Why do TF's speak to each other....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Crimson Primus, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

This has always kind of bothered me. You would think that as advanced as they are....they would have some kind of wireless tech to communicate with each other not having to rely on voice communication. I always thought that it was silly that Soundwave had to wait for laserbeak or ravage to come back from a recon mission before he knew what was going on. Or that if an autobot was in trouble across the planet he could not get ahold of Prime due to a bad modem....:lol 

2. luke4

luke4 crocon

thats a good question and it makes u wonder y mp prime has the screens on his for arms...

3. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

I think it's because a much safer means of communication, especially at ultrashort ranges. Any kind of broadcasted signal (radio waves, light beams, etc) is, with sufficient countermeasures, both traceable and able to be intercepted. There's even TFs who specialize in doing just that (Soundwave). A conversation using "vocal chords" (i'm assuming some kind of speaker) is only detectable in the immediate surroundings as it'll disapate in the air pretty quickly. If you were giving orders to your troops along a battleline, only those right near you could hear it if you said it vocally.. if you put it out over a signal of some sort, you run the risk of the enemy getting that info.

Alternatively, it could be simply that they've realized not every form of life out there is mechanical (and thus, no built in communications devices) and they need some way to speak with biological life (like humans).

The specific examples you gave I think are just due to bad writing. :lol 

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Because a cartoon where robots just stand around staring at each other would have been boring.

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Bingo!

6. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

:lolol 

on that note.....look how messed up people were over Optimus getting lips...you could always imagine that they were communicating other then voice.....like when Weeljacks ear thingys lit up or when Primes face mask moved, so the story still could have been done.

7. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Why do they have hands and traditional controls for their ships instead of data ports or some such thing? Why are they configured as bipedal humanoids? Why "teeth"? All to make them easier to identify with I'm sure.

8. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

I'll take 'What is a trufakt', for $100, Alex.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Because they were created to serve other species who wouldn't necessarily be able to receive radio waves unaided.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

You're setting about winning the thread a bit early aren't you? :) 

That's if you follow the Quintesson origin, which I know a lot of fans have their issues with.

I think part of the reason (besides obvious anthropomorphism for simplicity's sake) transformers having external guns, hand controls, etc, seems weird to us now is that we're in the midst of a technological revolution. Everything is plugged in, wirelessly controlled and teched out. I tend to forget how amazing something as basic as an MP3 player would have been back when I was making mix tapes in the late 80's.

In the early 80's they were humanoid robots that transformed... that was high-tech enough!

Now, the average person is more tech savvy, and obscure cyberpunkisms have become daily reality, so we're less impressed with robots who can speak to each other and drive spaceships with hand controls... (which is why we get "nanotech"... we need another magical catch-all super science that we don't really understand in order to explain all those unexplainables...)

My take is that TFs and their devices and vehicles may seem interchangeable to us, but to TFs, living and inanimate machines are very different things. It would be like a TF wondering why a human fisherman can't just interface with his rowboat, because both are made out of organic materials... or why a horse and rider can't just plug their brains together to make them more efficient.

Likewise, they don't interface with their machines unless they are specialized for that purpose. For those that aren't specialized, there are hand controls, which are a much more universal interface. :) 

Faces I interpret as mainly a cosmetic thing that helps them be distinct from each other.

According to the old TF Universe, all TF's have 7 basic senses... sight, hearing, smell, touch, shortwave radio transmission, electrical and magnetic sensitivity. So yeah, they can all broadcast to each other... but I'm sure for various reasons, simple auditory signals can be more useful, and at times, discreet, than broadcasting a signal that every other TF can "hear".

But what is their language like, and why don't they use it? Again, I figure it's probably some kind of condensed binary signal, perhaps a very high pitched frequency, similar to their language in the 2007 movie, but almost imperceptible to humans. After TFs come to earth, they program themselves with Earth languages culled from media and the internet... adopting whatever vernaculars or accents that they happen to like, or that approximate how they speak among their own kind (hence we get guys with accents like Jazz, Ironhide, Perceptor, etc...).

