Why do so many people dislike the existence of the Hasbro Universe in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm enjoying the spin off stuff like the Revolution tie ins, Revolutionaries, Rom Vs TF, Wrath of Karza and that. They aren't really required reading unless you are into the characters featured but Revolution is just a mess and the previews for First Strike don't give me much hope. Oh no human-swords vs giant robots who can barely kill each other! Who will win? That and they chucked the EDC-Transformer relationship out the window so GI Joe could shoot at the Evil Autobots and their humanitarian efforts. I'd have much rather had conflict with EDC members as to whether Prime was still an ally then the new guys trying to solve everything with bullets only to have a last act epiphany for no reason at all. Part of that is my general annoyance at "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN, AGAIN" events that happen rapid fire.

So give me more of those spin offs please.

2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The cast of Transformers comics had been limited since before the revolution.
    But it's even worse now.
    Call it perception. I don't care.
    But obscure characters (and i'm not talkinf about pseudo-Bumblebees or Lugs) have less chance of getting attention than before the revolution.

3. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I don't dislike it as such. I just don't care. I'm a Transformers fan who got into the franchise through Beast Wars. So GI Joe, Mask, and the others were kinda a non-entity by the time I got into it.

I will say one thing, and this is just an observation, not fact. The Hasbroverse was first announced when TF comics were at their highpoint. It feels a little bit like all the other Hasbro properties riding the Transformers coattails.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We just got Wipe-Out, my man. The first issue of Optimus Prime after the crossover brought in a Micromaster Combiner, two Japanese BW characters, a RID01 character, and an OTFCC exclusive. And there's Armada Sky Blast in Rom vs TF.
    Again, if you ignore the non-Transformers-branded comics, the Transformers titles are prrrretty much entirely unchanged by the shared universe. This complaint is baseless.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I'm honest to God trying to. But are you even reading the other books?

6. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Terrorcon

I'm a TF comic completist, and I don't like the shared universe because now I have this sense that my collection is incomplete without them or that I'm missing out on some TF plot development. For example, I'd love for the Predacons to be in a regular TF book but they are only in Revolutionaries, which so far hasn't seemed that great to me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

I think there's also just a fundamental issue with the way characters are written in the Hasbroverse. So few of them, including TFs, have any deep motivations. It feels like a kid took out all the toys in his toy box and started crafting the shared universe, horrible voice impressions and shallow characterization included. So, by adding more of the same, it kind of reads like getting more nothing.

• Like Like x 3
  8. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could tolerate semi-regular mediocre events when it was just TFs, but now that they always have to have a crossover element, I just can't be bothered. And yeah, I am also a bit of a completionist. That's what typically makes licensed comics so nice. Outside of a few extra tie-ins or miniseries, they're pretty self contained. The Hasbroverse has wrecked that aspect for me.

Also, can we talk about how garbage the Micronauts are? Like, they suck so much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    The two TF ongoings plus occasional tangential minis allowed for deep characterization and long running, intriguing plot threads. To me, this was largely a golden age of TF comics.

Then Hasbro and IDW decided to try to boost each other's sales by tying comic plots to upcoming toy releases, and the writers were forced to make artistic concessions to appease that... almost universally considered a watering down of what made the earlier runs so successful.

Then the two companies did it a second time with the shoehorning of all these other C-list properties into Transformers... watering down part two.

Now the TF books are slowly reading more and more like these satellite properties... 90s Marvel-esque, vapid and shallow.

As for the larger Hasbro Universe being ignorable in Transformers, I'd ask are you reading those other books?

We have TF history happening in ROM Shining armor. We have a Cobra \ Joe invasion on Cybertron. There's no way to ignore the Hasbro Universe unless you're only reading MTMTE, especially considering how much Barber likes to tie continuity together.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gregles

gregles quintesson

I'm not against the idea on principle as I believe it's not what you do but how well you do it that is really important.

Given the insane commercial success of things like marvels cinematic universe this could have turned out quite lucrative but for me the quality of storytelling has really let the side down with inconsistent art and barbers bland storytelling taking centre stage making it an arduous chore to read rather than something ambitious.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Personally, I have nothing against the Hasbro universe being involved with Transformers in a large scale canon / story. I think it has the potential to be just as great as the MCU or DCU.

I just dislike how IDW has handled the other Hasbro properties for the most part, barring some exceptions. But that's more to do with the decreasing quality of IDW's work overall.

12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I was gonna like untill that last part.
    Micronauts is the only good thing to come out of this as far as i'm concerned.

Another thing i hate is the convulted continuity.
    We used to have that with the regular TF comics. But now it's even worse with so many titles at the same time.
    How the hell are you supposed to try and read things chronologically now?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Well, for example, I think I picked up from these threads that Astrotrain has been resurrected? Presumably he's just going to reappear in a TF comic without explanation. And Blitzwing has just disappeared, as far as I know.

14. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Yes, there's a particular type of scene that's started to crop up more and more: bunch of characters roll up, each one gets a nametag and a short description. They exchange quips - everyone gets maybe one or two lines each. Someone says something about the situation being dire, you have a leader figure telling everyone to form up or hit 'em hard and fast or follow the plan. Someone else is weary or sarcastic. Guns, explosions, plot advanced. No character development, no sense of peril, no world-building, no ideas explored. Boilerplate 90s Marvel page-filler.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well, what you picked up is wrong. Astrotrain's body fell back to Earth after Arcee killed him and was served as a MacGuffin in the MASK Annual, but he's not alive again.

16. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's not that I dislike it, it's just a bunch of properties I don't particularly care about, and I haven't seen human/Cybertronian interactions handled interestingly by IDW for a while now so nothing is driving me to read them. When the universe was opened up it made MASK and GI Joe seem like really aggressive idiots who couldn't tell the difference between Optimus Prime and Megatron. I want more Verity Carlo/Marissa Fairborn interactions and less GI Joe First Strike. It all seems like an excuse to not advance the plot on Earth, if we really had access to Cybertronian Tech through the council of worlds you best believe companies like GE and Amazon would be looking to get shit set up and make some money. There is a big profit opportunity in cooperation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    We kinda got a peek at that in the post dark Cybertron, pre Combiner wars chunk of "The Transformers" when Blackrock was cooperating with Galvatron and Soundwave.

But yeah, I'd like to see what humanity does with cybertronian tech that isn't laser guns.

As for the main topic at hand. I'm not opposed entirely to the idea of a shared universe for transformers mask gijoe and whatnot (visionaries is fucking pushing it though) but it would be better off if the universe began that way. Rather than forcing it all into a pre-existing (and critically acclaimed ) Transformers series. That's my main beef.

It does feel as though the Transformers cast of characters has vastly diminished.
    Mtmte had a cast of almost 200 and now we're down to a dozen or so on lost light.
    Aside from the new colonist autobots and Victorion it feels like the only transformers I ever see in Optimus Prime are Optimus, Arcee, and Soundwave.
    And character diversity when straight out the goddamned window when Till All Are One got shitcanned.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Calvatron

Calvatron Active Member

In RID. We got and entire issue designed to give actual character portrayal to skybite and almost 2 years of small plot relevant inclusions that further presented the character identifiably behaving in ways that match the explicitely presented aspects of his personality.

It was nice to see wipe out, but in the context of the one conversation we saw, he could have been a twenty other named bots and any idw genericon could have substituted with no loss.

I can define what makes skybite, well skybite from his first issues appearance. I have have no idea what makes wipe-out unique from his appearance, nor would i be any better off trying to pick traits from his toy bio out of multiple choice based on his appearance.

The problen with the hasboroverse is that most people are transformers fans, or hama j.i. Joe fans, and all the new model has brought outside of the revolutionaries comic has been massive interuptions in the flow of the narrative in tf plots and exactly zero hama j.i. joe. It interupts the flow of the stories, and adds nothing to those franchises. For the other new additions, the hasboroverse is the only thing keeping the lines in print. We could have skywarp in joe and the current roster in OP without all the interuptions and added baggar

I don't hate the hasboroverse, but it hasn't added anything that was missing to
    Joe or tf, and it's a huge disruption and hassle to the main plots of those lines. It's basically parasitic to tf.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a unified Hasbroverse. For all intents and purposes, for G1, the Transformers and G.I. Joe always existed together in one world. They just never interacted storywise and you didn't need to know beyond a few cameos that this was a thing. And so far, other than our crossovers, the other properties haven't really affected the Transformers franchises.

If anything, the Transformers have merely enhanced the other Hasbro properties. G.I. Joe has Skywarp now. That's pretty cool. Okay, maybe if you aren't a purely Joe fan, but I never really liked those guys anyway. What's up with the M.A.S.K. vehicles? They are build based on Cybertron tech. That nicely explains why they are transforming vehicles. Awesome. The Micronauts literally live in a world inside the body of Micronus Prime. That kind of blew my mind a bit. Rom, well, Rom doesn't really... forget Rom for a second. Even the A.I. and holographic tech in Jem can be said to be an extension of Transformers tech that's been studied since the bots made earthfall.

I think if done right it widens the sandbox, allows for more dynamic stories that allow the various properties to go beyond their typical roster of nemeses, and forces the writers to come up with more clever ways for how these various groups would interact with each other.

Was Revolution a misstep? Yes, but only due to its bland storytelling. For bringing the various Hasbro properties together, it was brilliant. I only wish they could do something for Rom. I love Rom. I have the entire original series collected. I was so excited when I heard it was coming back. I'm still collecting the book now. But boy does it not know where it's going. Rom sort of needed to be placed in this combined world, but he also needed some time to grow into his own before being thrown into a crossover that really did little to help his character or his prestige and presence within this larger world. The Micronauts in contrast have a wonderful first arc dedicated to exploring their world and introducing their cast. I kind of wish they'd just head back to Microspace because the series begins to fall short after Revolution. Wrath of Karza has been fairly good for getting the series back on track, but I sort of wish the Transformers had been left out.

Okay, now it sounds like I'm saying the shared Hasbroverse is bad. But that's only because those two properties, which have pretty much been absent from the public consciousness since their Marvel series ended, need a little bit of space. Microspace. Here's hoping the upcoming Rom & the Micronauts sends them back.

20. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I think you're saying what we're all saying...

It opens up a lot of potential, but none of us trust IDW to live up to the potential in any meaningful way.

Honestly, the TF world is already so huge in cast and timeline, that the best, deepest, most resonant stories have only ever come when the writer had a chance to whittle down the cast and make the stories very personal and multilayered.

Nothing that comes out of the shared universe will be like that in the foreseeable future because IDW is mostly only using it (at least on the TF side) to tell broad, vapid action stories.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017