Why do u LIKE the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Star Cracker, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

kind of in the same vane as the "Why do u HATE the movie?" thread, I'm curious as to just why people like the movie.

And what I mean is more specifically: what were your initial expectations for the movie and have they been satisfied from what we've seen so far? Did/do you have high standards for the work being done and if so what was/is the criteria that you had/have?

I, for one have been satisfied with the choices for both Cullen as Prime and (rumored) Welker as Megatron. My original criteria was that in order to help capture those characters, they must sound like them.

--In this case, Cullen as Prime was obvious. Why? Because there has been a basic consistency of how Optimus Prime sounds and even Chalk or Kaplan had gotten it, it would still be Prime. However, seeing how Cullen set the trend for how he should sound, casting the original VA was for me and many fans, the perfect choice.

--Now with Megatron it's a bit different because rather than continue the tradition of Welker's gravelly voice acting rendition, David Kaye decided to go a different route, that of a refined and brilliant persona with a bit of arrogance. With Welker's Megatron, I always had that intuitively evil, sinister, and cold death-like voice and thus felt he was ideal for the role. The other VA for RID (can't remember the name) didn't really give Megatron as memorable a voice as the former Megatrons, so he wouldn't do. In the end, I really do believe that it is a matter of personal preference, but deep down I felt that Cullen and Welker have a better repore with each other than anyone else and as much as I like Kaye, it would've seemed "off".

--As for other characters, the only major standards I would hold for is that Starscream should sound like Starscream meaning, a high-pitched raspy and truly venomous voice reflecting his personality. Just as all Optimus Primes have been built around Cullen's Prime as the standard, Armada, Energon, and Cybertron Starscream have all used Latta's Starscream as a template (some changes are there, but hey, Latta's Screamer is a bit hard to do).

--While I think it would be cool for Ironhide and Bumblebee to sound like their G1 counterparts, I don't think it's absolutely crucial (though Ironhide would be nice since Cullen was his VA as well).

--For everyone else, I don't think they ever had as much distinctiveness to their voices to really stand out or seemed fairly easy to replicate (seriously, how hard would it be to do Vortex or Brawl's voice?)

Now, let's talk about alternate modes.

--Optimus Prime: Thank God that they kept him as a tractor trailer. With the exception of the Beast Era, Prime has been a truck of some kind and I think that they did well in terms of the model. Ironically, the truck Prime's based off of was the kind of mode he would've received in a sequel film as an upgrade to the traditional semi-flatnose Freightliner. However, all in all a good second choice.

--Ratchet: Call me crazy but I do like the humvee alternate mode. I guess I wasn't too picky on what Ratchet was as long as he remained as an emergency medical vehicle, and if anything, this mode suits his role perfectly in terms of being a combat medic. This was better than the rumored fire engine alt. mode.

--Starscream: The logical evolution of the F-15 alternate mode was of course the F-22 (which incidentally is the F-15's successor in reality). Again, while I prefer the classic F-15 Eagle that Screamer transformed into, I can accept this change as it's not as off the wall like some of the other decisions. I am interested to see how/if they incorporate the classic color scheme.

--Vortex: Okay, okay, he's now Blackout due to copyright/trademark issues but they got his mode right, and hell, it's even by the same manufacturer, Sikorsky Aircraft! An update over his orignal Seahawk configuration MH-53 was an excellent choice even sporting his original color scheme in vehicle mode.

--Brawl: Okay, this guy's got to be the biggest nod to G1 fans out there with his double guns right on top of the main turret and all. So he's not a Leopard 1 of the ADK series, he still retains much of his original form.

So, that pretty much wraps up what I like about the Transformers Movie. I'd guess my criteria was pretty much how well they matched up with what the standard for past incarnations of said characters were (along with a little creative flair in updates), so while, being conservative there were some changes that I feel are acceptable and make sense.

How's everyone else feel? :) 

2. crapatron

crapatron Member

I can't wait for the movie 'cause it just looks smooth and cool! From what I've seen, I love it all! I even can't wait for those little 3 inch "legends" size toys to play on my work desk with!
    I'm not picky by any means, which apparently helps me out, since so many people have been complaining about the movie.
    There are great choices being made for this film, being live action and all. I think if they made the bots look exactly like the old cartoons they would look pretty silly.
    I'm perfectly fine with change, since the transformers have gone through so many in the past. I'll love this incarnation of the formers just as much as all the rest.
    Peter Cullin rocks as OP! Also can't wait to see what Ironhide looks like in bot mode, think the new big bad ass pickup truck fits his personallity perfectly. I agree with your view on Ratchet, I really like the new direction all the bots are getting!
    Megatron looks so sick! He'll definetly tear up some bots but good. I'd love to here him scream, "DIE AUTOBOTS" ala animated movie, and " LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!" His movie design just screams kill!
    Also hope Starscream and Megs have there usual leader of the cons debacle.

I just like this movie so much I want a sequel already, with Devastator, Dinobots, Insecticons, and maybe even a third movie, with, dare I say UNICRON!!!

"ROCK ON N' ROLL OUT"

3. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Because they've brought Transformers back to what its supposed to be: Giant, Alien, Sentient, Transforming Robots, in a war between Good and Evil. They've nailed every one of those, and as far as I'm concerned, it's everything I've wanted.

