Why do they kill off an old character when a new one is introduced?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Leather Elbows, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    SPOILER! Forgot to put spoiler in title. SPOILER SPOILER

BREAKDOWN!! Instead of adding Dreadwing to the Cons they just replace Breakdown with him. Not really adding a new character. More like replacing an old one. They need to build up the cast. It's small enough. I wanna see Steve's cousin.

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Dude you need to change your sig, it's fragging creepy.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can change the thread title within the first five minutes of posting bro.

4. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    This show seems completely terrified of having anything even approaching a large cast, which is annoying because this show is the new "definitive" Transformers and everyone wants to see their favorite TF show up.

5. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I refuse to let you sleep ever again

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Breakdown was a new character. Who'd they kill to get him?

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Beast Wars didn't have a huge cast either and look how well it did. If Beast Wars was able to make up for not having a big cast then so can Prime.

Besides there's the CGI budget to think about too by the way which Beast Wars also had. I rather have a small cast that's developed then a huge cast that's underdevleoped in my opinion.

8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I imagined that was the sig saying that. Creepy.

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Large casts are a detriment in most cases. There is not enough time to focus on everyone. ROTF is a good example of this. Too many robots, and not enough time to show them all off.

Killing a named character can build tension, and add to the plot when a good writer is in control. The movies just loved killing people for no reason, and shooting themselves in the foot in terms of sequels.

I feel like when this show kills someone, it has lingering effects. You hear characters say "this is for Cliffjumper", etc. and Skyquake's death proved important later on.
    Breakdown's death acted as a way to ascend Airachnid from "kinda creepy", to "completely fucking nuts", and I'm sure Knockout will be pissed off.

10. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't. :]

The cast is plenty developed. The entire first season was devoted to developing the Autobots and nothing else. It's time for some new characters.

11. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

"Why do they kill off an old character when a new one is introduced?"

Ninjas.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Beast Wars had fourteen characters by time they started killing them and had been introducing new permanent characters from season one. After waiting so long for a new guy in Prime, I can see how it would be disappointing that they were only up to twelve by time they started killing them off.

13. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I'm usually all for a smaller cast - the writing for each character can be stronger when there are less characters to develop and devote time to.

But in this show's case, I feel like it would benefit from new characters. In watching Loose Cannons and seeing Wheeljack shake up the dynamic, it honestly furthered my feeling that this cast - especially on the Autobot's side - is rather boring.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the More Than Meets the Eye comic, where every character just jumps off the page with personality and life.

This show needs more dynamic characters, IMO.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree with this. My only concern for the new characters are that they are getthing reused models from old characters.

16. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The small cast has been one of the best points of TFP, all characters are now well fleshed out

As for one in and one out it isn't necessarily true. Cliff was not replaced and SkyQuake wasn't replaced either. I think DreadWing for Breakdown is some coincidence, I believe (and we'll find out soon enough) that Breakdown's swansong was designed to further MECH's agenda than anything else.

17. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I dig the small cast.

It allow the writers to flesh out existing characters and create arcs that intertwine with the ongoing story. For example, we barely know anything about Wheeljack. I expect a lot more from him before new Autobots come along.

18. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I actually prefer a small cast. It helps with the development of each character , an gives fans of the show a chance to see what each individual is all about. I became a big fan of Breakdown as well as Knockout during S1. To see what I saw last week was a HUGE shock to me. This is why I love the show! Im hooked. On the characters as well as on the show itself. It reminds me so much of Beast Wars series , where each side at any given point had at least 6 members. An you knew each character personally , to the point where when something happens ( like the death of a character ) you really do feel the disappointment of loss.

19. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

This show is something of a trainwreck in its writing rules, they keep a small cast so they can develop everyone yet just focus on two Autobots [Bulkhead, Arcee] leaving the entire team undeveloped and only one Decepticon [Starscream], leaving the entire enemy team undeveloped as well.

To add further insult to the injury, they also merciless kill off one of the characters [who barely had any development] while introducing another, they're not really giving a rat's ass to that "build up each teammate" strategy anymore.

20. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

They killed Cliffjumper (who no one seems to even care about except Arcee for "character development") to be like "ooohhh anyone can die" and then no one dies. And then Orion Pax happens (lololololol happens yeah right) then they were like "oh shit people aren't taking us seriously" so they killed a low key character and brought in a new one, just to play it safe. This show sure is dark and mature and serious guys.