Why do TF Fans Benefit from So Many 3rd Party and Others Don't?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quixote_Prime, May 6, 2011.

1. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    The title has the question.

I decided to come back into TF's after collecting G2 back in college after a massive hiatus. I did most other Hasbro properties. I was shocked to find not only so many 3rd party offerings but also massive fan enthusiasm for FP.

But why are there so many third party offerings to be had and nothing of the sort for Star Wars or Joe, for instance? LFL exceptionally litigious while Hasbro is less so?

SW fans frequently whine about the lack of playsets or vehicles yet there's no 3rd party out there for them. AFAIK, same for Joe.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hmmm. Transformers are better toys, and their fans are a better class of people?

3. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    That's a good question. I don't really look at other toy lines even though I'm fond of MOTU, GI Joe and Star Wars from when I was a kid. I just haven't had the same passion or interest in those lines as I have for Transformers. I guess the 3rd parties for Transformers have more opportunity to provide the updates that fans really want. For instance, Hasbro not providing a trailer for Classics voyager Prime was a perfect opportunity to create an add-on set. The add-on trailers didn't step on Hasbro's toes because they were never going to do it and it got fans fired up for the line even more. Hasbro probably doesn't mind, even if some products do step on their toes a bit, because overall fans probably buy more of the same toy (instead of just one) in anticipation that a 3rd party company might due an add-on for the given toy.

4. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I know there have been "custom casters" making heads, guns, etc. for GI Joe, and while Devastator appears to be in the works, realize there is no 3rd party custom Fort Max or Metroplex, etc.

Playsets & Vehicles are larger and more expensive for Hasbro, so doubly so for 3rd party companies and their eventual customers. So I think there's problem of effort and risk 3rd parties might be willing or unwilling to put forth for "large" items.

Why not smaller stuff for Joe/SWs then? Well... why? Since Joe/SW action figures are easier to make than a Transformer, Hasbro covers more characters more quickly and fans can "frankenstein"/customize missing characters somewhat easily and quickly.

I don't know... is there something reasonably sized that would be good fodder for a 3rd party Joe/SW item?

5. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

Because most other toys are more straightforward. When you have 1 character or 1 vehicle to model... its not that hard to get it right. When you have multiple vehicles and multiple series reboots that influence design styles, its not hard to see why all the demands aren't satisfied.

Also, engineer and design costs, plus cost to manufacture are big factors. A mass market toy can't be super expensive with a low profit margin. Hasbro isn't willing to do this, 3rd party makers are.

Its not hard to make a gi joe or a star wars figure look like the character. After 20 years its probably safe to say there has been at least 1 figure that has satisfied the demand for a perfectly accurate representation. After 25+ years of transformers there are still many glaring gaps, although that number is going down as 3rd parties get involved. Eventually the major items will have been made, and the 3rd party holes to fill will go away.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure about that one. Granted, not that there's anything good about Star Wars fans

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    transformers appeal to people that love to design, engineer, and create. I think the universe leads itself to much custom work, and appreication.

There are other fandoms with customs, but they are far less common, most likely because they also have less wide fan appeal.

It also seems to be the most "universial" in terms of gaining robot series fan. For example, Gundam also have a lot of customizers.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check out some of the 1/6 figure forums. You will see that Transformers have nowhere near the quantity of third party products as they do.