill from there. Now I've got a collection of probably close to 100 pieces, and am looking forward to seeing what comes down the pipe in the future!

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Personally I don't think anyone needs a reason to collect TFs. If they enjoy it, like i do, and they make sure bills and other needs, like making sure that their family has a roof over their heads, then any reason they have is a valid one. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 3
  18. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I'm HONEST about it?

1. I'm a weirdo with issues who takes great solace in my nostalgia-laden memories of the little "family" that was the Autobots, and by extension, how my Dad used to play with me and my 'bots as a lad.

2. Pure 80s and 90s nostalgia that continues to comfort me as I get older and life gets harder lol.

Those are honestly the only reasons. So much so that I've started to downsize my collection just a TAD, realizing this. Going to donate proceeds to a local charity I love. :)  They need it more than I need a probably unhealthy comfort from plastic figures lol. (Not going to stop collecting though. :p )

• Like Like x 2
  19. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

Plastic crack?

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I've been a fan since childhood and now I can get all the characters I never had as a child, but also the way I wanted them to look in first place.

• Like Like x 2