Why Do You Collect? Inside A Mind Of A Collector

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by xSEANxLONGx, Oct 10, 2008.

1. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    YouTube - Why Do You Collect? Getting Inside A Mind Of A Collector

Why Do You Collect?

Do you collect to play or decorate?

Do you get a new one just for something to review?

Are you collecting to complete your collection or will always add on to it?

Do you ever think you will stop collecting?

Do you collect something just since it is valuable and will sell for a lot of money one day?

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Wow, Sean that was some deep shit. The weird thing is I'm just like you are...I mean I've had the fantasy that I wanted to be a superhero or hero so that I didn't feel like a loner or loser. I have from old TMNT, Jurassic Park dinosaurs, two dragon figures from Dragonheart, Godzilla, Transformers, pro wrestling, Marvel, and some toys that are not really mainstream. So when I get the chance I play with them and put them back to collect dust.

When I get a figure is either from a review I've seen or from toy review magazines like Toyfare or Lee's Toy Review. So I see whats new and think about if I should get it or not, but for Godzilla I use Godzilla toy based websites to see what's new and well try to complete that collection. Me, stop collecting..Oh Hell No! Because I'm a perfectionist in a way that I won't stop intil I get what I'm looking and once I get it I move on to the next. Its a non-stop process. In a way I do have a couple toys that are sometimes really rare like for instance I brought Biollante, the giant plant monster without the special box that it comes in I got that for about $100 plus at a Godzilla themed store and the most expensive piece was a huge Mechagodzilla with a futuristic jet fighter, called Garuda for $300 so that came in its box and I have that ever since I play it that sometimes. Now would I sell these for money..well thats a no for me, but I bet other people would so they can either buy something cool or paid off a debt of sorts. So thats why I collect.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    Amazing Response Bro! I Love hearing what you have to say and I'm a big fan of your videos! Thanks for being a AMAZING Friend and Collector!

5. Ezilla82

Interesting stuff you said Vangelus. It kinda spark a core like I do things, but you do them in a different way. You know to be off topic you do look like my cousin, but thats just me. And also you do look kinda Chinese to me, but thats my opinion.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's some cool shit. Vangelus, always with the laughs. :lol 

7. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I collect for a few reasons. Alot of it is sentimental. I had a really happy childhood and the toys I collect remind me of that. I was also spoilt as a child when it came to toys so that kinda started me fof collecting before i even considered it a collection.
    Most of my life I've never really had friends that i connect with or have much in common with so in a way plastic figures of characters I like in TV and films have filled the gap that maybe others fill with close friends. Though being a collector in an area where no one else is is one of the reasons I dont have anything in common with them.
    I dont play with any of my Transformers anymore, I did for quite a few years into my late teens but since then I just collect them and have them as ornaments. I change my display every month or two to display different characters, which ever take my fancy that month. I always take them out of the box to transform and display, I dont see the point just leaving them in the box though i do keep all the boxes to store them in when not on display.
    I doubt I'll ever stop collecting unless i have serious financial reasons, same goes for me ever selling my collection. I have never intended to sell any unless I somehow get doubles.
    I do feel it is quite a fundamental part of who I am.

8. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Rodster6, your reasons for collecting are very similar to my own. The only difference is that my childhood was not particularly happy. I had no friends, I was bullied severely, and my family torn in 2 due to a messy divorce.

My Transformers became my friends. I would actually talk to them about problems at school, girls I liked etc. They became my world in a way. As I grew up and went to college and uni I made extrememly good friends, but my passion for Transformers never wavered. Indeed, whenever I'm sad, or depressed I whip out Soundwave and the cassettes and I'm happy again.

I'll only stop collecting once I have all the ones I want, which is gonna take me a long, long time!

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
  10. Ezilla82

You know its kinda exactly what Vangelus and myself are saying. And in a weird way converting robots into vehicles or animals is very therapeutic. So its cool to get another point of view on this matter.

11. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

toys have been a huge part of my life

I have always loved robots,science fiction,and just epic stories and characters.when i was a kid my uncle tried to get me into hot wheels,but they were just cars to me.transformers on the other hand were cars that transformed into giant robots with personality and lives who had awesome adventures.robots that feel and have souls have always got to me.(i love johnny 5)

plus,i was always into story telling(i try to write these days)and i had a lot of wierd adventures back in the day with my transformers that gave rise to inside jokes my cuzins and i still joke about to this day,like megatron drooling whenever something cool or shocking happened or optimus primals skull mug he always drank out of,or that trip to vegas were cheetor had a gambling problem and megatron and optimus primal got trhown in jail.

or the time blurr went under cover with an alien and ultra magnus and had a shoot out with space gangersters.later perceptor told him"i fear the wounds are fatal"and blurr said"hey!"because he wasnt injured that bad.

ill always collect transformers,i cant picture not doing it.

maybe it makes me feel good,i dunno.does that make me shallow?(probably)
    i guess i do have to laugh at the absurdity of it all every now and then.

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Why Do You Collect?

Voices in my head tell me to !.
    No well seriously, I think it's very basic. If you find something you can relate to and it makes sense to you and it also gives you a feel of satisfaction and joy then I think it's only natural to collect whatever qualifies to this, whether that'll be stamps, coins or TransFormers.

Mmm. Both. I play in the sense I like transforming them back and forth and give them cool poses for displaying. Decorate ? well yes in a sense. Since I can't have all figures displayed all my mib/misb's etc are decorating the room hiding the walls and floor.

I've only done that once because I was bored - biiig mistake. I'm never doing it again - so no.

Completing TransFormers ? then you might just as well trying to fit the entire universe in your back pocket - no, never, - that won't happen. I collect the stuff I like and want and which usually is quite a lot. Once I hope to complete some areas of my collection but I've given up on that due to amount of variants etc but also prices. So complete series you won't find I'm my collection.

Nope, but taking breaks doesn't hurt. You can still be a fan without collecting.

Do you collect something just since it is valuable and will sell for a lot of money one day?

No never... I collect loose, complete, incomplete, wear/tear mib, moc, mosc, misb. When I buy I plan to keep, but ofcourse you can buy something that didn't live up to your expectations and then resell it.

13. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Very cool, guys.
    It's great to see inside the minds of fellow collectors.
    Very insightful indeed.

14. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

collecting goes agaisnt most of the things i do, still i collect vintage motu like a maniac

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Because Transformers was a huge part of my childhood (Beast Wars, to be precise). I collect because every time I play with them, it's like being a kid again. And here's a good reason why I collect: it keeps me from doing drugs or alcohol. And collecting can be either a good addiction or a bad addiction. To me, I think of it as going either way.

Most of the time, I collect to decorate. Without Transformers, my room would be...well, more decorated with video games, but it wouldn't be my room without at least a couple of toys. I do play with them every once in a while, when I'm in a good mood.

Well, I barely post in the Transformers Feedback thread just to know how good the toy is or if it's a piece of crap. But you know, I really should review more toys. And TFW2005 has the place to do it in.

I ask myself that same question every day when I look at my toys. I'm lucky if I can even complete a first wave of toys (I'm happy to say that I have all the Classics 1.0 Transformers except for the Constructicons, the Optimus/Megatron Ultimate Battle Two-Pack, Ultra Magnus Vs. Skywarp, and the Legends figures). But when new molds come out, some will closely resemble another line, and I may end up adding the toys from one line into that aforementioned line instead.

Actually, yeah I do. Right now I just plan on finishing my Classics/Universe 2.0 line, Beast Wars, Alternators/Binaltech, maybe get some G1 figures, Animated, and at the very least maybe Cybertron. But if Hasbro were to cancel Transformers all together, I'd quit collecting and move on.

I hate to say it, but since I still own Generation 2 Seaspray (good condition, just having tiny metal paint chips here and there), I feel that he may eventually become a rare toy. Alternators Swerve and Decepticharge I could sell any time, knowing how much they go for on eBay.

Had it not been for Transformers, I wouldn't be here today.

16. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Why Do You Collect?

I collect because it reminds me of my childhood. I have very fond memories of friends and good times that were associated with these toys. Every time I put in a TF DVD, it reminds me of my friends getting together at each other's houses to watch them for the very first time. When I touch a toy from my old collection, it reminds me of where I was when I got it. And in my collection of Classics/Universe, I feel just like I'm a child again every time I see a new one on the shelf, and I'm so excited to get it, take it home and open it.

Also because I'm somewhat of a collector. (See G.I. Joe, MOTU, Classic TV on DVD, etc.)

