Why do Universe Ironhide and Ratchet go for so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dinobot747, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Why do Universe Ironhide and Ratchet go for so much? I've always heard they really weren't the best molds (which is understating it), so why are they going for $40+ shipped on eBay? Were they shortpacked? Or perhaps it's simply because they're the most recent molds of the G1 characters?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen Universe Ironhide for around $30 a few times. But Universe Ratchet is expensive because he was the last of the wave, thus being kind of rare. (The last wave of most toylines usually have crappy distribution)

3. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's just because pretty much all Classics figures of G1 characters go for a lot. I do agree that they're not very good molds, and not worth the amount they're selling for. I got my Ironhide for about $10 from Craigslist, but I haven't been able to find a Ratchet for a reasonable price, so I've decided to use Prime Ironhide and Ratchet in my collection instead, since they look like much better figures anyway.

4. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I see the Prime versions of a lot of characters replacing the Classics versions on my shelf. Prime figures blend in really well with Classics too.

5. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Someone once suggested they didn't really start to go up until the Henkei versions got a little pricey?

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    really? Man I hated that mold, so much prefer my Botcon 2005 figures.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Classics in general more than double their value on the secondary market. Ratchet more so because he was a line tail-ender and thus the stores only had one of him each at maximum. I literally bought the only one I have ever seen in person.

8. wildfly

News Credits:
    A quick completed items search on eBay threw up a funny mix of results, some MOC Ironhides for 40, but loose ones for 45

Henkei verison is throwing up some rather inconsistent results too.

So i'm gonna put a large chunk of this down to the G1 effect....Nostalgia randomly causing people to bid with their heart, nor their head.

9. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I don't know why those toys are going for so much. They're not perfect. I remember Crazy Jetty saying he liked the BotCon Ironhide more than the Universe one on the TFCC forums.

10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    A lot of toys are not perfect yet go for crazy aftermarket prices.

For me, they look better than their botcon counterparts, cost from less [Ironhide] to considerably less [Ratchet], are not the best moulds but are better than those botcons and for years now are the definitive updated G1 versions.

Plus, Ratchet got a very crappy distribution thing back then...

11. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, what I really love about the Prime styling is how the figures should look decent with Classics figures, and (some of them, like Soundwave) with Movie figures as well.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Makes me glad I managed to snag my Universe 2.0 Ratchet at a Krogers some time ago. Not the greatest figure ever but it does the job well enough in my opinion.

13. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find that interesting because here in the Northeast (New Hampshire specifically) he was a shelf warmer. I remember my friend bought us both one at the same time. I think the distribution may have been crappy in certain parts of the country.

14. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

I've only seen both (at retail) once, and bought em. I still have Ratchet in the box. I'm considering on buying a Prime Ratchet, and swapping heads somehow. Does this seem feasible?

15. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I wonder the same thing re: the prices on Ratchet and Ironhide. I never saw these guys at retail, and I got them both from a Board member last year, paid about 40 for each if I remember right. I love the characters, but was disappointed in the molds. Not the best toys, and definitely not worth the higher secondary market prices. The newer molds, Wreck Gar, Tracks, Warpath, etc. are much better.

One other note on Ironhide/Ratchet, I think these molds are more "valuable" because these two characters have still never had an animated-accurate release. The original G1 toys were very different from their animated versions. These classics versions were the closest we've had, and I think this has contributed to their value building up.

On a side note, the new IGear versions that will come out soon look promising as well.

16. dsprks75

dsprks75 Robot Enthusiast

News Credits:
    This... I was also guilty of looking for these guys a little too late in the game... Where Classics Hasbro Ironhide and Ratchet aren't the best mold or paint job... I suspect the fandom at large would rather pay like $30-$40 for an "okay" Hasbro representation rather than a $95-$110 Henkei one... So basically we're all fighting over the cheaper ones which aint so cheap anymore...

17. wildfly

News Credits:
    I already have most of them... but since the movie franchise is in a lull, i kinda think it's a good opportunity to re-release a fair chunk of those Henkei toys.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Actually a MOSC Ratchet goes for 55-60 and a loose goes for 40-50.

Ironhide prices are all over the map. I could make no sense of them.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I have both and honestly just don't like them at all.

I'm not selling them yet unless I can get the Botcon versions who are just as hard if not harder to get.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The price got jacked because these guys in particular (along with Inferno) were very rare by comparison to other Universe figures. Many, many, many of us never even saw them at stores at all, let alone had a chance to skip them.

I'm still trying to get the Henkei versions myself. Found them a few months ago through a forum seller, but he decided to refund me the money he originally asked and that I paid ($35 each) so he could re-list them for $80 each instead. Pretty douchebag move.