Why do u hate the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Well, why do YOU hate the movie? movie designs? Michael Bay?

I'm pro-movie so i can't understand the hatred that much, so ...... elaborate!

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm pro movie, too, and I dont get it either... how can you have outrage and hate for something you haven't even seen yet? That's like McDonalds saying "We're making a new burger. Here's a picture. You cant see what's on it or in it and we cant tell you." and having McDonalds eaters saying "It tastes terrible! I hate it!" 7 months before it's on sale, without having eaten one yet... If you honestly dont like the movie after seeing it in the theater, you have every right to say anything about it, but until then you're judging something you cant possibly judge...

3. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I don't hate it...haven't even seen it. I'll admit that I'd like to see some less spikey/insect looking TFs in there. If the trailers are any indication of the energy and animation in the final product, I'm pretty sure I'll dig it, if for nothing more than the effects alone. I'm looking forward to it.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I started out as a "hater", now I'm more indifferent and "wait and see", since I figured I was going to see the film anyway, so I might as well try not to let me convince myself I'm going to hate it before I get a chance to make that determination based on actual observation.

Anyway, my view on the "hater" mindset is two parts. First, there's the 'typical Hollywood' thing of taking a propertry and changing it. Some of it is necessary for the sake of storytelling, credibility, and appealing to as broad an audience as possible. Some of it is arbitrary, for the sake of a writer, designer, director, or whoever putting their personal stamp on the project and justifying their salary. Either way, there are many radical changes, in both a visual and a narrative sense, to what could be called "G1-standard", and take Transformers in directions that several fans feel is not a GOOD direction.

This sense of frustration is probably compounded by the fact that a live-action, effects-filled Transformers movie is something a lot of fans would like to see, but also understand there's probably only one chance at it. It's not like a TV cartoon, where if you don't like it, there's probably going to be another different one coming in a year or two. If one doesn't like the live-action movie, it's a good bet there's not going to be one they DO like coming in another five or ten years, or even ever. That sense of a blown opportunity has gotta be frustrating.

I'm not here to express opinion, but to try to give a tiny insight into a mindset, speaking as someone whose wandered around a bit on both sides of the fence in this issue.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Good posts, fschuler & Feralstorm. Well said.

I know I have many negative opinions about the updated alien bugbot designs, the overall plot, the lack of any real movie star in it, Michael Bay's attitude towards the fandom as a whole, etc., but I'm still actually quite indifferent to the movie itself. I know I'm going to see it when it opens, I know I'm going to see some very cool things, I know I'm going to enjoy at least a few parts and I'm sure there will even be many moments where I'm on the edge of my seat or whatever. Not unlike any summer action movie, especially one from Bay.

That said, seeing what we have thus far (which is a lot), I don't think it's entirely unfair for certain fans to know they'll hate it without seeing it. The designs are awful in a lot of people's opinion, and that is very much a paramount aspect of what will attract or detract people from giving it a chance - which is a very normal reaction to TF's ever since they began. I don't think certain fans' premature negative judgement is any more invalid than that of overly positive fans saying it's going to be the best movie ever... who also haven't seen it yet. Yeah it's Transformers, and yeah we're going to see "real life" Transformers doing their thing on the big screen, but that doesn't mean fans have to collectively accept it at face value just *because* it's been done. More to the point, just because many people might not like the movie for a variety of reasons, it doesn't necessarily make them G1 purists or "not true fans".

Personally, and I absolutely could be wroing, I think this movie is going to be very similar to Star Wars Episode 1 in terms of people's immediate reactions vs their long term reactions. Some people might like to deny it now, but when that movie came out, we all loved it and talked about it for weeks. The pod racing, the lightsaber fights, all the CGI effects, etc. But after seeing it a few more times and with some time passing to really process it, the negatives started to outweigh the positives, ultimately making it (ironically) one of the 'worst' #1 multimillion dollar quasi successful blockbuster's of all time. I can see the same happening with Transformers. Everyone will be caught up with the live action transformations, hearing Cullen (and hopefully Welker) doing voices for the live action versions, great action sequences, great use of CGI, etc. But after a few months pass and Bay/Spielberg/Paramount/Dreamworks are done counting how much money they made, all the bad things will slowly come to surface... whatever they may end up being. I predict a LOT of "they could have done this differently", "they should have done that instead", "if only they did this..." kind of comments to bubble up everywhere.

