why do we like soundwave, blaster, and the tapes so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Mar 28, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think it's safe to say that just about every transfan likes these guys. when growing up, I just loved soundwave's voice, and got the four main decep tapes. when I first found out it was possible to buy tfs on the internets back in 96, I got a mib soundwave from men in black. one of the few tf posters I have is the dreamwave soundwave and tapes one, and one of my favorite wallpapers was the one with soundwave and blaster as djs. I've since gotten all of the tapes, blaster, soundblaster, and have twincast on preorder, leaving the jap. dino tapes as the only ones I'm missing, though I just don't think I could bring myself to spend $1600 on the set, so I'll be waiting for either reissues or nice bootlegs.

we all seemed to have a collective joygasm at the appearance of soundwave on galaxy force, both the g1 cameo and the actual gf character. people are still trying to get the blue ramble for the homage, and there's been a couple of threads lately where the dino tapes have been mentioned as high on many people's "grail" list.

well, why? I can only explain my love for them any better than by saying that I really love music and these are a genre of music based tfs. I was also permanently attached to my walkman from 7th grade until senior year, so that may have something to do with it. what's your reason?

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Y'know, that's a good question. They do kick ass, but why?

They were (more so the decepticons) major show characters, and Soundwave was very distinctive as well as an officer of sorts. I think part of it they turned into things that we were not only familiar with, but could (and probably did) use every day. Kids using walkmen and tape decks in the 80s was commonplace, but not many were out driving a porche or a semi.

The storage factor is also pretty cool. Stashing the tapes in the chest like and being able to eject them just like in the show, it was a great gimmick.

It's funny you mentioned the posters, I've got the DJ battle on my wall (under the citybot battle), the DW Soundwave poster in the mail, and just watched the Blaster and Track vs Soundwave and Starscream episode last night.

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me that Cybertron Soundwave isn't out. Now I'm just sad.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I think this is the main reason. Soundwave stood out above the rest mainly because of his voice which was so different from the others, plus the fact he had a miniture army inside his chest. Until the movie no other TF had this ability. The accessability to the alt mode like you mentioned too is probably right on as well.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I like Soundwave cause hes smart , and slick and his bot mode is one of the coolest they have made and the voice fits prefectly.The tapes are cool and all that but I never got that attached to them like some are here. I still hold my favorits the Combatacons for my love of army vechiel and that theCombatacons kick so much arse ;) 

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I dont know why I like him so much, but I do. hes the bears nuts.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I know I'm great but you really didn’t have to go to all this *bows* :cool: 

Kidding aside, I don’t know what it is about these guys but I just love em. Soundwave was always my favorite TF character in the show and my favorite toy as a whole. For me it was more too the fact that he was so withdrawn and mysterious which made him a very cool. Not to mention his toy was one of the more interesting moulds in the line. While most TF's were planes and cars Soundwave (and Blaster) were so unique, and the whole tape deck thing and being espionage characters was always a cool concept to me. Not to mention the whole cassette gimmick on top of all this what’s not to like? I still think the cassette gimmick is probably the best TF gimmick they ever came up with (although I like the whole Star Saber Brainmaster gimmick from Victory) and is still the best.

But ya Soundwave and Blaster are just awesome :lol 

8. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Because they breakdance.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

For me, it's because they're the coolest concept in TFs. One TF capable of launching its own little army, in Soundwave's case. Plus, the toys are really cool and the tapes are incredibly well designed.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think the nails been pretty much hit on the head.

There's the voice and the attitudes, these clearly weren't just the rank and file, but unique to their factions, mostly unreplacable. Soundwave was such an effective character, giving the tapes the missions, playing back information, manipulating, and protecting the boss.

Then there's the fact that unlike the rest, they had an army of their own, a great gimmick that never really got to be used. (I think in some ways, they were hoping Minicons would be like the tapes.) They were their own subgroup, and had an obviously closer knit relationship than the other 'cons or 'bots. Much like I think a large part of the affection for Predaking is his size and uniformity, the same could be said of the Cassetticons.

There's also the fact that you could take them with you, and you didn't seem like such a little kid. You had a walkman, a tape player, and some tapes. Not a bunch of toys.

There's also the fast but effective Transformation for all of them. Soundwave and Blaster are well articulated, especially for G1 figures, among the most articulated of the entire line. They had a working gimmick, and their army were just as fast and easy to transform. They were also self-contained, in that you didn't need to remember a characters fists, or other vital parts, they were all there with the figure.

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I loved Soundwave and Blaster as well, but that's not really the reason anymore.

As a Microfan, I just think it's one of the most clever concepts Takara came up with for the line.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

I actually don't like Blaster that much. Soundwave, on the other hand, it was the design for him coupled with having such a cool toy that made him a favorite of mine. He was the first TF I bought when I started picking up G1 TFs again; strangely enough, I also bought him from a dealer named "Men in Black" (although I doubt it was the same one...) around 97; I was pissed because the head was broken off when I got it out of the box.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They're like pregnant robots. and thats funny. funny = cool.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'd almost guarantee it was the same one; funny that it was the same timeframe. they were from the midwest and helped put on one of the first botcons, or maybe they called it something different, I can't remember. they also started to get a bad rep, so I wouldn't be surprised that they sold you one with a broken head.

15. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Has anyone seen that cool dancing Soundwave video? :p 

I liked him because he was loyal and the toy was great because most of the parts were self-contained.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Whats this video everyone keeps talking about, everybody talks about it but no one has ever acually posted a link or anything to it its amazing :huh :cool: 

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said! Besides, who won't love robots that have "little robots" coming outta them?! :D 

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved Soundwave as a kid. Probably for all the reasons stated here. I got one when I was about 6, and his tape door broke on the first day. So I took him back to the store and never got another one. Bloody hell, one day I will get Soundwave again.

19. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Simply put, thinking of Soundwave reminds me of the greates childhood years ever.

The sheer awesomeness of seeing the Soundwave TV ad for the fisrt time and actually getting him as a gift from my sister.

He's not only one of the coolest TF characters ever, but he reeks nostalgia.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Back then it was his voice mainly, the way he talked in digital synthesis was too cool, and still is just as cool.
    The other cool was to see cassettes kick ass instead of just collecting dust next to our stereo's. Just they way he gave the eject commands was cool.
    Plus he was hardly defeated, yet he was always present if the thickest of battles.
    His loyalty was also great, the cons knew better to try and get soundwave to turn.
    When his leader is taken out, then everyone else is inferior.

Blaster felt more like an excuse to try and make the bots as cool as the cons, but it did'nt work. Knowing he's packing a Rumble,Frenzy, LB,Buzzsaw, Ravage ,Ratbat and more , no other TF had such cool live artillery.

Plus his head kinda resembled the Decepticon badge in a way too me he was like Mr Decepticon man.