Why do the autobots doom their own species ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Vincymon, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

I noticed that in ROTF the decepticons make several references to the perpetuation of the species. Their main motive seems to be to replenish their species , with the colonization of the earth as a necessary sacrifice.

So far the autobots have managed to:

1. destroy the all spark ( cybertronian life source )
    2. destroy the energon factory ( cybertronian food source )

both in the name of saving humans, but each at a great cost to their own species.

Yet so far, all the decepticons have done is try to find a way to make more transformers. In the first movie megatron wanted to use the all spark; in the second movie, they wanted to use the energon machine to sustain and build up protoforms, and eventually more transformers.

It would be interesting to have Optimus and Megatron argue this in the third movie. In fact they should. So far the autobots been very naive; ironically the decepticons seem to be the only bots concerned about the species.

As megatron said "Is our species not even worth the death of one human ?"

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Needs of the many, man. Megatron would use the cube to fuel the subjugation of the universe.

Megatron isn't growing a civilisation, he's growing an army.

3. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

It's actually a very interesting dynamic, and I agree, it should be expanded on.

When Megatron took over and staged his military coup, he was doing so because of what the fallen told him. One, that he'd be made a prime, and two, that they could control the universe with the power that was gathered.

With the allspark destroyed, they no longer have a vessel they can easily fill with more and more energy, and with the sun-harvester destroyed, they no longer have a tool that they can easily get more energy with.

The base reasons for Megatron starting the war to begin with were evil. If he had not done so, the Allspark would have been preserved, as well as earth, and everything would have been fine. He (and the Fallen) did not agree with the old cybertronian principle of not harvesting inhabited worlds.

With the Allspark and Harvester destroyed, and Optimus having absorbed the Matrix, there may be a way to gather energy to help revitalize cybertron....or there may not be. The Decepticons are at fault for putting the cybertronians in that position to begin with though....so while they may try to argue that they have the moral high ground because they're not trying to eradicate the species, they're the ones who forced that situation.

It's a lot like what happened in The Ultimate Doom, where Megatron started the process to bring cybertron to earth, and then made prime finish it, knowing he would because otherwise his planet would be destroyed....

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

That and Optimus does not want anybody suffering the same fate as their race.

During the thousands of years of warfare Prime could have seen the effect of their war on other races. During their frantic search for the Allspark.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Is Megatron referring to the continuation of the Transformers as a species, or the Decepticons as a species?

6. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Indeed it is.

7. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Excellent point.

8. nemetoad

nemetoad Well-Known Member

"perpetuation of the species" is an excuse to get their mits on the solar collector, allspark cube, etc. In truth, I doubt they're in any danger of going extinct, what with a ton of protoforms raining down at the end of RotF. And also, who is to say Earth is the only planet with artifacts used to collect/create energon?

and really, the Autobots could very well be fine species-wise too. More are still scattered in space, afterall.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm sure the Autobots would love to find a way to ensure the longterm survival of their species... as long as it does NOT involve destroying other worlds or their own society, which all of the Decepticon plans seem to somehow involve. For now, they're not in immediate danger of extinction and can afford to look for better options.

10. Ironlock

Ironlock Me KING! Want mess?

1. megatron wanted to use the all spark as a weapon.
    2 I rather have dead autobot then dead human.

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

Nope, the Autobots just don't want to help in growing a bigger Decepticon army that will either enslave or outright exterminate any other lifeforms they encounter (including the Autobots and any 'cons who, well, just aren't with the program).

12. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

But still ...

I am already very impressed at how well the captured the megatron / starscream conflict, that was very entertaining.

it would be good to show Optimus and Megatron in an argument about issues such as this thread in the next movie.. if anything, it will add to the movie's dynamic.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

You've brought up some very good points. I applaud you.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The Autobots are self-loathing assholes, and they realize that if Skids and Mudflap are the best of their kind that can survive, there really isn't any point to them continuing as species.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

smkspy, you just made milk shoot out of my nose. And I don't drink milk.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Undigested baby milk!! Ewwwww.

17. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

So what was the point in Megatron and the Decepticons starting the war in the first place if they were so concerned with saving their species?

18. Blackout26

Blackout26 Member

It would definetely be a good feature of the next movie. Maybe that way we'll be better "equipped" to understand this whole conflict.

Personally I find Optimus' high moral standards to be completely out of place. I mean, c'mon! Carrying for humans more then they do about themselves?? When Hatchet I believe it was, in TF1 said something like: "What about Bumblebee? The humans have him and he'll be subjected to painfull tests and experiments" (which, by the way, the "lovely" humans were in full proceedings), Optimus began his nonsense of explaining what a great warrior Bumblebee is, etc. etc. He was already set on sacrificing Bumblebee. :crazy: 
    This only shows once again how naive and pathetic the Autobots are.:lol 

Optimus would be better off concentrating on their cause (if there is any:rolleyes2 ) and forget the consequencies for these bugs called humans!

Boy, am I gonna get fried for this reply....:cry 

19. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

It was Ratchet who said something like we are a violent and primitive race and Jazz who questioned why they were leaving Bumblebee to his fate. Sorry dude just being finecky! :D 
    Prime had a bigger agenda at the time of Bee getting captured i.e making sure Megatron didn't get to the Allspark so all their efforts would have been in vain! He does want the continuation of his race, but he is torn between saving the lives of humans and ensuring that the Decepticons gain control of Allspark / Sun Harvester to breed a new army and doom everyone else.

Prime know what he is doing, it's just a shame that A-bots and others have perished along the way.

20. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

It was ironhide who said "why are we trying to save the humans". Anyway it was the megatron who started the war and caused all the trouble. Autobots actions about stopping megatron made it even worse. I hope in the next movie they point out these facts and discuss about their races survival.