Why do Rocklords get so much hate?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Fuzz, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

I came across this article the other day, and it dawned on me that most articles I've read online that involve Rocklords usually don't ever have much good to say about the toyline. Usually, the reasons are simply because they transformed into rocks, and rocks are boring. The authors completely ignore all the other cool aspects of the toyline.

While I'll somewhat agree that you can't do a whole hell of a lot with rocks, the characters themselves where all solidly constructed with a mix of plastic and metal, had cool looking marble effects in their plastics, and for the most part, had interesting and unique designs and names. They also had a decent storyline to go along with the animated GoBot movie. They even had a combiner (the Fossil Lords), vehicles, and several sub-lines - Jewel Lords, Rockasaurs, Shock Rocks, and Narlies. Another thing I'll credit Tonka with is at least they came up with something original. Every other line of transforming robots at the time was mostly made up of vehicles, planes, insects, etc.

I really wish the line was able to survive for longer than it did. Unfortunately, like all other transforming toylines at the time, they simply got crushed by the popularity of Transformers. I'm proud to say I have an almost 100% complete Rocklords collection. I just need three more Narlies and couple of weapons.

I didn't have many TFs when I was a kid, but I did have Rocklords. It makes me sad to see something I love so much from my childhood get bashed so much all the time.

2. AMG

AMG Old School

I remember when Rocklords first came out back in the day, kids were going crazy for them.

3. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The Rocklords movie came out in 1986 right? I think at the time the whole Transfoming robot concept plus several other lines popularity were starting to wane. I did not have any rocklords myself but a friend did and they seemed like nice toys.