Ok, not Everything. Megatron isn't quite the kind of Megatron I like (I prefer decorated and imposing over plain) and Starscream is a big shock, and I'm not completly sold on some of the story concepts floating about.

But then again, Bay is a perfect director for this kind of film (Big, Loud and Fun action) the designs look for the most part fantastic, the mood set by the trailers is perfect, and I'm not disgusted by any of the casting choices made so far.

So, I'm pretty sure this is going to rock.

4. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I like the designs.
    I like what i've seen in the trailer and teaser.
    I like that they're going with something new.

So far, I haven't seen/heard anything that I don't like about it.

5. matadormi5

matadormi5 Well-Known Member

I like that they say it's going to be a "what would it be like if Transformers waged their war on earth today" and I've always wanted to see something like that.

The designs were outrageous, in a really good way. They're not making a copy of G1 or any other Transformer series. The alt modes along with the robot modes look like they're armed and ready to kick serious ass.

Live Action!!!! need I explain this one.

6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I was about to say "I can't truly like it or dislike it because I have yet to see it", but then I read your first post. I still prefer to remain neutral, though. I shall not judge until I can see it for myself on opening day. Then, let the bitching or praising begin!

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, why I look forward to this is.....

- It feels like it was Bay's destiny to direct a Transformers movie. Or, it was Transformer's destiny to have a movie be directed by Bay.

- It was Steven Speilburg's decision to hire Bay as director

- I like at how the situation seems more "adult", I have a bad (it's actually good) feeling that people are going to die.

- Earth and it's people are going to be involved and take their place in this conflict.

- All the Transformers look weird in a cool way! These are alien robots afterall why should they look boxy and "mecha".

- Megatron looks like a monster and is a walking peice of terror. Perfect for the most evil robot around. Best way I can describe him is that he a mesh of metallic torns weilded together to form a body.

- If it's not very "kiddish" I bet my dad would like to go see the movie as well. We both like to watch action movies.

- I always like to see the attempt to add new things to an old element. Change is good.

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Very good question which I must admit is difficult to answer.

Reason #1 - I'm not that rigid in regards to Transformers, I don't hold 1 series above the other. As they all bring something new and different to the table. I never knew what G1 was because well honestly back then it wasn't G1. It was just Transformers. And when Beast Wars premiered, I had a fairly strong recollection thanks to my interest in 80's camp. So I had no problem accepting Beast Wars and Beast Machines on it's own benefits. So by that same accord I extend that same courtesy to the 2007 movie.

Reason #2 - I'm not a prejudice person a.k.a. I don't judge negatively. So if I don't like the movie then I don't like it, but AT LEAST I gave it a fair chance. After all if I expect others to give me a chance. I have to extend that same courtesy as it's only fair

Reason #3 - I never assumed it would be anything like G1 or "Traditional Transformers" so although some looks ie Starscream and Megatron are a shock. I got over it easily. All I expected from this movie is for it to be a Sci-fi action flick. Yes the other shows show that TFs get have characterization like the comics did. But since this movie's only 100 something minutes, it's hard to get the same characterization like in a multi episode series. 1 prime example is the Escaflowne OVA, compared to the series it's not on par. Why? Because it's only a 90 something minute movie.

See I'm the type of person that if I don't like something, I cease paying attention. It's why whenever a new scan of the Kiss Players comic is released or a topic arises about the nature of Kiss. I just avoid posting, I might read it but I won't comment because I don't like it. I'm just not the type to spew vitirol over this movie. And even if I wasn't interested, I would still be able to see the good and the bad in it.

9. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I like what i have seen so far because its mostly bold and refreshing all around it is quite "Ultimate".

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:

It's spelled "YOU"!!!! :mad 

*cough*

I like the looks of all the visuals. The robots haven't disappointed me very much, and have impressed me even! Paying to see them move about, transform, and blow shit up on a big screen.

PS: So the former versions of these threads had the maddening "DISappreciation", and now both of these damn things have "u". You're all mean.

PPS: Masochist, so extra points to whoever decides to finish the trifecta and make the "Why do u feel neutral or indifferent about the movie?" thread.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Because I like seeing transforming robots and shit blowing up.

12. Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis Well-Known Member

i really like what i've seen so far...

13. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

I totally agree with this.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't like the movie. I havent seen it yet.

I like the things I've seen/read so far involving the movie.

I won't know if I like it until July 4th.

15. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

^^^I would like* to see Megan Fox do something similar to your sig in the movie.

*Like? I meant LOVE.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I too am a big fan of the robot designs. I love how each faction has it's own completely distinct look and style. I love the Decepticons looking like soulless monsters, because that's what they are.

17. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Megatron isn't Soulless.
    He just eats them.... :ev: 

18. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

Giant robots tearing shit apart with people running around screaming. What's not to love?

It's Transformers! 'Nuff said. :D 

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
  20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, for fuck's sake. You can say that about ANY thread in this forum. All that EVER happens is:
    -Someone states an opinion/gives a little bit of news
    -Someone likes it, and gets flamed
    -Someone else hates it, and gets flamed
    -Thread gets closed
    -Someone starts a new one

And so on. So, bearing that in mind, and bearing in mind that we all know it, why on Earth did you even bother posting that even once, let alone twice?