Why do Transformers have Noses and speak Human Language?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fortress_Wise, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Fortress_Wise

Fortress_Wise Head of Dalyst

It Occured to me today, that 7 metre tall Fighting Robots that Run on Energon, don't actually need noses, because seeing how we need them for our Respiratory System, and they don't seem to have one the same as Humans (and don't say they breathe the same way because they don't have nostrils- I checked!) They would not need one.

And how come they speak English, French, Japanese, Korean etc. Eh? Does every one on earth have a Babelfish in their ear or something? Or what, In the far future the Human Race forget about the Transformers, create a 2 giant Robot that Transform into a Planet and a Planet eating Moon, who both in turn create their own Races of Transformers who War for Billions of years and end up going through a time warp and crash landing on earth 4 million years before 1984?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    TFs have noses so that their visors dont fall off.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They speak english because kids wouldn't understand robot gibberish and don't like subtitles.

I hope they address this in the movie and come up with a good explanation.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    universal translators biyatch!

5. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I have a couple theories/points that could be used to address this.

For the noses/respiratory system, I view it like this. Transformers can also be choked. Why? They obviously don't need to breathe for the reasons we do. But what if they have other reasons? Say, cooling systems. Their respiratory systems may be used to circulate air or water to cool hot components, or possibly fiel chemical reactions that require substances like Nitrogen or Oxygen, maybe something to do with their power systems, there. Likewise, these pathways could allow the cold of space to pass through and carry away excess heat when off a planet. By this token, if you choke a Transformer, which we've seen done, you're causing their systems to overheat until it becomes critical, or starving a critical reaction of the molecules it needs, potentially.

Language? Well, I don't think advanced translation abilities are too far fetched, but really, when they speak among themselves before coming to Earth, or even after, why are they necessarily speaking English? When you watch a show about Macedonia, or Genghis Khan, or Rome, do you really think those people are speaking English? Or is that essentially just a convenient translation provided for the understanding of the audience which speaks a different language? Why should Transformers be different? After all, in Cybertronian, whatever that is, they may all have different names. Perhaps their English names are just the best possible translation they can find for the concepts, meanings, or sound-structures behind the Cybertronian "true name".

6. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

In the UK story 'Man of Iron', Jazz stated their names were code-names as theire true names were unpronouncable.

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

I just assumed that they were modelled after humans.

8. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    For the same reason that they have 5 fingered hands, arms, legs, etc... Hasbro and Takara wanted that we could indentify ourselves with them...

9. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

:lolol  :lolol  :lolol  :lolol 

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's perfectly reasonable to just say: 'Cause it's kids show and toyline, and some of the original designs were more anthropomorphic than others.

But Sidecutter makes good points for the sake of fun rationalization.

Other possibilities for the nose: protruding chemical sensor that functions in the same fashion as an olfactory system, sensor array that needs to avoid the same thickness of armor that protects the more important inner parts of the head, and the cop-out, just some alien thing that's beyond us human types to get. But a cephalopod arrangement makes solid design sense--look at every single terrestial mammal ever.

The language stuff, I always assumed maybe they had long Cybertronian names that explained their function/purpose, history, personality, etc. Code names were chosen as just that, short names for everyday use. And universal translators seem like an obvious answer...Teletran scanned vehicles, so it probably scanned airwaves and gave them English (Japanese, etc.) programming, which was easy enough to pass along to other Transformers down the road.

But as much fun as you can have tossing this around, the answer is always really gonna be: 'Cause it's a kid's show and toyline. Looking for anything truly deeper will just give you a headache.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd totally forgotten that...canon references trump all other suggestions.

12. Shockwing

Shockwing Perfectly cromulent. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Nevermind the fact that some have facial hair. :lol 

13. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    You are the man!!!:lolol  :lolol  :lolol 

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    TFs who have facial hair are x-treme.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    to the max...

Yeah i agree that the nose/breathing is a cooling system or needed for internal combustion of some kind.

And language... just so we can understand them.. and universal translators.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont see how its wrong for TFs nose to perform like human nose. they just house TFs olfactory sensors.

(note that according to BT specs, TFs have 8 senses)

also, the whole dealie with TF similar to human goes back to some TF lore where TF are supposedly inexplicably intertwined with the human race.

the DW comics were alluding these when they threw up the idea 'ever wondered as far as the evolution of TFs, why they are scaled to humans?'.

no more DW :( 

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    As for why they appear to speak English, Japanese, Korean etc,

I'll use the Daleks (Doctor Who, as if anyone didnt know that) as another reference to this.

(Wording taken from 'Dalek Survival Guide')
    'The translation system has phrase listings and vocabulary banks for every known language and handles simultaneous translation of the Dalek's speech using Alpha-Wave augmentation to ensure it is understood by anyone within hearing.'

This is entirely possible that the Transformers have the same sort of thing, which is why they can speak English, Japanese, whatever. Because, in the newer toons for example, the kids are usually with them, but when they are not, the viewers at home are, so it would still need to be translated for them, which adds to the 'realism' if you will.........
    and I have no idea what the hell I've just tried to explain.

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmmm...what might these be?

-Touch, of course.
    -Sight, of course.
    -Hearing, of course.
    -Taste? I can see this being useful for testing chemicals, the quality of Energon refinement, etc.
    -Smell? This would be useful for reasons somewhat similar to taste, or as an extension of it, as it is wirth Humans.
    -Radio Frequency? This would make fair sense.
    -Electromagnetic Fields? Again, I can see this coming in handy.

What could the last one be?

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    think ur right. its just 7. electromagnet and radio. good call.

20. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

The Force?