Why do so many people dislike the existence of the Hasbro Universe in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The comics from other franchises do not affect the comics of Transformers, you're not required to read them to understand the comics of Transformers, and Revolutionaries is practically a comic of Transformers because of the 4 main characters 3 are characters of Transformers ex-RID, and also have two Transformers (and the writer is Jon Barber). Even the GI Joe characters that appear in Optimus Prime are pretty much the same characters that were part of EDC, just changed the name of the organization and they have GI Joe stickers on some of the military vehicles.

Although I agree that Revolution was not great, Revolution was a good crossover, better than some of the Transformers, besides Optimus Prime and TAAO have a good quality (OP has the same quality as exRID, so the crossovers did not affect anything), in fact all the comics (less Mask) are good to and the only one that may have gotten worse was LL and was the only one unaffected by the crossovers (although I still like the comic).

And about Skywarp being in GI Joe is being good to him, as he has already had more prominence and development than all of his earlier appearances at IDW.

2. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I mostly agree with you, though I can understand the idea of, like... "I really like Kup/Skywarp and want to read the things they show up in, but I really don't care at all about G.I. Joe, so I end up reading Revolutionaries/G.I. Joe even though I don't really want to".

But otherwise, you're pretty much right. And I feel like people who feel the need to read Revolutionaries/GI Joe/Micronauts/MASK/whatever out of a sense of obligation to read everything with Transformers in should reconsider their priorities.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't like Transformers on Earth, so I really only check in with Optimus Prime during Comixology sales. When I do crack it open, I've yet to see anything that really changes my preferences. I've had a bellyful of GI Joe / Transformer interaction. Most of the special things about ROM or Micronauts originated elsewhere, and I have a hard time extricating them from the Marvel Universe (whereas TFs only really had a few brushes with the MU and, other than Death's Head, none of it was particularly important). If I didn't like Revolution (and I didn't), I'm not really sure why I'd want to follow Revolutionaries or First Strike. The First Strike preview that was in some IDW comics last month / First Strike #0, was, to me, exactly what I didn't want and was worried about when the shared universe was announced. I don't like humans milling around on Cybertron or being able to realistically hold their own against Cybertronians. Then you have the wacky macguffin that apparently enables humans to fight Transformers, and Blitzwing is still being tortured or whatever, just like in Revolution. Additionally, I don't like Sitterson's take on GI Joe (fortunately for me, they still make the "real" GI Joe comic by Larry Hama). Action Man and MASK are direct outcroppings of that, so again, I'm not interested.

Right now, TAAO is over. The shared universe is directly represented in one of two Transformers books. If you just want TFs, there's only really Lost Light to read, and even that has tied in indirectly once and will probably do so again.

If you like the shared universe, more power to you; just realize that it's probably not to everybody's taste.

I definitely agree with Boatformer, tho'; if you're not into that stuff (Revolutionaries, et al.), don't read it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, like, if you're not interested, fair enough. It's the people who hate its very existence and wish it didn't exist that confuse me.

(That said, humans being able to hold their own against Transformers goes back to the Neo-Knights. The TFA supervillains, Sector 7, M.E.C.H., Skywatch from the Costa ongoing... it's never really been the case that humans don't pose a threat to Cybertronians. Plus, most of the human characters in IDW are literally hauling Cybertronian weaponry.)

5. Mr P

Mr P Member

I've always thought the Transformers and GI Joe cross overs to be tediously boring. Never got what the fascination is with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the benefits of Transformers was that it was traditionally self-contained. There was a 4-issue GI Joe crossover in the 80s and that was that as far as G1 went.

I like comics, but they've always been so... incestuous. As a kid I disliked Marvel because it was so hard to follow:

"I thought you were dead!"
    "No, I was brought back to life in Thor #273 after my ghost escaped the astral plane in Power Pack #42." Balls to that.

As much as I wanted to just concentrate on a single story, the nature of the Marvel Universe was such that something extraneous always seemed to creep in; I got the feeling that I was missing a vital part of the story by not picking up other books.

To me, by crossing over and weaving their way into other franchises, Transformers is leaving behind one of the things that attracted me to it in the first place: that is, you didn't have to read Spitfire and the Troubleshooters Vol. 2 issue 6 to know what the hell was happening. Its isolation from the wider Marvel Universe was a blessing, not a curse.

Plus, you get the sense that Transformers are just muscling in on other franchises' turf. Are Visionaries fans really that eager to see if Perceptor can beat Arzon's staff in a game of Scrabble, or would they rather see their heroes have an adventure all of their own?

