Why do some people pay thousands of dollars for new systems?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mike, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    Im looking on Ebay, and I've been seeing them sell from $1000 to $3000 dollars!!!!! the average about 2300.

that is completly insane!!! and its not just a hand full of them selling for crazy prices, all of them on there are selling for around 2300 dollars and up.

I just don't understand people, can anyone explain it to me? anyone here spending that much on one?

I can understand people waiting in line to get one and you know... throw it up on ebay to MAKE that much money. taking a day off work that pays you 100 bucks, to go make a few thousand isn't a bad idea.

I can even sit down and think about why people camp out all night just to get one, to take it home and play it hours on end. at least then you are only paying retail. But to pay 2500, that is just crazy IMO.

And here I remember people complaining about the retail price being too high. there are hundreds of people paying 3 times as much .

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Note that not are those bids are really serious. A friend of mine sold a extra PS2 of his back during its launch. I believe he said the auction ended at just over $1000. However, a number of bidders backed down, and he ended up letting it go for about $500-600.

But even anyone who would spend that much on a system is beyond me. Its not like you wont be able to wait a month or two and walk into any store and easily buy one.

3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    ive seen them end @ 10 thou, 5600, and most are all over $3000

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes some of the bids are really fabricated. A marketing strategy tricking people that the item is really hot! hot! hot! It really works for some excessive compulsive people who wants nothing but to spend spend spend. Hey! like the saying goes... there's a sucker for everything. My advice, spend wisely and don't spend more than you can afford - simple law of how to get rich actually.

5. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Doesn't ebay demand a cut of that fake $10,000 sale? I understand the strategy, but that's just piss poor implementation.

It's like saying you have a 40 inch dick. No girl's going to believe you, and even if they did, they won't come anywhere near you.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Why do people pay good money for a potato that looks like Abraham Lincoln? Why do people screw dead deer on the side of the road? Why do people cut off their genitals and post sequential pictures on the Internet? Why do people join strange cults and commit mass suicide? Why why why?

People do crazy and stupid things all the time... because they're crazy and stupid.

7. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Because they can. So they can say they were the first.

"I was the first in my town to own a PS3." "I was the first to climb that big ass mountain over there." "I was the first in this town to rob a liquor store and a bank in the same day."

Human nature wants to be recognized, wants to have bragging rights, and some people who have the means go for it. Not my style, but I'm not going to judge them for it.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alot of people have alot of money.

9. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    all good points

being the first is a good point, but witha game system, not sure if it has the same meaning, as being the first to climb a mountain, or first into space.

but I can relate to that, as I won an xbox 360 last year and the point of the contest was Be The First To Play. we got the system on the 14th of november instead of the release date on the 22nd. That was pretty interesting having it before the rest of the world

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

They are stupid!

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I think its a bit funny that a lot of those ebay pre-sale PSPs are going to run into problems with eb/gamestop not being able to fill their pre-order yet.

13. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Great news about the current prices eh? Woot!

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Tell ya, if I could get my hands on a PS3, it'd be up on ebay faster than one of my premature ejaculations.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You put your premature ejaculations on eBay? Ew. :yuck 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the people here are against scalping transformers that are in low supply, but all for scalping video game consoles in low supply?

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nope; I think both are shitty practices that stop the goods getting to the people who really want them.

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

They want them and they can't have them so it makes them want them even more its as simple as that really. Comes Christmas time when PS3s get replenished they will be in super high demand I bet there will be sell outs two the early adopters will already have theres.

19. Emperor Megatron

Emperor Megatron Something goes here

I hope it backfires on all those people and they end up not making as much money as they thought they would. I read that the auctions in Japan after their release the prices came down and people were able to get them for around retail price.

20. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

more money then brains.