Why do you collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jourdo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Just a basic question here. What are your motivations for collectiong TF's? For the love of the toy? Profit down the road? Because the voices in your head tell you to? Just curious here.

My motivations are basically that I love the toys. I loved them when I was a kid, I love them now. My daughter seems to like playing with them too. Seems to be that one part of my childhood I don't want to let go of... again.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I collect out of love for the Cartoons since G1, and my admiration for the ingenuity of the toys and how far they've advanced to today with things like Alternators and MP figures.

3. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I like the shows, why not buy the merchandise?

4. highball22

highball22 Banned

I just love the toys. Its a guilty pleasure for me.

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I collect because of the fun- with any other action figures, you can put them in a cool pose and then...put them in another cool pose- not a lot of fun. But, with TFs, there's more. For example, I currently have 29 Alternators and BTs sitting on my kitchen table, ready to be transformed in to robots, but in cool poses, turned back into robots, then put back in their packages. I anticipate this to take most of the afternoon/ evening, and to be a thoroughly enjoyable time. With, say, Marvel Legends, I could stage a quick battle, then they're back on the shelf. Half an hour, at best. TFs offer a lot more fun for the money, instead of just looking cool.

Also, I like to marvel at the engineering. Say what you will about parts that don't always fit right, or articulation that could've been, but there's way more to these figures than just taking the same design and molding new heads and limbs, like Star Wars or G.I. Joe.

There's also the nostalgia factor, which got be back into it; as well as fond childhood memories. But, as an adult collector, I think I appreciate the toys even more than I used to.

-Tony!

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Because I can.

7. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

I loved TFs as a kid, and got back into them when my son was old enough to start pulling me round toy shops. I also love the various designs.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    It's my ANTI-DRUG!

9. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I like the toys. I am getting to a point that I dont like collecting anymore though. Its a catch 22 in my eyes. Ill keep collecting until i hate it.. then I will sell them all. I dont know.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

11. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I'm a consumer bitch and buy anything that tickles my fancy.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I buy because they are the only fond memory from my childhood and they make me happy....that is all :D 

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You and me both buddy!

14. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I loved the show when I was I child, but my parents didn't have enough money to buy me transformers.

Now that I have my income, I buy them because they make remember those days. It's like accomplishing something you couldn'y when you were a kid.

Talking about my choices, I buy them depending in the design. I don't buy anything, just what I like: posseability, Robot Mode design, Alternate Mode design, etc.

15. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i started collecting again as a form of nostalgia with my child hood. i love dteh toys and never had teh ones i wanted. when i had the funds and means to do so, i got them all. and kept going, buying anything and everything, even getting into new stuff and other lines. i recently realised it was to fill a void in my life. the nostalic intention became an obsession becasue i had nothing else better to do, and it kept me distracted frm the pittiful life i was leading.

now however, things have changed. i collect now out of nostalgic feeling again, wich has pretty much come to a stand still anyway with the purchase of my last needed grail, a browning... and have sold off quite a bit of the "dirty" toys i bought because i felt i needed them to be happy. now i have other reasons to be happy. a new horizon to head towards.

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

I like toys. As such, if there are toys for a fictional property that I like, I buy the toys. Unless the toys don't float my boat, in which case I don't buy them.

17. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I like robots and robot fiction. Transformers being about two massive robot armies fighting helped me get into it.

18. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I absolutely love Transformers fiction, whether it be cartoon or comics, and I was so into the toys when I discovered them when I was a child that it I have such fond memories of them. Things had so much more imagination involved when I was younger and now that I'm an adult there isn't so much, so Transformers bring me back to that.
    I think I'm addicted these days though. Because no matter how much money I don't have, I still go to every one of my local toy sellers looking for them and trying to find the one I want.

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Because my kids will cry if I don't buy more TFs :( 

I buy TFs out of curiousity. First I need to have one in my hand and figure out how he transforms, then I want to find out what cool poses he can pull off.
    I don't really think I'm collecting except for certain characters.

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    1. Because they're marvels of useless engineering...
    2. Because my parents never bought me any when I was a kid...
    3. Because it beats spending money on smokes/drugs/alcohol...
    4. Because it's my chosen hobby...