I dunno, maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but I long for the days when Transformers was Transformers and I didn't have to simultaneously keep track of which interchangeable beardy old white guy was Cindarr and which was Snow Job.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

The problem is that you *do* have to pay attention to them to keep track of characters coming and going in the Transformers comic.

And they massively overburden the cast. Any comic where you have to use name panels on almost every page to keep track of all the characters has gone wrong.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Buuuuut... TAAO, MTMTE/LL, and RID/OP are all pretty much isolated from each other, let alone the other Hasbroverse titles...?
    And the cast of OP is exactly the same as before the shared universe, plus two background characters and Marissa's dad...

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Transformers is pretty much the least adversely-affected property. Because EVERYTHING still revolves around the Transformers characters. But if you happen to be a fan of some of the other franchises -- which clearly, you are not -- it's a totally different story. For example, I don't mind GI Joe existing in the Transformers world -- I think that works okay -- but I very much mind Transformers existing in the GI Joe world. Because the idea of permanent alien robot occupation of Earth turns the GI Joe franchise into something completely different. It has to. Whereas GI Joe being the human characters in TF makes zero difference to the TF franchise whatsoever. And anything is a step up from IDW Spike Witwicky anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    What "coming and going?" Optimus Prime is the only TF title with any non-TF originated characters. And even then, it's only 3 minor G.I. Joes in the form of Flint, Mainframe, and Chameleon. You know where else those characters appear? NOWHERE.
    Unless you're referring to Revolutionaries, which a) the entire point of that book is to explore the shared universe, and b) the appearances of other characters in Revolutionaries basically just boils down to "they exist and show up." It's not like any major plot points from ROM were present the first issue.

Not really. You can read ROM, Micronauts, and (god help you) M.A.S.K. without ever having to worry about the Transformers books.

11. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Outside of "oh right, Revolution happened", have the Transformers even been mentioned in Rom?

12. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well, there was that one time the Space Knights were mistaken for Transformers. Outside of that? Nope.

EDIT: And I guess Rom and Orphion have mentioned that "Cybertronians are on this planet" a couple times. Nothing substantial though.

13. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the Hasbro titles are terrible, and this happened at the same time the Transformers titles all took a dramatic turn in quality. The constant Marvelization of the titles isn't helping. This is where Marvel and now Mini-Me Marvel / IDW run their titles in short bursts, have a big event that is usually shit, then relaunch their titles with shiny new first issues.

The shit storm going on with the guy who is (was...) writing GI JOE is not helping the Hasbro Universe titles have any credibility either. I know Hasbro isn't happy with IDW's content or their low sales. But when an IDW writer spends weeks verbally abusing longtime fans, might be the last straw for this partnership.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

The Transformers comics were doing just okay, and then the already messy lore got retroactively conjoined with every 80's Hasbro boy toy property. It was sudden and inorganic. It doesn't feel like M.A.S.K. and G.I. Joe has been happening this whole time. I mean, didn't Megatron kill like a third of humanity in AHM? No idea why that feels weird to me, but it does. Where was M.A.S.K. and the Joes then?

Unless I missed something, isn't it insinuated that these organizations have existed for awhile? Or is it even more messy, and humanity just decided to form all of the 80's franchises in response to...?

• Like Like x 4
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You don't get it, you're never going to get it, just drop it.

16. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

MASK was formed during Revolution, and almost all of the pre-Revolution IDW GI Joe books took place either before the -ations or in the period between the end of the Costa Ongoing and exRID #28, when there were basically no Transformers on Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Ah, okay, makes sense. Actually just finished rereading Revolution. So what were all of these guys doing during AHM? Seems like a huge global event that would have required the Joes at the least.

18. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Revolution #1 and the preview for Revolutionaries #8 imply they were around, just "off camera".

19. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I haven't read any of the Hasbro Universe stuff beyond a few issues because I haven't enjoyed it. I'mtrying Rom vs Transformers because of Milne more than anything, he's sorely missed elsewhere so I'll take what I can get. He is knocking it out of the park on that book.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think the problem is that it feels incredibly forced, much like Marvel's pushing of the Inhumans. It's something that really needed to hapoen organically, rather than just dumping it all in a single crossover and proclaiming it to be the new status quo.

It also fundamentally changes the GI Joe/MASK concepts. You can't add giant alien transforming robots to another property without it having a massve impact. The (relatively) grounded human concepts have to adjust to a totally different status quo.

• Like Like x 4