Why do the films get so much negative criticism?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BluRayHiDef, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

We're talking about robot-mode, not vehicle-mode.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

If I got something like this on screen, I would've been ecstatic. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

the idea that Bays designs were realistic is absolutely ludicrous.

they are alien robots, we have no idea what "realistic" would be.

4. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    You're missing the point I'm afraid. The idea that a race which has been fighting a war for millenia and has control of their forms would choose to expose all of their inner mechanisms rather than place them behind stout armor is unrealistic and makes for ugly robots as well.

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I have to chime in here. I really love some of the movie bots, and like most of them, but they all blatantly cheat. There is no consistency in how they transform (especially blatant with Prime's transformations in DOTM), parts curve in a way that they shouldn't, double vehicle parts, far more mass then should ever be able to fit in the robots, weapons that appear out of nowhere....

The movie bots do exactly the same morphing as the G1 cartoon and Beast Wars transformations, but it's less noticeable because so much is going on that it tricks you into believing that it is.

That's really waaaay too blocky and disproportioned. The attached pics are closer to that general style that I'd like to see: Robots with recognizable alt mode parts and/or a sensible use of the splitting up plating, so that it actually serves as armor and doesn't leave their innards exposed. And character updates that can have some extensive updates, but still leaving it easy to guess who they are.

Attached Files:

6. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People criticize the movies because they want blocky, unrealistic robots, and mass shifting. But it's not the 80's anymore, and the designs are far more realistic and what giant alien robots would really look like and mass shifting is just stupid and lazy and defies all physics.

People criticize the movies because there was no negative effect when Cybertron entered Earth's atmosphere. But come on, it's a summer popcorn movie, do you expect realism in a movie about giant alien robots and Baysplosions? Besides, it was stated that space bridges use different physics or something, so it's cool.

People criticize the movies because they're not GEEWUN enough. But it's a new continuity, people shouldn't have to watch a 25 year old cartoon to understand it.

People criticize the movies because of "Robot Heaven" but seriously, it wasn't robot heaven! Sam was in the Matrix, if you watched the old G1 cartoons you'd understand!

People criticize the movies because there's too much focus on humans, and boring human stuff. But we NEED humans to identify with, people coming in fresh wouldn't understand a movie all about robots. Plus too many robots and it might as well be a CG cartoon.

People criticize the movies because of lack of characterization. But it's not Shakespeare or Citizen Kane, we don't need 3 hours of Prime and Megatron discussing philosophy, it's THREE HOURS OF ROBOTS BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF EACH OTHER!!!!! Everyone loves that!

In short, people criticize the movies and belittle the fans because they have no life and are jealous of all the money Bay made. They use stupid hyperbole, claim Transformers is "ruined forever" and decided they hate them before they even saw then, and that's just wrong. Most critics don't like them because they're not the intended audience, it's not made for old guys who are out of touch, so their opinion is invalid. Now excuse me, I'm going to go make fun of some stupid Twilight fans and post about how the movies ruined vampires forever and the next sequel proves the Mayans were right and the world is ending.

7. BluRayHiDef

Show me these exposed insides.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

sorry, dp

9. BluRayHiDef

Show me these exposed inner mechanisms.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

re-read my post, I said nothing about "exposed insides"

11. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I did, but it's sure not worth my time to hunt up images to make my case. My give-a-damn is broken when it comes to anything more strenuous than making a forum post about these crappy movies. Me and the OP will just have to agree to disagree. :) 

12. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

So you wanted the Transformers to have crashed here 4 million years ago, go undiscovered until a volcanic erruption and then are brought back online by their computer that is woken up by the volcano? Sorry it's just not that realistic. I am a geewunner, but I liked that they were going to make it more real and modern.

13. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Soundwave wasn't white but I do like how they changed Megatron's color in DOTM.

14. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

He was very almost white. Still a different shade of Silver from Megs and Screamer

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Why is it when people say they want characterization to the robots it some how leaps into people want a robotic version of one of Shakespeare's plays or they want Gone With the Wind or Casablanca with robots?

If we had characterization that was equal to Aliens 2, Saving Private Ryan, or the other action films with big casts and great characters I think people would be happy. It's not like there is only the two extremes of Hamlet or Jolt with no middle ground between loads and almost none.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Different alloys of steel.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I really dont see why its any more "un-realistic" then Megatron crashing here durring one of Earths ice ages or the Fallen being here a few hundred or thousand years ago.

We are learning a lot about things that happen million of years ago now a days.It wouldnt surprise me if we found the remains of meteor or other things from space tomorrow if Yosemite [gently] explodes.

18. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

My criticism of the sequels (not the first, because I think it's awesome) isn't due to changes to or a lack of the mythology, how non-G1 it is, or the designs.

I love the designs for the most part (there are some I don't care for, but that's the same with any TF show/movie/book/whatever).

My criticism is with character development and story, specifically how the TFs are used - or not used. And treated. A lot of missed opportunities with them are thrown aside for visual effects (building collapse, the driller, Devastator), and they just needed more time, more character moments.

19. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Yes magic space metal explains everything. I'm sorry I was so wrong. I'll try to be less wrong in the future when I try to rationalize fictional technology.

Oh wait, nm I was wrong about being wrong. Puny human weapons(small arms that wouldn't hurt an armored military Hummer BTW) reduced the alien robots to charred wreckage....maybe if they had had magic space metal or more armor they would have lived longer...

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Because space alien robots are something rational that we see everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.