Either way, I'll see it first before passing final judgement. I may not be walking in with the most positive attitude towards it, but believe me, I *want* to like it and will give it as much of an open minded chance as I can. But at the same time, I will have no problem whatsoever expressing my disgust of the designs as they continue to leak out. If some people can fawn over them, other people are just as entitled to slag them. Fair's fair on the interweb, and at the end of the day, it's just personal opinion anyway - not fact.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm Pro-movie.. Nothing has really made me cringe at all. All sounds good so far. I like the alien designs to the bots.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm pretty indifferent at this point. my two big issues though are that it looks more like an "aliens invade earth movie" than one that's really going to focus on the transformers backstory, and the robot designs. I really, really, hate the insectoid look of a lot of them.

8. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Hasn't this already been done to death?

I'm not "anti movie" per say, but I have absolutely no interest in seeing it right now. I just don't like anything Michael Bay has directed. I'm not a huge fan of over-the-top action movies or overblown special effects. Solid storytelling and identifiable characters will always be more important to me than CGI effects and explosions. For this reason alone, I have absolutely no interest in this movie.

The fact that I dislike the designs is simply icing on the cake. It only makes skipping the film that much easier for me. If I was utterly in love with the designs, I might have forced myself to see this one, but right now I find that I've lost interest alltogether. To me, this is just another ho-hum special-effects-laiden film ala the Fantastic Four. An easy pass.

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not really anti this movie as such, but I'm not a fan of big budget hollywood movies in general. They're just far too predictable for my tastes, plots tend to be lightweight especially in action oriented films, where the focus is on visual effects. Furthermore since this is a Michael Bay movie there is nothing to suggest to me that this will be more unusual, based on his previous 'efforts'.

I'm not that bothered about the designs, they're not G1 but Beast Wars wasn't either, but they could've done without using the same old names again.

So I'm not really a hater, I'm just biased against the film based on previous films of this genre and the previous films of the director.

10. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

I don't really hate the movie but bad points were there weren't enough season 1 and 2 combiners and the length was a little short. Also the autobots died too quickly on the shuttle.

Oh, wait this is about the Michael Bay movie. It will never be the Transformers movie just a Transformers movie. I am indifferent about it until I see it in action.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I hate it because it caused yet another irritating round of pointless fan bickering and whining that we've all had to put up with :p 

My reason is better than anybody's.

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I was hating the movie, but at this point I'm more indifferent, bordering on liking the preview.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    This is about the most rational answer that a non-supported has ever given, IMO.

And althout I support and like the movie, this was the reason I was a little concerned when I first heard that they were making a movie.

14. DoctorJoe

DoctorJoe who?

per se

I for one seem to be in the group that will see the movie and form a respectable and at that point at least debatable opinion about the merits of the completed movie

15. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Are you serious?

Did you quote me just to correct my poor grammar and spelling or are you implying that my poor grammar indicates a lack of intelligence and an inability to construct an informed opinion? Honestly, I find this quite insulting.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm leaning towards liking it, but still taking a "wait and see" attitude. Stuff I've seen that I like include the TF designs, lack of a major Hollywood lead star (lest this become "[Famous Actor] in The Transformers"...the TFs should be the star), a few early bits of the plot and a few of the toys. But some of the plot seems a little iffy, I don't like the choice of Cullen for Optimus Prime and I'm definitely worried the plot will end up being a little predictable (like most high action summer blockbusters). My final judgment will wait until after I watch the movie. If it's good, I'll praise it. If it's bad, I'll be one of the first to flame it to hell.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I was against the movie before they even announced a director or showed us the stupid designs. Those things just kind of solidified it. But anyway, I'm against it because, well, as far as I'm concerned, Transformers only works as a comic. The G1 cartoon is fun, but it's fun because it's goofy and crappy. The Unicron Trilogy is just abysmally bad. Beast Wars is very good, but it's the exception, not the rule. But as a comic, Transformers has always been fascinating. The problem here is that, in my opinion, Hollywood can't make comic book movies to save their lives.

