Why do TF's speak to each other....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Crimson Primus, Jul 18, 2008.

1. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I always see that as one of the aspects that appeals to me most about the transformers - how flawed they can be. In fact nearly all of their character comes from that human side to them. They're not really all that robotic at all. Mechanical alien life is far more interesting.

And surely Bumblebee could conquer the world using his super advanced love bug powers from futuristic space;) 

2. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I can see why they might speak vocally in private or back at HQ, but in the middle of a battle or any time they're operating as a military unit, they'd be better served talking across a comm net. Greater range, increased security, and less attenuation for starters.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    And they'd haveto explain where Spike and Sparkplug got the power to overhear their conversations...

4. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    when shooting at each other, why would they sometimes miss? should they not have some kind of super-advanced targetting system built into their heads?

Initially i did consider them to be far more advanced technologically than humans, but some of the arguments that are being brought up in this thread are starting to change my opinion a little.....maybe they arent that different from us.

In regards to that 'bumblebee taking over the world by himself' comment....i kind of thought up another reason for why michael bay/ movie writers decided to keep Megatron in his Cybertronian mode for the movie.....like that he looks as though he COULD conquer the planet by himself; because he is some kind of alien super-powered death jet. A simple earthly alt mode kind of gives me the impression that that particular robot could be stopped/ controlled by humans without too much effort.

great thread :D 

5. Nocturn

Nocturn Doesn't really use TFW

Because, from a marketing standpoint, it makes them more "human".

And do you have any idea how advanced the technology for speech and hearing is? In robots or in people? Hell, the mere fact they can talk and have conversations by doing so is better than some damn bat signal.

6. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Autobot communicators in their helmets. ;) 

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

True, but the same could be said of GIJOE... or any fictional combat unit. Dialog is a narrative tool.

Also, in some ways TFs might be seen as more "barbaric" than modern humans... the way that they wage war is particularly inefficient, almost feudal in style. Even in the methods of the peaceful Autobots, an undercurrent of warrior culture exists, where even after millions of years of warfare, foes often meet on the battlefield face-to-face, fist-to-fist, altmode-to-altmode. They announce themselves, taunt each other, and remember the names of their enemies.

It's a bolder, more personal style that favours the abilities of the individual warrior... and it's positively archaic by modern human standards of combat. For us war has only become more convenient. Bombs, snipers, electronic missile systems, fighter jets with long range weaponry... the push of a big red button. Whatever romance our warfare once had, it's long dead.

In this context, it seems like open speech on the battlefield might be much more natural for Transformers, y'know?

See, that's just it. Transformers aren't computers. They may be inorganic, but their brains still function at a similar level to our own. Characters like Prowl are "special" because of their powerful and precise computational abilities... but that doesn't mean that Brawn even knows how to do long division. :) 

Interesting point about Megatron's lack of an Earth mode. It does make him a more nebulous but imposing threat, rather than resembling a human tool. Good observation.

zmog

8. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so we can hear them.....

9. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Have any of you considered telepathy as a possibility?

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Then I'm gonna buy a Yellow Helmet, stat. *runs off to the hardware store*