However the base Cybertronian linguistic signal could also be emitted from their vocal modulators simultaneously while they speak in English, a sort of "instant translation" that humans wouldn't be able to hear, but other TFs not programmed with the English "codec" could still understand.

Or maybe I've just given this way too much thought.... :) 

zmog

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Exactly.

12. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    *Puts on academic's hat* Aye, it's our natural inclination to humanise stuff.. it's the same reason we moan at our computers if they crash or do something "stupid", or the way we ascribe feelings exactly like our own to other animals; it's part of how we choose to relate to objects and other creatures all that blah blah blah. A kids cartoon about transforming robots, is going to be no exception - in fact i'd say it's kind of essential, for all sorts of reasons, which may include use of creative imagination, child's play, or just toy companies' balance sheets ;) 

It's a fair point tho... clearly, an advanced sentient robot species wouldn't really need speech, and an advanced sentient EVIL robot faction would take about a week to conquer or obliterate the earth. But let's not spoil it :) 

13. SMOG

Heh heh... it's all a huge coincidence. TF see an interface port... but because we're human and tend to humanize everything, we interpret it as a "face" with eyes, nose, mouth, teeth, etc...

But the joke's on us, because TF really hear through their "noses" and speak with their "teeth"! :) 

To contend with this point, I also see no reason why advanced alien robots wouldn't use audible "speech". Social and physical evolution rarely follows the exact same path... there are many inconsistencies and inefficiencies inherent in biological design, so why not TFs too?

After all, humans have brains, which may (or may not) have the capacity for psychic communication, so why should we need speech? We just didn't develop our faculties that way, and here we are today.

I see TFs as organisms that do have a sort of default "factory state" that doesn't have all the bells and whistles... anything beyond that is the result of very deliberate and resource-heavy re-engineering. Why do we assume that they all must have USB ports and super-radios and wide-range molecular scanners and complex mathematical capabilities, just because that's how we engineer OUR machines?

zmog

14. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Because they're military designs, and even today the most uninterceptable communication device in the field is the comm laser?

Easy enough to be entertaining whether they were speaking vocally or not - look at Ghost in the Shell or even The Tomorrow People for examples of how TV handles nonverbal communication.

15. SMOG

However, Transformers may be considered a species first, and war machines second. Audible "speech" may be their natural state...

More discreet tools could be used under special circumstances, the same way our human soldiers use radios, hand signals, comm lasers, whatever... but "speaking" may be their most comfortable means of communication. Of course that still doesn't mean that their interpretation of language should necessarily sound anything like OUR languages. :) 

zmog

16. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I always wonder why people stick to the idea that the transformers are 'super advanced'. In many continuities they aren't *really* all that more advanced than us. Better space travel, improved weaponry. A lot of what makes them 'super' (transforming, special powers, etc) comes naturally to them as a race, or was at least learnt at some point, in the same way in which we've evolved to walk on two feet. I think that aspect is what allowed them to interact alongside humans (in G1 at least) without making them seem totally redundant. Both species had things they could learn from each other.

Remember, TFs are ALIENS not just super advanced machines.

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Even robots get lonely.

18. SMOG

EXACTLY! I was trying to get at some of that in my above post.

Obviously there is a lot of "super science" in Transformers, but let's not forget that technological evolution isn't always completely linear. If you go by the old Tech Specs, sure Tracks has some sort of weird sci-fi Black Ray gun... which is cool... but if you compare the actual destructive capabilities (which are often described in detail) of their weapons, they're often no better than Earth armaments. This is part of the reason I always subscribed to the idea that the TF on Earth had to wage a "secret war"... because if humanity organized itself against them, they would lose>.

LOL! Win! :D 

zmog

19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    EXACTLY!

Nice to see that someone finally agrees with me on this!

20. SMOG

Heh heh... I know what you mean. There are too many people in the fandom who seem to think that TFs are so far ahead of humanity, that Bumblebee by himself could conquer the world. :) 

I always find it more interesting to look at their limitations and vulnerabilities as a species.

zmog