Yes, I realize people here really like Spiderman, but I thought it was pretty awful. Furthermore, even if Spiderman was still good, you've still got crap like Daredevil and Fantastic Four to account for. I remember it was announced early on that one of the people writing the movie wrote Catwoman. It's hard to be optimistic at that point. A lot of comic book movies get critical acclaim while people seem to think video game movies are terrible. Honestly, I think comic book movies are EVEN WORSE than video game movies. Therefore, you can imagine why I would not be excited about a Transformers live action film.

Furthermore, even as far as comic books go, Transformers is pretty intricate and geek-sclusive. The origin story, the anatomy, the huge roster of characters and planets, it's all a little bit much for a non-geek to take in in one sitting, much less care about. I have a hard time seeing Hollywood get something like that right, cos they dont do intricacy well. It seems to me that if they tried to cram it all into one movie, they'd get it disastrously wrong. And if they left it out, they'd just miss the point entirely. Maybe I'm too hard to please, but so be it. It seems to me that the only way to make a really good Transformer story would be to base it on Cybertron, something like Stormbringer but with better pacing. But Hollywood doesn't want to do that, they want to include humans. If you made it all-Transformers, it would just be another CGI movie.

And a lot of people argue, well who cares if the writing's bad, haven't you waited 20 years to see your favorite characters in something that looks like real life? Well, not really. I care about the toys more than anything else, and in that capacity, I waited 20 years for bigger, more articulate versions of G1. I got that with Alternators. So I'm satisfied with my "Transformers life goals." Even if I did want to see the Transformers in realistic form, the fact is that the Bayformers don't look like Transformers to me, so I wouldn't be getting what I waited for anyway. I'd be getting something that looks like the Terminator, but larger and more alien. I already saw the Terminator in realistic form, so I can't say I'm excited to see it again.

And lastly, of course, Michael Bay is just a lame director. If you want an action flick with no substance at all, just booms, then sure, he's the guy to go to. So if you want to see giant robots fighting and exploding, I suppose he'll deliver it. But I like my Transformers to actually have stories to go with their fighting and exploding. I also like them to not look like the Terminator. So I really see nothing to be excited about here. I'll probably still watch it, just to see if I can be proven wrong, but until I am, I'll stand firm in that it's going to be another mediocre sci-fi flick, not "the flick I've been waiting 20 years for."

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm loving the movie so far, but I'm going to save my final decision for when I go to the theatres and see it. Then I can make an accurate opinion on how good or how bad it is. There is really only one thing that I don't like so far, and that is the toy version of Starscream. I do love his jet mode, but his bot mode just looks like a robotic mutated chicken of some sort. Peace out.

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am reserving my oppinion until I see it in theaters. Fandoms just need things to be divided over, otherwise it would turn into some stale fuzzy world or something.

I don't think the movie will be bad, I don't think it will be good, I just know I will be seeing it and forming my oppinion then.

20. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I don't hate the movie. The movie hasn't been released yet. What I dislike is nearly everything about the movie that I've seen up to this point. I think the designs are downright hideous, uninteresting asthetically, and take all sots of logic leaps to explain how police car turns into spikey robot-mace of doom. I think the cast is full of second rate stars with a few good character actors thrown in for creibility. From the script that many of us have read, the plot is a mish mash of other bad cartoon - to -movie adaptations that we were subjected to in the eighties (seriously, the plot is nearly identical to that of the Lundgren he-man movie, right down to the cosmic key - err - Energon cube). The dialogue is hackneyed and formulaic, in my opinion.

Then there's Michael Bay. here's a director with a track record of making bad, bad action movies that include almost no substance, just lots of explosions and elaborate chase scenes. While I agree that pretty violence needs to be a part of a transformers movie, Batman begins, X1 and 2, and the spiderman films have shown us that a good, intelligent story with tight dialogue in the hands of competent actors is also a necessity. Thus far, I haven't seen any of that in the script I've read (yes, it's old. However, the trailer, and the little electronic bots are proving that some of the worst elements of the script are going to be in the final product). Add to that Michael bay's penchant for making crap movies, and I feel completely justified in having massive reservations about this film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.