Why do we call it "CHUG"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shockblast2, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

I assume that stands for "Classics, Hunt for the Decepticons, Universe, and Generations"? If so, this acronym is silly. Because with one exception, the HFTD line was not classics. Every figure released in all four subsections (VOY, DLX, SCT, LGD) was a paint from ROTF, with few exceptions. And of those exceptions some were used as movie universe tie-ins. You have the following new molds in HTFD

SCT Breacher
    SCT Hubcap
    SCT Brimstone

DLX Tomahawk
    DLX Terradive
    DLX Hailstorm

VOY Seaspray
    VOY Highbrow

Now, lets do some elimination. Terradive is disqualified because of Space Case's association with DOTM and the fact that he looks like a movie mold.
    Tomahawk, the same because of his SE Repaint. That leaves only Hailstorm. Now, he might pass, but the only reason I eliminate him is because of Mindset and the fact that he is an autobot and his mold brother Hailstorm is a decepticon. How can you have two characters share the same mold from different factions. The only exception in G1 I can think of is Soundwave and Blaster. But, they are the only exception in my mind.
    Highbrow has noone sharing his mold at the moment, but he looks just too movie mold for my taste. But, this reasoning could be applied to Breacher as well. Breacher has less of a movie mold look, but his classics banner could be more enforced if this failed mold brother in the RTS line would have been realized. Brimstone is in the same boat. The only clear choice is Seaspray, because of Deep Dive's association in RTS and the fact that looks about 75% classics, plus it makes more sense for him to be a voyager than a legends vehicle. As a matter of fact my calssics collection is void of all legends class as they are way too small and look stupid with the DLX and VOY class. But, I have a classification issue because Breacher is Seasprays partner, so if I include him I have to include all the above. ARGGGG.......

Let me know what you think. How do you classify the above figures and their mold counterparts? Just be aware I do not find it acceptable to classify molds across lines. For example. I do not see SCT Crankstart as classics, because he is a ROTF mold. If you disagree, then why can't ROTF Brawn be a classic since Outback is considered one since he is in RTS. Please let me know, this is driving me nuts!!! :) 

If the H is Henkei that makes sense. But, please try to solve my classification dilemma. It is bothering me and I can't come to a resolve. I figured I would resolve by mass opinion instead! :) 

Also, as a bonus question do you consider PCC to be Classics or Bayformer? I see them as classics, but maybe only because then we have a Scout size Huffer to join Windcharger. Opinions?

2. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    The 'H' stands for Henkei. Not that I like the acronym myself, it's silly.

3. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    CHUGRU

Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations, Reveal, United

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Classics, Henkei, Universe (sometimes United), Generations.
    Also known as Chugurts. (Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations, United, RTS.)
    There weren't any classics figures in HFTD. There were hybrids, and whether or not those can fit in a classics collection is up to opinion. None of them can be "disqualified". And none of them can be "Qualified". It's a matter of opinion, and anyone who say's otherwise is just being a bigot.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Just call it Classics

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The only time I hear it called CHUG these day is in threads asking why we call it CHUG.

What I see a lot of not is Classics or Generations. I personally call it Classicverse.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    people on here will debate tirelessly whether molds like bludgeon, mindwipe, seaspray, etc are classics or not. there's no answer and it's a rather pointless argument.

if you want them with your classics, put them on that shelf. if not, don't. it's all up to you. just don't tell me what to do with mine :) 

8. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

Opinion is what I want. Not someone to claim to know the facts cause they are none in HFTD. Give me what you think on each and if they are part of the classics line.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Henkei.

CHURGURTS is cool but I prefer CHUG. I don't get a negative vibe from it. Classics is confusing since it's unclear if people are talking about Classics 1.0. Classicverse is good but too many syllables in my head.

10. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

I want to know what you think personally. But, anyone with a mold in the movieverse is eliminated just by association. Let me know what you think of the above figures specifically.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's a dated acronym.

Honestly, it's partly Hasbro's fault for constantly renaming their Neo-G1 lines.

I would've been fine putting everything under the Classics banner and calling it a day, but I'm fairly certain there's a reason as to why it's gone from Classics...to Universe 2.0...to Generations/Reveal the Shield. I'm sure that the constant rebranding is somewhat vital to the line(s).

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    How is Classics confusing? It's not like we got multiple versions of the same characters in the line. If someone says Classics Scouge I know it is Generations but I also know it is part of the Classics line.

Honestly there is not one figure in the whole Classics, Universe, RTS, Generations lines that you can list as a Classics and people will be confused. In fact adding Classics and Henkie in the same name is the confusing thing because they are the same figures with different paint apps made by two different companies.

13. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why? because we are all alcoholics!!

14. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I'm talking about Classics 1.0 as a whole. But I don't like using Classics 1.0 so I just call it Classics. When I say I prefer the Classics molds I mean the originals because they were blockier but fun to transform back and forth. Some of the newer molds we've been getting are are fidgety. Also, I got used to using Classics to just refer to the first line when it came out and I'm an old dog and can't learn a new trick. It's my opinion and preference, yes?

15. EShadowP

EShadowP Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who you callin' "We", Kemosabe?

16. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Shortcut to thinking?

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Why do we call it "CHUG?"

We don't. End of.