Why do so many people dislike the existence of the Hasbro Universe in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Rom & the Micronauts has been confirmed to be heading to Microspace.
    (I think Rom's fine, though? It's one of the better Hasbro titles. It doesn't do much to tie itself into the rest of the universe, but I think being mostly self-contained is a strength; stuff like those two Joes fighting the Space Knights and the Knights being mistaken for Autobots has only served to enhance the story rather than distract from it.)

2. Metal Boxes

Metal Boxes Active Member

I only read TF and GI Joe. From a story perspective it's all fine. Didn't read anything insulting my intelligence. However my gripes are with the constant re-launches and spin-offs mixed with the impossibility of jumping on one title. For instance I'd like to read the Optimus Prime book but checking it out I had no idea what the absolute hell was going on. I'm doing a chronological reading order for TF and at times it feels like a chore instead of being able to jump on one book and stay on it, like Marvel and DC usually do.
    GI Joe is more straight forward but it also suffers from cross-over events across multiple titles. AAAARGH, it's not fun to keep up with all that stuff.

3. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a lot of it stems from the same issues I have with Marvel/DC, the tie-in events are usually garbage or uneven/unsatisfying. The Rom/Transformers book has worked for me because it feels more like filling in blanks. Stuff like First Strike feels grating, it doesn't help that every human character since revolution acts like a crazy person about Transformers. Yeah, I get things like All Hail Megatron happened, but without seeing those characters dealing with that crisis it all feels so hamfisted. I don't mind it, but it feels so grafted on, that's it's hard to get behind.
    That being said I've enjoyed non-crossover Micronauts and almost all of the Rom stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I think the implementation of the shared universe has been less than desirable. I think it would've been better if IDW slowly introduced the other players into the universe, rather than all at once.

5. Mr P

Mr P Member

I just have zero interest in the other hasbro properties, if it gets too much I'll just see it as an ideal jumping off point.

I'm a transformers comic fan, it's the best medium for the franchise, and I don't want it diluted with dross from other toy ranges.

Sorry to be blunt and all.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I am a Transformers fan, not a MASK fan or GI JOE fan. I want Transformers and some aliens... AND THATS IT! I don't want to have to know about GI JOE or any of those other guys like MICRONAUGHTS. I think it is just a way of getting people to buy other Hasbro comics they might not have bought before. That is why, as bad as it is so far, i'm sticking to Lost Light alone. Revolution was a horrible idea. But what does anyone think about IDW bringing in Unicron?