A bit of both, though I don't play as much as I decorate. Even as a child though, I liked to build elaborately posed scenes for my Transformers (and other toys). Now I have a huge display, and though my bots are primarily for decoration, I still enjoy taking them down from time to time, re-posing them, Transforming them, or just looking at them.

Sadly, because of the likes of Sean Long and others beating me to it, no. I never get there in time. Seriously, though, when I buy a new one, it's for me, and it's because I really wanted it.

I'm not fool enough to think I could ever complete it. I'm sure I won't even be able to complete the Universe line. I'll just build it to whenever I want to stop, and then move on. I'll probably always add on to it here or there, but that's mostly dependent on luck or whim.

I might stop collecting, in terms of adding new figures, but I don't think I'll stop owning a collection. I may trim a few figures here and there, but I'd hope that I will still retain most of what I've got.

Nah. Tried that with baseball cards back in the day, and it never worked. I collect stuff because I like it. If it's valuable, that will be for someone (my wife or kids) to decide whether or not to sell it when I'm dead and gone.

Interesting videos, guys.

17. Grimlock King

Grimlock King GRRRrrr me hate titles

Ebay:
    Growing up poor, I told myself that one day when I get older I'd buy toys my parents could not get for me as a kid. Funny, because here I am today, doing that.

Originally, when I started to collect I kept everything MINT = mint on box / mint on card. Whatever it was/ is from toys to rookie baseball/basketball cards, even authentic jerseys. Nowadays, those mint items have been sold and kept just the "favorites", some opened and some still mint.

You that's a funny question which always gets brought up with a friend of mine. I't an "itch", right now i'm pretty much up to date with the TFA toys and I have the characters that I really love. But while I'm waiting on the upcoming waves in the mean time I'm just anxious on filling in that void before the new wave hits the stores. Does anyone get like this? So I purchase one just to keep myself busy until new ones hit. I think I have a problem here....

I'm definitely not a completist but since I have a wide range of collections there will always be something to add although with the US' recent economic situation, I really, really want to slow down on collecting.

Hopefully but it's doubtful, but to really look at it, I'll always collect something I just hope I will not OD on it.

I have done that when I purchased a 1985 Japanese Carded MOC Snake Eyes with Timber it was mint and had it for a few years and later on decided to sell it. Luckily it was before the 25th anniversary figs came out and still sold it for more than the original purchase. But as Sean put it "why buy something to look at when you can just do that at the stores for free?!" No longer will I buy an exclusive just to say I have it, it's pointless...

18. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Heh well why do I collect?... Dunno really ive just always loved Transformers from the first time I saw them in like 1995 when my brother got a copy of the 1986 movie and it blew my mind. That movie, that magical awsome movie is what started the nightmare that is my bedroom. So why do I collect Transformers... becuse.. there more than meets the eye SON

19. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i just remebered something.

did anyone else ever use depth charges discs that he shot out of his mouth as stand ins for the two golden discs from beastwars.

man those were good times.i guess collecting gives you good memories too.
    it lets you hold all those characters and theyr stories in your hands.

20. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Why Do You Collect?
    I collect Transformers and that's it. At first I only wanted Bumblee and Barricade from the movie. I love movies and I wanted these two characters to display just because I loved the movie so much. Well after I bought those two it triggered something inside. The, "man I really wanted TF's as a kid but was too poor to get any. Man I STILL really want an original Optimus Prime!" So those 2 figures within the course of a year turned into a 100+ collection ranging from Original G1 figures through to Animated. I had a collection and was officially a collector before I even realized it. It snuck up on me.

I collect them because I like puzzles very much and because I had somewhat anxious hands. I like having stuff to fiddle with and play with, take apart, etc.
    I don't play with them unless transforming them and putting them in cool poses counts as playing. In which case yes, I play with them a couple times a week.

No, I watch and read the reviews to get an idea of what upcoming figures I'd like to get and when to look for them. But I wouldn't buy a toy solely to review it. That seems a bit silly to me.

I think I'll always add on to it. At first I just wanted the movie toys. That quickly turned into the movie toys and G1 toys. Now it's the movie toys, G1, The Animated Series, and all the Classics/Universe. But lately I'm watching RiD and Beast Wars/Beast Machines and getting interested in those toys too. There's literally thousands and thousands of TF's already out there, not even counting all the new ones coming out. So I don't think I'll get sick of TF's or run out of ones to collect for a long, long time.

Nope. See previous answer.

Nope, that's what stocks are for. :D